Speaker binding post help please

L

Leperlord

Audiophyte
i am building a surround system,and noticed a problem with what will be my rear speaker(s)
One post from one my speakers has came out and has been lost

Tannoy NFM 8.The original ones)

Some old enough may remember there were 3 posts on back,red,black and yellow.A small brass plate could be used between black and yellow to change EQ,i dont think i ever used that.

On one speaker the black post has fallen out and gone lost.The hole is not damaged.To test it i put a banana plug from my amp into the hole,the hole is a tad big for the banana plug,so i have to hold it,but i get sound so i know the hole is not damaged.But i obviously cant stand and hold the banana plug there :)

So i have found some speaker binding posts on amazon for that spot,but before purchase i have a few questions.i don`t share the links until i know that link sharing is not against the forum rules

i need to know if the end that goes into my speaker(threaded end) is universal? My speakers are Tannoy NFM 8,but i have no tool to measure such a small hole,i do know it is just bigger than a banana plug.i do know my brand new banana plugs must be universal,because the fit snug in the NFM 8 banana plug hole

If they are not universally sized,what is the size of the threaded end,i will try to find a tool to measure the speaker post hole

PS are banana plug ends also universal?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
i am building a surround system,and noticed a problem with what will be my rear speaker(s)

Some old enough may remember there were 3 posts on back,red,black and yellow.A small brass plate could be used between black and yellow to change EQ,i dont think i ever used that.

On one speaker the black post has fallen out and gone lost.The hole is not damaged.To test it i put a banana plug from my amp into the hole,the hole is a tad big for the banana plug,so i have to hold it,but i get sound so i know the hole is not damaged.But i obviously cant stand and hold the banana plug there :)

So i have found some speaker binding posts on amazon for that spot,but before purchase i have a few questions.i don`t share the links until i know that link sharing is not against the forum rules

i need to know if the end that goes into my speaker(threaded end) is universal? My speakers are Tannoy NFM 8,but i have no tool to measure such a small hole,i do know it is just bigger than a banana plug.i do know my brand new banana plugs must be universal,because the fit snug in the NFM 8 banana plug hole

If they are not universally sized,what is the size of the threaded end,i will try to find a tool to measure the speaker post hole

I suggest that you write to Tannoy. I hope they will be able to answer your questions:

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

No they are not universal.

Here is your service manual.

The crossover is mounted to those speaker terminals. You can not do this repair safely without removing the crossover at least partially. If you need to remove the crossover completely to do this repair safely, then you will have to remove the driver and disconnect it.

This should not be a difficult repair, but you are not proceeding correctly and risk doing damage.

Tannoy is no longer the great company it was, and now is in the hands of the Chinese and their corroding fingers. It is owned by the TC group based in the Philippines but with manufacture now in Zongshan China. I doubt you will get much that makes sense out of them.

Last edited:
L

Leperlord

Audiophyte
No they are not universal.

Here is your service manual.

The crossover is mounted to those speaker terminals. You can not do this repair safely without removing the crossover at least partially. If you need to remove the crossover completely to do this repair safely, then you will have to remove the driver and disconnect it.

This should not be a difficult repair, but you are not proceeding correctly and risk doing damage.

Tannoy is no longer the great company it was, and now is in the hands of the Chinese and their corroding fingers. It is owned by the TC group based in the Philippines but with manufacture now in Zongshan China. I doubt you will get much that makes sense out of them.
Cheers mate

You are correct,Tannoy was no help,and that is sad news because if the hole is not universal and Tannoy won`t shed any light for me,i have no idea what exactly i need in terms of size

The PDF you sent,cheers for that,refers to NFM 8 -II. i have the original NFM 8,how much of that manual will safely refer to my NFM 8s?

i am trying to upload a pic here i took of the rear missing post,when zoomed it appears the connection is not damaged.It appears it may have been taken out by someone.i know that`s odd,but after a few years away caring for my dad,i came home to a lot of weird missing things.

These speakers are sealed from back,and only open from front as well

i will likely have a few questions once i get this apart,if i need to.No way i will have any clue what i am even looking at in there :(

PS your studio shots blew my mind.All that gear,and the woodwork is exceptional.Do you do your own wood crafting?

Attachments

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Cheers mate

You are correct,Tannoy was no help,and that is sad news because if the hole is not universal and Tannoy won`t shed any light for me,i have no idea what exactly i need in terms of size

The PDF you sent,cheers for that,refers to NFM 8 -II. i have the original NFM 8,how much of that manual will safely refer to my NFM 8s?

i am trying to upload a pic here i took of the rear missing post,when zoomed it appears the connection is not damaged.It appears it may have been taken out by someone.i know that`s odd,but after a few years away caring for my dad,i came home to a lot of weird missing things.

These speakers are sealed from back,and only open from front as well

i will likely have a few questions once i get this apart,if i need to.No way i will have any clue what i am even looking at in there :(

PS your studio shots blew my mind.All that gear,and the woodwork is exceptional.Do you do your own wood crafting?
I don't see the screws that are supposed to hold that crossover in place. It is clear to me though from the picture, that the terminal is bolted to crossover. So there has to be a nut on the thread of the speaker terminal. So you are going to have to get that unit out so you can put the nut on the other side of the board.

It looks as if someone has glued that board in place. So you almost certainly will have to remove the driver to do that repair. So some one will have to hold the terminal in place while someone puts on the nut and tightens it. It will actually be a nut and washer.

L

Leperlord

Audiophyte
I don't see the screws that are supposed to hold that crossover in place. It is clear to me though from the picture, that the terminal is bolted to crossover. So there has to be a nut on the thread of the speaker terminal. So you are going to have to get that unit out so you can put the nut on the other side of the board.

It looks as if someone has glued that board in place. So you almost certainly will have to remove the driver to do that repair. So some one will have to hold the terminal in place while someone puts on the nut and tightens it. It will actually be a nut and washer.
Thank you

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis