AV Receiver connected with old integrated amplifier

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What he means there is that there could be a difference in gain structure between the 2 amps which could create an imbalance in volume levels between your center and mains. It could also explain why you think the Sansui sounds better when you switch between them. If you have a good db meter you can level match manually, but I don't see a way for you to use the Yamaha's built in room correction (YPAO) the way you have it connected.
He can use YPAO with this arrangement....it's just acting as an external amp on the pre-outs or am I missing something?

D

Danimaimi65

Enthusiast
Have you tried just the Yamaha by itself? By that I mean did you run YPAO and take all 8 measurements? What's nice about that is it will automatically set all your levels, distances and some EQ (I think EQ, not super familiar with Yamaha units today). I think I would repurpose the Sansui in a dedicated 2 channel system in another room or something. Right now it sounds like you're using the Yamaha to power 1 speaker? How are you doing that? Is your center speaker plugged into the center channel output on the Yamaha and you're using Dolby surround? You said 3.0 so no side or rear speakers?
Yamaha is connected only to center speaker to the center speaker connections.
I don’t have other rooms I can connect Sansui separately.
EQ was measured, but consider that I listen to HiRES music with no EQ modifications.
I ran YPAO, for movies purpose, but with 3.0 configuration is not as relevant

D

Danimaimi65

Enthusiast
He can use YPAO with this arrangement....it's just acting as an external amp on the pre-outs or am I missing something?
They not work at the same time, Yamaha driving the center, Sansui the front speakers

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I think he's powering the mains with the Sansui, then the Sansui preouts to the Yamaha for the center. I'll heartily admit I could be wrong because I'm still a little confused... lol

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
They not work at the same time, Yamaha driving the center, Sansui the front speakers
So you use the center speaker only when using the Yamaha? Why connect the Yamaha to the Sansui at all?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I think he's powering the mains with the Sansui, then the Sansui preouts to the Yamaha for the center. I'll heartily admit I could be wrong because I'm still a little confused... lol
I took it to be Yamaha pre-out to one of the Sansui's line ins.....but some clarification of this convolution would be nice.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
So then the Yamaha and Sansui are used together for such after all?
I really think that's what he's doing. He has a Sansui output going to the center channel input on the Yamaha and is using it to power only the center channel. Sansui is powering R/L mains. That pretty much renders YPAO useless... the whole thing is screwy. I really don't get it. I'd just use the Yamaha and be done with it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I really think that's what he's doing. He has a Sansui output going to the center channel input on the Yamaha and is using it to power only the center channel. Sansui is powering R/L mains. That pretty much renders YPAO useless... the whole thing is screwy. I really don't get it. I'd just use the Yamaha and be done with it.
Gotcha. I get confused with these goofy convoluted "solutions".

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I took it to be Yamaha pre-out to one of the Sansui's line ins.....but some clarification of this convolution would be nice.
Nope, I think it's reversed.
Hi, I currently own a Yamaha A RX 1080 receiver which I connected to a Sansui A X911 DG integrated amplifier pre-out to line.
The Yamaha is connected to a Klipsch RP 500c and the Sansui to JBL L100 Classic. It’s a 3.0 configuration.
So you use the center speaker only when using the Yamaha? Why connect the Yamaha to the Sansui at all?
And this is exactly what I was wanting to know! lol

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

When I see avr to amp....I take it literally. Pre out/line being more specific as to unit would help. Nor do I see a pre-out on the Sansui but the manual is a bit low res. This changes things up if this is the case.

When I glanced at the manual I saw a processing loop, and it has low output so that could be the low level issue?

D

Danimaimi65

Enthusiast

I use both, Yamaha is connected to center and Sansui to L/R. They work together when I want to listen to movies surround, I use Sansui for music and direct (no surround EQ) with Yamaha as pure pre (volume control) and Yamaha only when watching regular tv from center speaker

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I use both, Yamaha is connected to center and Sansui to L/R. They work together when I want to listen to movies surround, I use Sansui for music and direct (no surround EQ) with Yamaha as pure pre (volume control) and Yamaha only when watching regular tv from center speaker
This still is confusing as described. Describing specific inputs/outputs used on both Yamaha and Sansui are in order.

D

Danimaimi65

Enthusiast
When I see avr to amp....I take it literally. Pre out/line being more specific as to unit would help. Nor do I see a pre-out on the Sansui but the manual is a bit low res. This changes things up if this is the case.

When I glanced at the manual I saw a processing loop, and it has low output so that could be the low level issue?
Yamaha pre out connected with RCA to line input of Sansui

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Because I also watch movies, so they work as surround together
Here's the thing, the Sansui is a stereo receiver and you're using one of its preouts to send a signal to your Yamaha's center channel input. Which preout are you using from the Sansui to the Yamaha? It can't be a center channel signal, it'd be either R or L going to your center and that is not surround. It's just goofy. You're better off just using the Sansui and let your main speakers create the phantom image. Your front 3 don't match anyway.

If you want actual surround sound, or actual 3.0 then you should just use the Yamaha by itself.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
It was an abbreviation “pre out to line”
So you are using the Yamaha as a prepro and to power only the center? That makes a lot more sense. It makes less sense that you would hear a difference tho because your Yamaha is doing all of the processing either way tho, so this configuration you have makes zero sense. The amp section in the Yamaha is beefier than the Sansui and whoever told you it has more RMS power or other such nonsense is just simply wrong, lol.

If there really is a significant difference I would attribute it to the fact the Sansui was recently refurbished and assume it's no longer accurate. Meaning whatever was done do it, wasn't done correctly. And seriously. If you're worried about preout voltage then just use the Yamaha by itself. Problem solved, and it has more power anyway!

D

Danimaimi65

Enthusiast
So you are using the Yamaha as a prepro and to power only the center? That makes a lot more sense. It makes less sense that you would hear a difference tho because your Yamaha is doing all of the processing either way tho, so this configuration you have makes zero sense. The amp section in the Yamaha is beefier than the Sansui and whoever told you it has more RMS power or other such nonsense is just simply wrong, lol.

If there really is a significant difference I would attribute it to the fact the Sansui was recently refurbished and assume it's no longer accurate. Meaning whatever was done do it, wasn't done correctly. And seriously. If you're worried about preout voltage then just use the Yamaha by itself. Problem solved, and it has more power anyway!
I take your note, thank you for your help!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis