HT Room From Scratch

D

depechefan

Audioholic
Hi,

I have a very open question that I'd like some help with... Imagine that you are looking for a house which can be configured to have a dedicated HT room or you want to build a new house with one. What would be the preferred dimensions and which materials would you use? I'm looking for a room that can fit a 7.2.6 setup with a 65" TV (hopefully 88" at some point in the future when OLEDs that size are within reach). I'd like to be able to have 5 - 6 seats.

My own thinking is a room about 4.5 metres wide and 6 metres long (roughly 15 feet wide, 20 feet long - a little less in both directions). Carpet on the floor, maybe Troldtekt ceiling (https://www.troldtekt.com/Product-range)? That is very modern in Denmark :)

How would you go about it?

/M

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Hi,

I have a very open question that I'd like some help with... Imagine that you are looking for a house which can be configured to have a dedicated HT room or you want to build a new house with one. What would be the preferred dimensions and which materials would you use? I'm looking for a room that can fit a 7.2.6 setup with a 65" TV (hopefully 88" at some point in the future when OLEDs that size are within reach). I'd like to be able to have 5 - 6 seats.

My own thinking is a room about 4.5 metres wide and 6 metres long (roughly 15 feet wide, 20 feet long - a little less in both directions). Carpet on the floor, maybe Troldtekt ceiling (https://www.troldtekt.com/Product-range)? That is very modern in Denmark :)

How would you go about it?

/M
If you want a dedicated HT you wouldn't want to purchase a TV. You would want a projector and screen. Having a 20x15 room and having a TV just wouldn't be ideal. That room size is good. Carpet on floor is fine. You will want to look for some acoustic panels for the walls. You might look at building a riser for the second row.

What does your budget look like? HT budget can be limitless if you want. Can be $10k or less or millions. I would start researching speakers. Getting budget for speakers first, then subwoofers. Decide if you truly want a TV or want to go projection. Then we can continue from there.

D

depechefan

Audioholic
Hey,

I understand your point about TV vs projector. I just happen to really like the picture quality of OLED TVs so I'm hoping for bigger ones to come around in the future. In the meantime I'm focusing more on sound. And in particular how to make my room work well for a Dolby Atmos implementation. My immediate concern is that I'll probably end up having the main listening position right in the middle of the room and I guess that's not ideal...

/M

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Hey,

I understand your point about TV vs projector. I just happen to really like the picture quality of OLED TVs so I'm hoping for bigger ones to come around in the future. In the meantime I'm focusing more on sound. And in particular how to make my room work well for a Dolby Atmos implementation. My immediate concern is that I'll probably end up having the main listening position right in the middle of the room and I guess that's not ideal...

/M
You want to focus on your front 3 speakers. They are the gems of the entire setup. What do you think your budget will be? We'll want to include a subwoofer. SVS, Monoprice make great subwoofers for the money. Can't go wrong with them. A nice AVR for your setup could be the Denon x3600H. That's hovering around the $1000 price point. If you choose to add an amp down the road you can with that AVR.

D

depechefan

Audioholic
Well, I have a bit of equipment already. LRC will be Monitor Audio Silver 300s and Monitor Audio C350. I'm planning on buying one or 2 SVS PB3000(s). Amplifier is Denon AVC-X8500H. I have a couple of Monitor Audio Silver FX for rear surround and will buy another set of Monitor Audio Silver 300 for Surround speakers. I have 6 Kef speakers for the Atmos ceiling installation.

What I'm most in doubt about is the actual room, placement and materials. Once that is done I have questions about Audyssey and MiniDSP but that's for later :)

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Well, I have a bit of equipment already. LRC will be Monitor Audio Silver 300s and Monitor Audio C350. I'm planning on buying one or 2 SVS PB3000(s). Amplifier is Denon AVC-X8500H. I have a couple of Monitor Audio Silver FX for rear surround and will buy another set of Monitor Audio Silver 300 for Surround speakers. I have 6 Kef speakers for the Atmos ceiling installation.

What I'm most in doubt about is the actual room, placement and materials. Once that is done I have questions about Audyssey and MiniDSP but that's for later :)
That's a solid setup for speakers and AVR. So it looks like you're good to go with all of that. Here is a link from Dolby to help with speaker placement.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
As far as room design goes, basic understandings of Acoustics are helpful. One such crossover between Acoustics and Architecture would be the Golden Ratio. For brevity I will add links you can peruse at leisure. Short version, Golden Ratio and Optimized Rooms carry some acoustic benefits with the ultimate goal of controlling the room modes as best as possible.

Of course this only really helps if you are building from scratch.

Acoustic treatments be they structural or added in after is a whole other can of worms. :)

Depending on the ultimate space, I would still advise upgrading your fronts to Silver 500s and the C350 (don't recall which center you already have). You are on the right track for Subs... but again, keep in mind that the overall room volume is what is most important for the Subs in matching to the room. The PB3000s would be minimum I would consider.

Cheers!

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
I documented the "from scratch build" in my old house on this forum through questions and other posts. Search my old posts from 2003-2005...I then have some sprinkled in since then as well. I cover room dimensions, seating distance (which factors into room dimensions) wall/ceiling construction for sound isolation, lighting, electrical, paint colors, riser/stage construction, etc.

I agree you will want to go with a projector. Yes OLED has a great picture, but you are building a home theater...so go big. My last room dimensions (the room I built) were similar to 20X15 and I had a 106" screen.

Good luck.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
I'm going over this with my brother in law now and he's got a huge space in his unfinished basement.

It's fun starting with a blank sheet of paper...and his budget :).

For 3 wide seating with the theater chairs and walk isle on both ends...5m wide...at minimum and the depth with recliners...we measured out roughly 8m deep

I've had projection in my own HT room with a 100" screen in a previous home. It may have closed the deal on the sale when we including it, but I'm not as grounded in them as some other posters...I wouldn't need an OLED either. The projectors now are better than the ones I had when 1080P projectors were 1st coming out. I have an 82" LED and I'm pretty pleased with it, but I'm not as fussy about video so go with your thoughts there.

The screen size and your distance to it are going to be big factors in the room depth.

Buildthisroom

Buildthisroom

Audiophyte
As far as room design goes, basic understandings of Acoustics are helpful. One such crossover between Acoustics and Architecture would be the Golden Ratio. For brevity I will add links you can peruse at leisure. Short version, Golden Ratio and Optimized Rooms carry some acoustic benefits with the ultimate goal of controlling the room modes as best as possible.

Of course this only really helps if you are building from scratch.

Acoustic treatments be they structural or added in after is a whole other can of worms. :)

Depending on the ultimate space, I would still advise upgrading your fronts to Silver 500s and the C350 (don't recall which center you already have). You are on the right track for Subs... but again, keep in mind that the overall room volume is what is most important for the Subs in matching to the room. The PB3000s would be minimum I would consider.

Cheers!
Thank you for using my website as a reference.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis