YAMAHA ADVENTAGE RX-A2050 speakers cut off/on every 5 seconds.

N

NOEYEZ

Audiophyte
Having all speakers cut on and off every 5 seconds... Display reads all speakers ok..just see all speaker lights in front display cut on/off...along with sound....no overheating..no clicking...just happens after sound is on for approx.5 minutes....regardless of sound levels.....
Wiring to speakers is correct....no shorts..all connections are good and tight....running in 9.2.....Any ideas?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Having all speakers cut on and off every 5 seconds... Display reads all speakers ok..just see all speaker lights in front display cut on/off...along with sound....no overheating..no clicking...just happens after sound is on for approx.5 minutes....regardless of sound levels.....
Wiring to speakers is correct....no shorts..all connections are good and tight....running in 9.2.....Any ideas?
Re-initiating, i.e. reset the processor may fix this. If not, and if after disconnecting all speakers it still does this then you are going to have to send it out for repair.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Not good, a Yamaha a2050 about what 4 or 5 years old? So your AVR is out of warranty. Try doing a hard reset. Go on Yamahas website, or even call into their service dept to get help or ask about shipping to a Authorize Yamaha service center. As reliable as Yamaha AVR’s even they have issues.
That’s not a lowend AVR you have and it has the latest audio Formats. Unless you can pickup a new AVR, it may not be Worth getting it repaired Why? Its getting up in age already 4 or 5 years old. Sound and Vision did a review on that AVR you have and that was back in 2016.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Re-initiating, i.e. reset the processor may fix this. If not, and if after disconnecting all speakers it still does this then you are going to have to send it out for repair.
As Peng says, do a hard reset, I would do three before you give up.

I have two questions.

First what speakers are you using? That receiver only gives specs to 8 ohms nothing lower. I ask, as receivers now seem totally unsuitable for driving most speakers.

Last question, is where do you live? Is the area prone to electric storms or power glitches? I ask this as I suspect, speakers and lack of proper protection are factors in these costly receiver failures.

I do note that your receiver had 40 consumer review on Amazon, and about 25% seem to have blown up in the time the unit was available for sale.

That being the case, regrettably my advice has to be not to put money into repairing that receiver.

After you let us know the results of reset, we can talk about how to reliably power modern AV systems.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Wow about 40% just on Amazon that’s a little on the high side Doc. did you happen to notice if it was from Verified owners? Accessories4less has refurbished AVR’s and Yamaha AVR’s are bunch up with the rest of other Manufacturers of AVR’s even Yamaha flagship AVR’s mostly the ones that are You guessed it 3 to 5 years old. Sad it is paying 1500 to 2k on any AVR and it’s a door stop. Not trying to get you started on AVR’s AH members know your not a fan of everything in one box when it comes to Choices of gear that or money Worthy of.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Wow about 40% just on Amazon that’s a little on the high side Doc. did you happen to notice if it was from Verified owners? Accessories4less has refurbished AVR’s and Yamaha AVR’s are bunch up with the rest of other Manufacturers of AVR’s even Yamaha flagship AVR’s mostly the ones that are You guessed it 3 to 5 years old. Sad it is paying 1500 to 2k on any AVR and it’s a door stop. Not trying to get you started on AVR’s AH members know your not a fan of everything in one box when it comes to Choices of gear that or money Worthy of.
No, that is not what I wrote. There were 40 reviews, of which about 25% seemed to have had serious problems in the time the unit was available for sale.

This is not unusual. I just did an install with a mid range Marantz, and was not happy with the performance. I will never agree to do an install again for friends using a receiver unless they make some decent and reliable 5.1 receivers again, and not just the starter junk. You can not put what they are trying to now cram in one box and expect it to work. That is just wasting people's money.

One rule for everyone, is not to buy ANY receiver that does not have a four ohm spec with at least to channels driven and less than 0.1% THD at the specked power. If you don't see that on the spec sheet, don't buy it period. The receiver we are talking about only has an 8 ohm spec and so is useless, because there actually are no 8 ohm speakers. You really can not make a speaker designed for solid state amplification that would be any good at 8 ohms. So to sell speakers the speaker manufacturers say things like 8 ohm compatible and all sorts of fudge terms. However they are not 8 ohms when you measure them mostly. So assume every speaker you look at is 4 ohm in the major power band below BSC. Now see how many current receivers are fit to power them. You will find almost none. So this avocation has now descended to fraud basically.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
No, that is not what I wrote. There were 40 reviews, of which about 25% seemed to have had serious problems in the time the unit was available for sale.

This is not unusual. I just did an install with a mid range Marantz, and was not happy with the performance. I will never agree to do an install again for friends using a receiver unless they make some decent and reliable 5.1 receivers again, and not just the starter junk. You can not put what they are trying to now cram in one box and expect it to work. That is just wasting people's money.

One rule for everyone, is not to buy ANY receiver that does not have a four ohm spec with at least to channels driven and less than 0.1% THD at the specked power. If you don't see that on the spec sheet, don't buy it period. The receiver we are talking about only has an 8 ohm spec and so is useless, because there actually are no 8 ohm speakers. You really can not make a speaker designed for solid state amplification that would be any good at 8 ohms. So to sell speakers the speaker manufacturers say things like 8 ohm compatible and all sorts of fudge terms. However they are not 8 ohms when you measure them mostly. So assume every speaker you look at is 4 ohm in the major power band below BSC. Now see how many current receivers are fit to power them. You will find almost none. So this avocation has now descended to fraud basically.
Doc, typo on my part the 40% thing. 40 Verified customer reviews. 25% which comes to about 1/4 % give or take, who really knows how high That would be if all where bunched up from all manufactures of AVR’s. what? Thousands millions of AVR’s are sold. Lot of money down the drain for the end user of the Manufacturers of AVR’s. Guess that’s where their bottom line Profits are greater. Just a guess maybe MCode would know the Exact Margin.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I wonder if @M Code can do a follow up update on Yamaha AVR's recent requests for service record/reliability. Are they really that much better than D&M's or just a little better?

Agreed, but for a total different reason that would make me feel reluctant to do installs for people. A few years ago I installed a 5.1 anchored by a Marantz SR7009, he is a pathologist, so no doubt a highly intelligent person, but every now and then I would be told the thing's no longer working, when invariably I would find nothing wrong, and got it "fixed" within minutes. He just didn't know/understand all those buttons and functionality of the unit, and got it messed up so bad that he couldn't use either the Harmony universal or the original remote to do anything. One time I felt bad for him as I couldn't be there for days and he had to listen to the sound of the TV speakers.:D

So I think there is no problem with an AVR that doesn't have a 4 ohm rating (none that I know of anyway for all intents and purposes), as this guy's Monitor Audio silver series speakers are truly 4 ohm speakers and are installed in a large room with seating distance about 15 ft for the fronts and further for the surrounds. The real problem is, such 9 channel/11 processing AVRs are just too complicated for a lot of users. Some of them would mess things up, and may then assume the unit is buggy, erratic and failing..

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
I wonder if @M Code can do a follow up update on Yamaha AVR's recent requests for service record/reliability. Are they really that much better than D&M's or just a little better?

Agreed, but for a total different reason that would make me feel reluctant to do installs for people. A few years ago I installed a 5.1 anchored by a Marantz SR7009, he is a pathologist, so no doubt a highly intelligent person, but every now and then I would be told the thing's no longer working, when invariably I would find nothing wrong, and got it "fixed" within minutes. He just didn't know/understand all those buttons and functionality of the unit, and got it messed up so bad that he couldn't use either the Harmony universal or the original remote to do anything. One time I felt bad for him as I couldn't be there for days and he had to listen to the sound of the TV speakers.:D

So I think there is no problem with an AVR that doesn't have a 4 ohm rating (none that I know of anyway for all intents and purposes), as this guy's Monitor Audio silver series speakers are truly 4 ohm speakers and are installed in a large room with seating distance about 15 ft for the fronts and further for the surrounds. The real problem is, such 9 channel/11 processing AVRs are just too complicated for a lot of users. Some of them would mess things up, and may then assume the unit is buggy, erratic and failing..
I get what TLSGUY is saying about the reasons AVR’s are Lacking, and why So many after buying even a mid level AVR is already looking to upgrade to another Manufacturer of AVR’s. Yes when used with into the guidelines of what AVR they have all is good to go. But this is the thing about audio, said guy goes out and upgrades his front mains maybe replaced all of them in a 5.1 or hell 9.2! new speakers are a lower Ohm drive Now that Mid level AVR guy just send 1K on will be Sweating it’s a$$ off
cause his New mid level, audiophile speakers aren’t Performing to his liking cause he likes take it up to ear bleeding Levels. TLSGUY has a very Valid point on the AVR all in one unit with all the bells and whistles crammed inside.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
TLSGUY has a very Valid point on the AVR all in one unit with all the bells and whistles crammed inside.
Of course he does, entry to mid level AVRs are a compromised product, but if used within their limits they can, and do last for a long time (5-10 years anyway).

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
A key point for AVRs and amplifiers about its reliability frequently overlooked is, many, many installs force the component into a cramped space without adequate free-air space... Any brand/product will fail prematurely if exposed to high, continuous heat.. Thermal heat buildup is bad for any electronic component be it an AVR, amplifier, DVR, UHD player, PC... Even though this point is made in the 1st pages of the setup guide, they are typically ignored... :(
For an audio component with microprocessors, output devices, their efficiency decreases by 50% when pushed beyond their design limits forcing significant heat rise. Thats why when a user is playing his AVR or amplifier @ a higher volume level the unit is already hot and he wants to increase the volume level he turns it up higher.. Now the amplifier section is actually putting out less power as the output stage and power supply heat up even higher... :rolleyes:

Regarding AVR reliability of major brands including Yamaha, Marantz, Denon I will talk with my contacts to get some updates and respond back....

Just my $0.02... ;)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
My Yamaha CX-A5100, MX-A5000 and RX-A3080 better last 10 years or more. :D

Will see.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord

Today's AVRs are very complicated indeed. I cut my teeth so to speak on an RX-V1800, an RX-V1500, and an RX-V1900 (in that order) and the differences between the 3 are noticeable for sure. However, they pale in comparison to the complexity of the RX-A3060. Even though I knew my older receivers inside out, the learning curve for the RX-A3060 was steep and it took a couple of paradigm shifts to get it where I want it to be now. There are a miriad of choices and ways of doing things. The most difficult for me to understand was to try and figure out the amp/speaker configurations. The manual sucked and the gui was confusing. No wonder your pathologist friend is having trouble.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Of course he does, entry to mid level AVRs are a compromised product, but if used within their limits they can, and do last for a long time (5-10 years anyway).
That’s what I posted up, when used with into it’s build. Outside of Manufactured defects or bugs what would be the One cause of AVR Failure In your Opinion? Mine is, (Human error) by use of the end-user. Abusing their gear. high heat, Over driving past it Limits. ohm overload and so on. take care, Use caution and your Good To Go! You and I know lol most do not or just for Poop and giggles, Man I like this movie sound track or this tune is kick a$$. Well what the first thing ones does? run their Sub Hot jack up levels use EQ again some jack up levels and so on. Than guess what? Pow! AVR goes into Attack mode and Shuts down!! Maybe a Newbie won’t understand why my mid level unit went into Protect mode? Man you and I been kicking it on AH for a few years Pogre, I know You know I and the other older members know this. I been Preaching to the Masis myself my friend.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
They will. My old AVRs are still kicking as hard as they were new but I give em lots of air. :)
I used fans when I had the Denon AVP-A1HDCI and AVR-5308CI because they got so hot.

But since the Yamaha operate much cooler than the Denon, I'm not using fans anymore.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
That’s what I posted up, when used with into it’s build. Outside of Manufactured defects or bugs what would be the One cause of AVR Failure In your Opinion? Mine is, (Human error) by use of the end-user. Abusing their gear. high heat, Over driving past it Limits. ohm overload and so on. take care, Use caution and your Good To Go! You and I know lol most do not or just for Poop and giggles, Man I like this movie sound track or this tune is kick a$$. Well what the first thing ones does? run their Sub Hot jack up levels use EQ again some jack up levels and so on. Than guess what? Pow! AVR goes into Attack mode and Shuts down!! Maybe a Newbie won’t understand why my mid level unit went into Protect mode? Man you and I been kicking it on AH for a few years Pogre, I know You know I and the other older members know this. I been Preaching to the Masis myself my friend.
Human error and heat are the two I can immediately think of. In a warm environment and without ample space all around for natural vent, an external fan is a must for longevity. Power amps in general has better heat sinks, and obviously less heat source. The video section of an AVR produces a lot of heat, so even when the amp section is idling, the unit can get quite warm.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
You mean buying separate Amp and pre-pro, instead of AVR? :D
ADTG, why go and throw a rock at Doc? :) Didn’t you start a Thread on (which is better AVR or Separates) or sounded better? Can’t remember been a longtime since I’ve Actually participated on that Thread. Now you done went and opened that can of worms.;):) On top of that your a Pharmacist so you already know that Doctors are always right. If Doc TLSGUY says go back up to your office on the 11th floor get that Prescription I wrote out for you to fill out.
since you had a hard time reading my Arabic writing of the correct Ointment. Come back with what I wanted my Patient to have. Don’t bring me (Generics). TLSGUY see’s them AVR’s as Generic = Bottom feeder lolo lowend lower price Audiophile lmao =Chris >Here it comes > @lovinthehd= No one in their right minded a person would buy Audiophile Gear!! AVR=cheap junky things. Lolo. Andrew! You know Doc is a Audiophile! Person! :) Why go and upset Doc! You never poke a loin! ;):D Now All of us AH members Including Gene gonna get it from Doc.:p;):) In case you haven’t noticed even Gene as much as he knows of Audio and Video knows better than to poke a Lio: umm TLSGuy.:D Thanks a lot Andrew! Us AH members worked hard for a month of hiding out from Doc! Now everybody getting them long 3” needle Shots from Doc.:)

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Human error and heat are the two I can immediately think of. In a warm environment and without ample space all around for natural vent, an external fan is a must for longevity. Power amps in general has better heat sinks, and obviously less heat source. The video section of an AVR produces a lot of heat, so even when the amp section is idling, the unit can get quite warm.
Agree, PC’s have or had a fan in them why because hard drives and everything else Crammed in them put out lots of heat. With AVR’s now more than ever has almost turned into a PC with a amp and per-amp built into one. Plus oh let’s add more heat hey can we get 15 channels into a 17X8X15 box? and keep in under 40 Pounds. I can see Class D taking over Eventually in AVR’s totally. Maybe, but don’t really know if a Audiophile:D geared person would really want everything in One Box. Doc’s Opinions are valid.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis