Help/Opinions on Polk or Monitor Audio Speakers

C

CaptainWhoopAss

Audiophyte
Hello all. I am new to this forum, and wanted to ask some advice on speakers. I am trying to decide between the Polk Audio Rtia7 or the Monitor Audio Bronze 5 speakers. I am on a bit of a budget, and both are similarly priced. The Polks are available from a large retailer and offered with an optional warranty at $600. The Monitor Audios are coming from across country so returns are out of the question and are about $700.
I am using the speakers as my primary speakers and primarily for music (rock, punk, jazz, etc.).
My receiver is a Cambridge Audio AXR100.

Does anyone have any experience with these speakers? Unfortunately, I don't have an option of auditioning either set. I want something with a good deal of bass, but not at the expense of good sound quality.

I would love any opinions!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm still learning about Monitor Audio, but from what I understand their bronze series is entry level and most would step up to silver. You're on a budget tho, so... I think I'd get the RTi's. It sounds like you could return those if you don't like them? If so that's a no brainer. Try them out. If you don't like them then return them and you can go with the bronze speakers.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Hello all. I am new to this forum, and wanted to ask some advice on speakers. I am trying to decide between the Polk Audio Rtia7 or the Monitor Audio Bronze 5 speakers. I am on a bit of a budget, and both are similarly priced. The Polks are available from a large retailer and offered with an optional warranty at $600. The Monitor Audios are coming from across country so returns are out of the question and are about $700.
I am using the speakers as my primary speakers and primarily for music (rock, punk, jazz, etc.).

Does anyone have any experience with these speakers? Unfortunately, I don't have an option of auditioning either set. I want something with a good deal of bass, but not at the expense of good sound quality.

welcome to the forum. lots of goodness here.

Have you listened to either of your choices? For speakers that are very similar, nobody is going to be able to tell you which might sound better to you. For speakers that are quite different, we might be able to offer some opinions. But for very similar bedfellows, it might be tough.

Listening is really the final arbitar. If you haven't auditioned them, what made you decide these were the two best choices? I can think of lots of others in the price range.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I’ve always heard good things about the MA Bronze.
The Polks look good, but they have some less-than-friendly impedance issues that could make them a less-than- ideal match for any AVR with a mediocre Amp stage.
You should try to audition them if you can. :)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I’ve always heard good things about the MA Bronze.
The Polks look good, but they have some less-than-friendly impedance issues that could make them a less-than- ideal match for any AVR with a mediocre Amp stage.
You should try to audition them if you can. :)
The MAs are coming from across the country, no returns. I doubt he'll be able to demo. The RTiA7s he can get at a local big box, that's why I went there.

However, maybe he has some other choices in that price range? Only those 2 options?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord

Just a quick perusal of the Cambridge site doesn't yield much info on that receiver... and nothing about it being stable for a hard-to-drive 4 ohm speaker.

My attention is split right now... too much to do...

My suspicions are that the RTi speakers might prove problematic for that receiver. (Would love to be wrong! But is it worth the possible risk?)

C

CaptainWhoopAss

Audiophyte
Thanks for all the suggestions! I don't know if it's worth anything, but I was able to do a sound test online at crutchfield - I am not sure if it was a reliable indicator or not, but I simply didn't like the sound of the Polks at all compared to any other speakers. I did a bit of calling around locally this afternoon, and I am going to go see some Monitor SE3000F speakers on Saturday. If anyone has any other suggestions on speakers, I would love to hear them!
I would prefer something with a bi-wiring option and would prefer to keep costs under $900 Canadian.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
FWIW, Bi-Wiring [read: BUY-WIR-ing] is not worth the cost of the copper. ;)
No harm doing it if you do it right. But there is really no benefit that can be measured or observed in a Double Blind Listening Test.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Spartan
FWIW, Bi-Wiring [read: BUY-WIR-ing] is not worth the cost of the copper. ;)
No harm doing it if you do it right. But there is really no benefit that can be measured or observed in a Double Blind Listening Test.
What he said...

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Rti a7 midrange from what I have read up on are Lacking for music use, The review on those RTi a7 are good for HT when paired up with a good Sub or two. Same for RTi-a9s but the9’s do have a hump up in the upper end from test and review of the 9’s. The RTi-a5’s are really better with midrange and mid bass , from the reviews for music and HT. 100 X 2 @ 8 Ohm AVR your good to go with the 5’s add a good Sub or two with the 5’s. Both the 7 and 9’s from the reviews Suggest they open up when a amp is added whatever that means. For what those are going for they are a Bargain. They are much better than the Monitor line of Polk. As for the Monitor line Bronze, Sliver and the Gold can’t say but like any speaker going up will get you more but not always in sound Quality. The Polk RTi line does have some issues But here’s the kicker Polk CS is good, can’t say about the Monitor line from the reviews I have read the ones who have them like them same with the RTi line. Between the two your looking at? with the unit you have the RTi- a5’s. or the Monitor bronze. That’s just my thoughts.

Last edited:
G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja

@CaptainWhoopAss,

Have you done anyone more research on your choice of speakers? Bottom end speaker’s, many do get good results when setup Properly with a good Sub or two Especially in HT use. Don’t know if your unit has pre-amp outs haven’t checked it out
If it does or it doesn’t than (Scratch > a used amp from a pawnshop or check out one of the bottom feeders that are sold by lower end companies. Check out Outlaw, Emotiva that come with a five year warranty. Maybe one of them Pro-amps that DJ’s use or some of the ones even blow those that I just listed. Sometimes those lower end amp companies will do sales or “B” stock clean out of Inventory. Usually customer returns for what ever reason. Didn’t like it, or a Refurbished at Bargain basement price. Getting a Parasound amp or ATi, or Adcom Pass Lab others at the Top of the food chain that come with 10, 20 years of warranty will cost a good bit of Copper pennies, if your lucky to find a one of those used, they still can set you back Several hundreds sometimes into the thousands of copper. Most don’t let those upper feeders go until warranty had long been run out. Happy Hunting!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think as a general rule of thumb, Monitor Audio is a lot more respected than Polk in the audio community.

Whether someone prefers one over the other in a blind-test is a different story. But from the perspective of most audiophiles, Monitor Audio has a lot more respect.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
I think as a general rule of thumb, Monitor Audio is a lot more respected than Polk in the audio community.

Whether someone prefers one over the other in a blind-test is a different story. But from the perspective of most audiophiles, Monitor Audio has a lot more respect.
Whenever I hear the name Polk, I think of car audio first. Getting to know Monitor audio in the last year or so and actually listening to a setup with them, I think they have a very solid following for their lineup. They have a very nice sound when it comes to playing music. The demo I was at played mostly music and one clip of a movie. You can't go wrong if you go with Monitor Audio.

C

CaptainWhoopAss

Audiophyte
Thanks for all the helpful tips and replies. I picked up a pair of Focal 726 speakers on Saturday. I spent a little bit more, but I spent Saturday night listening to Velvet Underground albums, sipping a 21 year old rum, and living the dream. I could not be more pleased. Thanks to all who responded!

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks of all the helpful tips and replies. I picked up a pair of Focal 726 speakers on Saturday. I spent a little bit more, but I spent Saturday night listening to Velvet Underground albums, sipping a 21 year old rum, and living the dream. I could not be more pleased. Thanks to all who responded!
I’ve read of reviews and post ups those Focal speakers have a midrange and midrange bass output that’s Velvet smooth sound that Enthusiast love.
How’s the lowend bottom feeder bass? isn’t like that bass you hear in them trucks and cars at the red lights? the Boom boooom where it Vibrates everything off the walls in your house? just asking
cause you can get so many opinions. I have no doubt with your TT that those nice Vinyl turntable LP’s sounds great on your new 726 speakers.
You got any of them Virgin vinyl 180 gram albums yet? They come in all kinds of colors now, I like the clear one’s also it’s like looking though a glass window.
When you get up to flip your Album over you can see your face smiling back at you talk about getting your money’s worth!

Last edited:
mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks for all the helpful tips and replies. I picked up a pair of Focal 726 speakers on Saturday.
You stepped up to a very Nice Speaker. Congratulations!!! The Focal family has some really nice Gear including Headphones. Enjoy

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Focal makes some nice speakers. Congrats on the purchase!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis