Canton Vento vs Chrono SL (models with ceramic tweeters)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Sounds really nice as well. The 9.2’s sound as good as I thought they would and as I now have a pretty good bit of experience with the brand at this point, I wasn’t really expecting anything other than that conclusion.
The thing that really blew me away was the two HSU subwoofers.
Can you offer any comments in the differences in sound between the Vento 9.2 and the 820.2?
I hesitate to ask because I consider the 820.2 to be the point where diminishing returns starts to kick in pretty heavy. Canton's design consistency is good enough that I have no doubt that the Vento Reference are better, but I am not sure how much confidence you can have in differences without having an instant level-matched switch-over in the same room between them (and ideally, being double-blinded). But if there is something that stands out, let us know!

Outlaw receiver, Canton Vento Reference speakers and Hsu subs - that is one perfect little system (that can likely blast you out off the room - I'm sure those Reference drivers can take some power and put out)!
There is something about a high quality bookshelf 2.2 that appeals to me!
Probably mostly that had you gone with Vento Reference towers, it would have cost $6000 instead of $1500 for the pair of speakers, but you got that Vento Reference state of the art SQ (and it is hard to believe that the Vento Reference 3.2 would do better below 80Hz than the Hsu). How the tower compare with the bookshelfs above 80Hz is an ongoing debate, but I doubt you are kicking yourself over how the 9.2's play at 100Hz!

Curious, what happened with the Yamaha Stereo receiver? I always loved the look of those older units! Was it starting to show its age? or was it a weaker model? or did the Hsu's corrupt you such that you "... must... have...subwoofers" (receiver with bass management?

Last edited:
Gryph

Gryph

Audioholic
Can you offer any comments in the differences in sound between the Vento 9.2 and the 820.2?
I hesitate to ask because I consider the 820.2 to be the point where diminishing returns starts to kick in pretty heavy. Canton's design consistency is good enough that I have no doubt that the Vento Reference are better, but I am not sure how much confidence you can have in differences without having an instant level-matched switch-over in the same room between them (and ideally, being double-blinded). But if there is something that stands out, let us know!

Outlaw receiver, Canton Vento Reference speakers and Hsu subs - that is one perfect little system (that can likely blast you out off the room - I'm sure those Reference drivers can take some power and put out)!
There is something about a high quality bookshelf 2.2 that appeals to me!
Probably mostly that had you gone with Vento Reference towers, it would have cost $6000 instead of $1500 for the pair of speakers, but you got that Vento Reference state of the art SQ (and it is hard to believe that the Vento Reference 3.2 would do better below 80Hz than the Hsu). How the tower compare with the bookshelfs above 80Hz is an ongoing debate, but I doubt you are kicking yourself over how the 9.2's play at 100Hz!

Curious, what happened with the Yamaha Stereo receiver? I always loved the look of those older units! Was it starting to show its age? or was it a weaker model? or did the Hsu's corrupt you such that you "... must... have...subwoofers" (receiver with bass management?
I think the biggest differences between 820 and 9.2 lyes with the cabinet size and the 9.2’s larger driver giving a more present mid bass due to the larger driver and slightly higher crossover point.
I’m not sure I could tell if it were just a difference in crossover tweaks and components if that happens to be where a large part of the difference lyes.
I tried both the 820’s and my 826’s out in the middle of the room and while they are as clear and concise, they just don’t seem to have the same presence of the larger 9.2’s.
Perhaps blindfolded this would be less the case but it’s how it seems to me.
Once I put the 820’s back on the dresser with the PM-7005 and listen to them, your point on the diminishing returns becomes blatantly apparent as I could be very happy if this simple 2.0 setup were the one and only I could afford.
I’d be real curious in the differences between this 9.2 & Ref 9k, now that is a huge jump in cost far beyond my comfort level.

Until incorporating the dual HSU’s I’d been very happy with my 2.0 setups. Now I’m not sure I could go completely back to that.
I have listened to the 9.2’s on their own without bass management turned on and while they put out good low end in full range mode, no speaker I’ve ever owned or likely will can go as low and controlled as those two subwoofers.

The Outlaw receiver serves very well as a single box solution for my needs. I will however be adding a pair of Outlaw 2220 mono blocks to this system as I think these speakers will benefit from the additional headroom. My listening volumes are pretty sedate but believe I could overdrive the 2160 driving these 9.2’s if not careful.

The Yamaha was just a receiver I really liked the looks of and it sounded pretty good as well. At this point though it needs a new transformer and if going to the expense and trouble of doing that, I would just do a full refresh. So it will sit for awhile as I put the funds towards one of Outlaws 5 channel amps and the two mono blocks for the 2.2 setup.

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
You've probably seen this, but just in case, here are some measurements that @Trell posted in another thread:

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
You've probably seen this, but just in case, here are some measurements that @Trell posted in another thread:
@KEW. You kept one Vento or Chrono SL with a 7in driver, right? 830.2 or 536.2 ?

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I have both, why?
So maybe I missed your comparison of the 830.2 with 536.2? :)

I think I guessed right with the 836 over the 536.2 but maybe I overspent. I love the rounded cabinets of the Vento though. :)

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall

One thing to note here is that even though the 876 is the shortest, the tweeter appears to be positioned higher than any of the other towers!
maybe for that "shorter" model it was the best way to get the tweeter as close to seated ear level as possible?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
maybe for that "shorter" model it was the best way to get the tweeter as close to seated ear level as possible?
The shortest tower is 37-3/8" tall, the tweeter is at 34".
I use Yoga blocks to raise it ~7.5" to get it to ear height.
I am 6'-1" so nothing extreme.
These are German speakers so I am sure Canton has these tuned to work at this lower height, but it is not what we are used to seeing!.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
So maybe I missed your comparison of the 830.2 with 536.2? :)

I think I guessed right with the 836 over the 536.2 but maybe I overspent. I love the rounded cabinets of the Vento though. :)
DOH! I need to compare the two. I just got the 830.2 fairly recently when it was at a pretty low price (maybe $700?).
I had compared the 536.2 vs the 820.2, but that was not ideal because the 536.2 had the larger woofer!
I did not think to do the comparison when I got the 830.2!
I really do believe there is a chance that the only difference is the cabinets! However, that is why I asked earlier if anyone had the 826.2 or the 836.2. I think you can take a flashlight and read the model number off of the tweeter through the port hole and see if it is a match for the 526.2 or 536.2!
I consider it another indicator that they are likely equivalent that you can currently buy a pair of the Vento 826's for the same $600 that it costs to buy a pair of the Chrono SL 526.2! Free bug shape!!!

Last edited:
ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
I would like to add something here. I own both the Canton A45 Towers and just repurchased a set on the Canton Reference 9.2DC bookshelf speakers. The Reference 9.2 has a better tweeter sound to me. It is more clear and has a better sound stage. The tower sounds a bit colder and less clear. I will go out and say the Reference 9.2 are the BEST speakers I have ever heard. Even better than the RAAL ribbons I have owned. They are a tremendous buy at $1299.00

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I would like to add something here. I own both the Canton A45 Towers and just repurchased a set on the Canton Reference 9.2DC bookshelf speakers. The Reference 9.2 has a better tweeter sound to me. It is more clear and has a better sound stage. The tower sounds a bit colder and less clear. I will go out and say the Reference 9.2 are the BEST speakers I have ever heard. Even better than the RAAL ribbons I have owned. They are a tremendous buy at $1299.00
I wish you could still get them for that, I'd be tempted to spring for a pair!
Currently going for $1499.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
You know, that describes pretty well what I hear between my Ultras and Sierra 2s. The Ultras are pretty clear, but they do seem colder. The word "clinical" comes to mind. The Sierras are a little more detailed, warmer and more transparent I would say.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
You know, that describes pretty well what I hear between my Ultras and Sierra 2s. The Ultras are pretty clear, but they do seem colder. The word "clinical" comes to mind. The Sierras are a little more detailed, warmer and more transparent I would say.
Save up for those Cantons the tweeters will blow your mind.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Save up for those Cantons the tweeters will blow your mind.
At this point I don't know how much better it can get. These RAAL tweets are something pretty special.

I might want to avoid listening to any Canton's for the foreseeable future, lol.

Gryph

Gryph

Audioholic
I wish you could still get them for that, I'd be tempted to spring for a pair!
Currently going for $1499.
Tell me about it. I remember them being $1150 or $1199 on sale last year and then I was getting ready to buy a month or so back they were $1299 but piano white was out of stock so I waited.

White came back in stock and both colors jumped to $1399.
I hemmed and hawed for two days then put a pair of white in my shopping cart but I was slow on the trigger and I let them sit in my cart a couple hours and when I finally hit check out the new price at check out came up as $1499. I was like WTF, so I backed out and logged back in finding the price had actually gone up another hundred. $200 increase in two days, I was like naw not doing it and just decided I’d see if it dropped in a week or two.

Well a few weeks goes bye and no price change but the piano white was now listed as almost out of stock again and I said to myself with this Covid stuff going on, who knows when the next shipment is going to arrive, and is it worth waiting 6-8 months for them to go on sale again.
So I paid the $200 premium for piano white and because I waited to pull that trigger on my in cart products
Truth is now after having them for a week, the $200-$300 is just water under the bridge and I have no regrets as I got the color I wanted and am more than happy with the speakers.
But when you see a sale at A4L strike while the iron is hot as you just never know when it will turn back the other way.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Tell me about it. I remember them being $1150 or $1199 on sale last year and then I was getting ready to buy a month or so back they were $1299 but piano white was out of stock so I waited.

White came back in stock and both colors jumped to $1399.
I hemmed and hawed for two days then put a pair of white in my shopping cart but I was slow on the trigger and I let them sit in my cart a couple hours and when I finally hit check out the new price at check out came up as $1499. I was like WTF, so I backed out and logged back in finding the price had actually gone up another hundred. $200 increase in two days, I was like naw not doing it and just decided I’d see if it dropped in a week or two.

Well a few weeks goes bye and no price change but the piano white was now listed as almost out of stock again and I said to myself with this Covid stuff going on, who knows when the next shipment is going to arrive, and is it worth waiting 6-8 months for them to go on sale again.
So I paid the $200 premium for piano white and because I waited to pull that trigger on my in cart products
Truth is now after having them for a week, the $200-$300 is just water under the bridge and I have no regrets as I got the color I wanted and am more than happy with the speakers.
But when you see a sale at A4L strike while the iron is hot as you just never know when it will turn back the other way.
I spoke to A4L. These are their last batch of the Reference 9.2DC. The containers of products were a bit more in cost so they had to raise the sale price. I ended up paying 200 more as well. These are worth double IMO.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I’m thinking if Kew thinks 9.2 beats Vento 830.2/836 by a wide margin, I might even be tempted if they drop to $1200 or so in black next December. LOL :)

I got my open box black Vento 836 for $749 and paid $179 for the black new LS300 stands.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Gawd...

Should I cancel my Sierra Ribbon towers?!
The Sierra is a completely different sound to me. I owned mine for a while and sold them. I wouldn't cancel if you have heard them and liked them. I had a chance to have both the Canton and my Sierra in the same room and like the Canton by a lot. I like a brighter sounding speaker and the Canton's provied that. Very close to my Focal but even more clear sounding. :)

Gryph

Gryph

Audioholic
I spoke to A4L. These are their last batch of the Reference 9.2DC. The containers of products were a bit more in cost so they had to raise the sale price. I ended up paying 200 more as well. These are worth double IMO.
Thanks for the affirmation, now I’m doubly glad I grabbed the 9.2’s when I did. The current $200 premium on the 9.2’s is going to look like a very small price to pay vs dropping $4000 ~ $6000 on the Canton Reference 9K at A4L’s 40-60% off msrp whenever those things show up.

I was happy to also grab a pair of the black Vento 826’s at $599 before they went out of stock.
Last I checked they still had the 826 in piano white for that price which is a good deal, I paid $50 more for my earlier version 820’s.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis