William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
So I just saw someone mention an SVS killer sub by non other than Klipsch. I LOL’d and said I’ll believe that when I see it. Surprisingly got this link with youthman talking to some talking heads at the big K. It’s called the beast. Lmao... seems it won’t be out for year or so. Luckily for SVS, they have at least that long before Klipsch knocks them out of the market.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Sounds like they are just prototyping something with no promise to actually reach manufacturing stage. Klipsch has the resources to do something like that, of course, but do they have the will? It wouldn't be something they could sell in many stores, and selling something like that through manufacture direct channels would be a PIA. They could easily decide against it as a waste of resources. I wouldn't be getting too excited.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
So I just saw someone mention an SVS killer sub by non other than Klipsch. I LOL’d and said I’ll believe that when I see it. Surprisingly got this link with youthman talking to some talking heads at the big K. It’s called the beast. Lmao... seems it won’t be out for year or so. Luckily for SVS, they have at least that long before Klipsch knocks them out of the market.

@William Lemmerhirt, LMFAO! Thanks for posting this up lmao! you just give me some new Material I can use.
That’s really good sh-t to use! :D Some how I don’t believe SVS will be shaken in their boots waiting to see if Kiipsch is going run them out of Business.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Sounds like they are just prototyping something with no promise to actually reach manufacturing stage. Klipsch has the resources to do something like that, of course, but do they have the will? It wouldn't be something they could sell in many stores, and selling something like that through manufacture direct channels would be a PIA. They could easily decide against it as a waste of resources. I wouldn't be getting too excited.
For all the reasons you just listed are surely why it hasn’t happened yet. I believe they’ve been capable for a long time, just like any of the other big manufacturers. I also have no doubt that klipsch has little interest in getting into the ring with any ID manufacturer. Not that they can’t compete academically, but Klipsch is known by 1000 times more people than any ID company. I think to scale alone on COG wouldn’t be profitable, or marginally so.
I just thought it was interesting that they even talked about it. Maybe it was just for youthman?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
@William Lemmerhirt, LMFAO! Thanks for posting this up lmao! you just give me some new Material I can use.
That’s really good sh-t to use! :D Some how I don’t believe SVS will be shaken in their boots waiting to see if Kiipsch is going run them out of Business.
YeH, I’m pretty sure SVS couldn’t care less about this. IMO, two different markets.
Have fun with it!!!!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
One more thing, if I had to guess what kind of design Klipsch would come up with to compete with the big guys, I would guess something like the Paradigm Defiance X15 but maybe in an 18" variant. I doubt they would aim for extreme deep tuning frequencies. My guess is that they would go for a ported design. I doubt they are going to go with a really high excursion woofer. They might go for passive radiators to keep the size down but maybe not, since passive radiators can have long-term reliability issues.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
James I agree I don’t see them getting into anything on the level of SVS. Let’s be Honest SVS top subs are for Serious Dedicated HT rooms. The one setting up a Dedicated HT room at that level of no Compromise won’t settle for anything less.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
James I agree I don’t see them getting into anything on the level of SVS. Let’s be Honest SVS top subs are for Serious Dedicated HT rooms. The one setting up a Dedicated HT room at that level of no Compromise won’t settle for anything less.
If Klipsch wanted to make a monster sub that exceeds the most powerful subs from SVS, they could certainly do so. After all, look at their top of the line speakers like the RF-7 or Klipschorn; SVS doesn't have anything like that. It would probably be pretty easy for Klipsch to do as well. All they would have to do is modify one of their cinema sub drivers and plop it into a deep tuned cabinet. The cabinet would be very large, but it would make for a very capable sub down to infrasonic frequencies. The only question would be is it worth spending the money trying to bring a behemoth like that to a consumer market? It would be more for bragging rights than any real direct sales profits, however bragging rights can have value itself.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I forgot I posted a comment on his video the day you posted this Bill. "No, lol."

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Who needs an SVS killer? How bout if these companies (Polk, DefTech, The Big K, etc) actually just produce product on par with what the ID companies do.
We don’t need specialty subs from them, just, perhaps, true honest efforts at reaching a balance for the needs of their market.
A good driver or series of drivers, good Amps with quality DSP, proper cabinet and port tuning, respectable output, and perhaps a bit of extension... etc.
Considering the DIY advise I always see is to build a sub first, I have a hard time believing that this is something beyond the abilities of these companies. Rather the opposite in fact.
That said, SVS started with Subs, right? Now they do respectable speakers, have an Amp on the market, dabble in cables... but their core hasn’t suffered.

Sorry guys... just struggling to contain this so I figure I just need to let it out:
Tighten up your game, Klipsch, and put out some better product. If DT beats you (at least in the speaker game) you have only yourself to blame.

Ok. I’m done. Thanks. *blushes

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis