Is There Such A Thing As, , , ,

cornemuse

cornemuse

Junior Audioholic
Is there such a thing as a (for instance), a 5 hdmi input - 1 hdmi output switchbox with audio extracted from hdmi in x5 & audio out to "I dont care, 2 channel stereo - rca plugs", switched in conjunction with the hdmi video? If you read my inital rant here, my hearing is terrible. And no-one here or anywhere else can explain why with my new Yamaha, (higher wattage output), the sound level is sooo much lower than my old Kenwood (much lower wattage output). stereo, the volume is much "MUCH" higher volume, & no vocal (well MUCH less), distortion to boot?
All my "inputs" have 2 channel stereo out besides hdmi. And yes, I realize you are audiophiles here, so was I, when I could hear. I mean absolutely no disrespect to this last <- comment.

-c-

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Is there such a thing as a (for instance), a 5 hdmi input - 1 hdmi output switchbox with audio extracted from hdmi in x5 & audio out to "I dont care, 2 channel stereo - rca plugs", switched in conjunction with the hdmi video? If you read my inital rant here, my hearing is terrible. And no-one here or anywhere else can explain why with my new Yamaha, (higher wattage output), the sound level is sooo much lower than my old Kenwood (much lower wattage output). stereo, the volume is much "MUCH" higher volume, & no vocal (well MUCH less), distortion to boot?
All my "inputs" have 2 channel stereo out besides hdmi. And yes, I realize you are audiophiles here, so was I, when I could hear. I mean absolutely no disrespect to this last <- comment.

-c-
The case may be that the Yamaha isn't less powerful than the Kenwood so much that the gain stage of the Yamaha is much different than you are used to. On the other hand, Kenwood used to make some real beasts back in the day. I have an old Kenwood AVR from the early 90's with an amp section that is still kicking at 120wpcx2 channels.

cornemuse

cornemuse

Junior Audioholic
Well, I purchased this:

https://www.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digital-Extractor-Control4-Available/dp/B01296E5OO?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-ffab-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B01296E5OO

"5 in 1 out" plus audio out.

before tearing wiring from the Yamaha, I thought I'd make sure this thing would work.
Connected it to an old, cheap stereo, hdmi out to (second) hdmi input on TV.
audio out (2 channel) to the stereo, Re-routed cable box & media player to this 'J-Tech'
Fed audio to two small 6" speakers.
Sound worked (& sounded) just fine, had to crank up the volume setting. Low powered stereo & small speakers, no distortion.
One of the local PBS stations had "The Buddy Holly Story" (with Gary Busey!) Sounded not so bad at all.
Watched "Bolero" (I forgot how bad that movie was!), That one had/has a very low audio sound level, as loud of volume I set it, was not as loud as I prefered, but still not garbled/distorted like the yamaha.The Yamaha is history,
I set the Sony volume to 'higher than necessary', as dvd/cable/ media players all have their own volume controls. I used Sony remote to power it on/off & change inputs. Problem with Sony was some hdmi inputs stopped working.
Theoretically, the same with the yamaha, Problem was, hit the wrong button, yamaha reset all volume settings to I think 33%, & reset bass/treble to 'bypass'.
The Kenwood has no remote but, on & off are hard set, so I will plug it into a remote switch for power on/off. It has a 'switched' outlet on the back I will plug the J-Tech, above, in, tho it draws 2w max (just checked) could just leave it on.
Typically once I set bass/treble, no need to re set it.
yamaha is a $500 machine, now, I wouldnt take it for free, , , , , ,

thought I'd pass this along

-c-

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
How many speakers do you have hooked up to your Yamaha? Is it setup for the right number of speakers and the proper configuration?

I agree that the J-tech is a solid product for audio extraction. I've used these products in the past with good results.

I'm not sure how much it matters that you have to turn up the Yamaha to get the audio output that you are looking for, but if you switch it over to 'stereo' mode, it should do the exact same thing that adding an audio extractor would do.

cornemuse

cornemuse

Junior Audioholic
Had 2 fronts, 2 high(?) fronts and a center speaker, (no subwoofer). As in one of the pdf manuals examples.

(From manual)
Using 3.1.2-channel system
We recommend this speaker layout when you cannot place speakers in the back of
the room.

I could turn up the volume but voice got more & more distorted as volume increased to the point of being unacceptable. = either not loud enough or too distorted, no middle ground.

Its all moot now as AVR is back in its box awaiting return.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
How do you have your speakers set up? Which sound mode (stereo, all channel, dolby, etc.) are you using? If you have a bunch of speakers up front and next to each other that's going to cause interference. How audible it would be is a guess, but I'm sure it wouldn't sound quite "right".

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I guess I'm not sure how much of a conversation you had on your setup before you decided it wasn't for you and boxed everything up. There are lots of people with lots of suggestion on how this may need to have been setup for best results. I certainly would have tried stereo and a pretty solid bump to the center channel can help with dialog since so many shows push vocals only to the center channel.

cornemuse

cornemuse

Junior Audioholic
The yamaha is gone so it is a moot point now, , , , , , ,

cornemuse

cornemuse

Junior Audioholic
I am using the (post # 3 above). How good is an "Onkyo / INTEGRA DTR-7.3 7.1ch reciever-used"?
Local craigslist has one listed as"excellent etc etc" If it were good etc, and with the hdmi/audio splitter & using optical audio input, (craigslist ad claims 700 watts out), does it sound like a good deal?

It has a lotta pre in's & pre out's, I could easily use my "Realistic" 10 ch audio balance. + tape & phono in's. (one of my 50+ year old Akai decks still works <- the good one!)

-c-

(edit: the old cheap stereo in #3 is also an even older sony, no hdmi, just cd input)

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
... (craigslist ad claims 700 watts out), does it sound like a good deal?
Specs for that receiver per on line manual is 100W /ch continuous into 8 Ohm load, not all channels driven at same time.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I am using the (post # 3 above). How good is an "Onkyo / INTEGRA DTR-7.3 7.1ch reciever-used"?
Local craigslist has one listed as"excellent etc etc" If it were good etc, and with the hdmi/audio splitter & using optical audio input, (craigslist ad claims 700 watts out), does it sound like a good deal?

It has a lotta pre in's & pre out's, I could easily use my "Realistic" 10 ch audio balance. + tape & phono in's. (one of my 50+ year old Akai decks still works <- the good one!)

-c-

(edit: the old cheap stereo in #3 is also an even older sony, no hdmi, just cd input)
Post #3 talks about 3 different manufacturers and has a link to something completely different than what you're talking about in this post. You won't link us to the actual ad, no pics, no idea what you'd be paying for it and you ask us if "its a good deal"?

How could anyone possibly answer that??

I'm pretty confused as to what your end goal is here.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis