Salk Sound HT built around SS8 Towers

G

gr8eyes

Junior Audioholic
OK ,Thanks for your input Ryan. I'll look again at that H2TL and Veracity ST. I'm realizing the type of tweeter does make a big difference except for some dispersion differences but I do want to try and keep them the same across the front.

I did email Jim and he responded. He was in agreement wiyh most of you here that have been giving me advice.

The 9.5's and the SS8" are out. He recommended the BeAT's that are identical to the 9.5 except the 7 woofer. He said the Encores would work but seemed to elaborate more on the BeATs, So ill look more at those.

He also said he's working on 2-3 new centers to match better with some of the songs but he didn't elaborate as to what they were. I'm hoping one is a satori tweeter and audio technology mid with appropriate excel 6-7 inch woofers, or the same except an Eaton Mid instead of the Audio technology.

We'll see. all I know is my excitement level is rising and I'm still quite a ways away from being able to order.

gr8eyes

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The Song 3 BeATs and the SS6M seem like a match made in heaven for L/R and Center + Surrounds+ Rears... You get your full batch of Be Tweets and Satori Woofers. I suspect that would be a sweet rig! ;)
Using a good Standmount as a center channel is not unheard of. Just requires a little planning.

Glad you are finally in touch with Jim.

G

gr8eyes

Junior Audioholic
Ryan,
Thats a great combination I hadn't thought of. So you feel the SSM6 would work as a center channel?. Could I just lay it down on its side?
I'll run that past Jim as well.

And I'm certainly not opposed to using Raal based surrounds either, as Dennis and Jim, and some of you guys have suggested they would work well in combination with domes across the front. I've actually considered the supercharged song surrounds with the BeATs too

There really are unlimited combinations with Jims line up.

Gr8eyes

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Ryan,
Thats a great combination I hadn't thought of. So you feel the SSM6 would work as a center channel?. Could I just lay it down on its side?
I'll run that past Jim as well.

And I'm certainly not opposed to using Raal based surrounds either, as Dennis and Jim, and some of you guys have suggested they would work well in combination with domes across the front. I've actually considered the supercharged song surrounds with the BeATs too

There really are unlimited combinations with Jims line up.
No, you wouldn't lay it down on it's side. You'd place it upright.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
No, you wouldn't lay it down on it's side. You'd place it upright.
This!
Just requires proper planning.
Use a wall mount for the television, have your equipment off to the side/not centered under the TV, get a good stand which will get the speaker up as close to the bottom of the TV as possible...
As a music first person, my TV is about 1’ behind my speakers to diminish any diffraction effects.
I will soon build an equipment rack And move my gear off the front wall, leaving only my speakers and TV. With that, I will be able to turn my BMR upright (will require turning the tweeter 90°, but no other changes) and put it on its own stand.
The upright speaker is far preferable to the horizontal orientation. Even the best horizontal speakers usually introduce some lobing of the sound, though proper design implementation will minimize that and improve sound dispersion across the listening area.
Some people use a third matching tower as their center, others perhaps a smaller tower (like MA Silver 500 at L/R and Silver 300 at Center...), others, a good standmount.
All depends on your goals. :D

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Some people use a third matching tower as their center, others perhaps a smaller tower (like MA Silver 500 at L/R and Silver 300 at Center...), others, a good standmount.
All depends on your goals. :D
I got a big fat "NO" and a death glare when I broached the subject of a third Song 3 tower as my center with the wife.

G

gr8eyes

Junior Audioholic
I'm with you on the wife thing.

She's not big into the audio/HT room thing anyway and the only input she's had is "you need to find a classy cabinet to put all that junk in"

She does like the speakers I showed her, Curly maple with silver gray stain. But before that the speakers all had to be in wall/ceiling.

So a rack on the side with a center standing speaker may not be in the cards for me.

I'll have to be very diplomatic broaching that subject,

I could get a very low sleek cabinet and just stand it on that and put the bottom of the TV at the top of the speaker

gr8eyes

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I'm with you on the wife thing.

She's not big into the audio/HT room thing anyway and the only input she's had is "you need to find a classy cabinet to put all that junk in"

She does like the speakers I showed her, Curly maple with silver gray stain. But before that the speakers all had to be in wall/ceiling.

So a rack on the side with a center standing speaker may not be in the cards for me.

I'll have to be very diplomatic broaching that subject,

I could get a very low sleek cabinet and just stand it on that and put the bottom of the TV at the top of the speaker

gr8eyes
Depending on which center/speaker you go with you may need a new TV stand anyway. The one I had wasn't rated to hold the weight of the Song 3 center, so I ended up ordering a new one and wall mounting the TV. My wife at first was against the idea, but loves it now because I got a full motion mount, so she can swivel it towards her seating position.

G

gr8eyes

Junior Audioholic
NINAUDIO
I’ll be mounting mine as well so I might could make it work

Ryanosaur,
Yes we do

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
This is the Wall Mount model I used:
Works great, flexible enough to be able to get it adjusted for mounting on the studs. The dual arm design keeps it stable. :)
@NINaudio , didn't you end up going with something similar?
I went with something super similar, but that extended a bit further:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CKL9U2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
NINAUDIO
I’ll be mounting mine as well so I might could make it work
If you need to find a sturdier TV stand, let me know and I'll point you to another thread where I went through a bunch of options.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Also, based on your musical choices I had a feeling that Jim would point you towards the Beats. I'm hoping that speaking with him has helped you!

G

gr8eyes

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for the tV mount suggestions guys.

Jim's feedback is going to be an invaluable source.

It looks like, right now anyway The BeATs have the early lead right out of the gate so i'll see what else he comes up with and also get his ideas on using the SS6M all around.

You know it seems odd to me that I would spend's that much more on surrounds and center, than I would the Mains. But as far as Matching up it makes sense.

gr8eyes

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The 6Ms are steep, no doubt about it. I only recommend that as an option because of your previously stated insistence for matching drivers as much as possible.
They are just as pricey, but the Silk ATs could be another option.
Smart money would be surround and rear channels using the Song Surround +. Perhaps Ellis 1801, or the WOW1s.

I clearly love fantasizing about Salk's gear. :) My own plans for speaker design are based largely on my conversations with both Dennis and Jim, and hoping to work out a build with the smooth FR and Voicing that Dennis is known for.

Hopefully this will be fun for you to bring to fruition.

Oh... and don't forget about the Subs! Jim can build those too! :p

Last edited:
G

gr8eyes

Junior Audioholic
Ryan per you or NIN's recommendation I
m happy putting ribbons in surround positions. So that opens up a lot of possibilities.

I do want to stay the same up front with either domes or ribbons, but i'm not tied to either in a hard and fast way.

I think the encores really attracted me because of their base extension to 25 Hz. Jims thoughts are the BeATs would be plenty, especially since I plan on running 2 15 inch Subs.

The only problem for me with the encores or the BeATs is the Center channel. From the current offerings you have the song center at 1,000 dollars and the SS8Be at 4750 dollars. Thats it for Centers with Domes. it seems to me if Jim could come up with something in the 2800-3300 dollar range using, just for example the satori or hiquphon tweeter with the eaton or audio technology mid with a 6-7 inch seas woofer, that would pair well with a lot of his Domed floor standers or Monitors, and make a killer HT and 2 channel system.

And in fact ,I have suspicions, that something like this is being worked on for production. Now I don't know this as fact but lets say it wouldn't surprise me.

I had originally planned on HSU 15 ported subs but since the cost is coming down from my original thoughts using the SS8 I may change to the rhythmics Jim uses :)

gr8eyes

Last edited:
G

gr8eyes

Junior Audioholic
Now if he could just come up with a Hiquphon tweeter and a cheaper 5 inch Seas woofer set in some kind of frame to place as atmos, I could have a complete 7.2.4 SALK HT system. How cool would that be.

Sorry I got Waaaaaay off topic here, but Jim and Dennis if you're listening

gr8eyes

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis