JBL BAR 5.1 SURROUND VS BOSE SOUNDBAR 500

A

allenwongking

Enthusiast
Hey guys, I am new here. Just want to know more about those soundbars. Which one is better for gaming and movies? I prefer to have more surround sound effect. What do you guys recommend? Thanks.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Hey guys, I am new here. Just want to know more about those soundbars. Which one is better for gaming and movies? I prefer to have more surround sound effect. What do you guys recommend? Thanks.
Hi and welcome! Budget and space size?

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Too bad about space size. I could have linked a $200 speaker 5.0 set and a $300 AVR. You’re really not gonna get a surround sound with a soundbar. If I had to choose I’d get the JBL. I have a small space and still have a 5.1 setup with AVR.

A

allenwongking

Enthusiast
Too bad about space size. I could have linked a $200 speaker 5.0 set and a $300 AVR. You’re really not gonna get a surround sound with a soundbar. If I had to choose I’d get the JBL. I have a small space and still have a 5.1 setup with AVR.
So, if I want to get a little bit of surround sound, JBL is better than the BOSE 500, right?

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Yes. My first setup was a JBL 5.1(not sound bar) although not the best I liked the Sound quality as a starter I really liked it. Can you link the one you are looking at?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
If it’s says Bose on it, it will certainly be overpriced. I don’t know much about the JBL soundbar but their products are generally better, but don’t cost nearly as much.
Iirc, Yamaha and klipsch have some SB’s that people like. Not sure of any model numbers so you’d have to dig a little bit.

A

allenwongking

Enthusiast
If it’s says Bose on it, it will certainly be overpriced. I don’t know much about the JBL soundbar but their products are generally better, but don’t cost nearly as much.
Iirc, Yamaha and klipsch have some SB’s that people like. Not sure of any model numbers so you’d have to dig a little bit.
Ya, Bose is expense.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
So, if I want to get a little bit of surround sound, JBL is better than the BOSE 500, right?
I don't know that you can get any real surround sound from a sound bar. Even mounting some small cube speakers off to the sides or slightly behind would do the trick. I like to game too and having surround sound can definitely be an advantage in shooters and action games!

A

allenwongking

Enthusiast
I don't know that you can get any real surround sound from a sound bar. Even mounting some small cube speakers off to the sides or slightly behind would do the trick. I like to game too and having surround sound can definitely be an advantage in shooters and action games!
Thanks for your info. The problem is I don't have much space, so soundbar should be only choice. :)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
For sure. We have an Xbox, and 5.1 in a media room for the kids and the new modern warfare has Atmos. So I’ve been waiting to have enough energy at the end of the day to bring the Xbox into my LR. MW in 7.3.4 will be awesome. DTSNX works for other games but I need to try out MW.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks for your info. The problem is I don't have much space, so soundbar should be only choice. :)
That’s sometimes the deal breaker, space. A better investment in the long run would be a 2.1 system, but receivers take up space too. The rabbit hole is deep too...

A

allenwongking

Enthusiast
That’s sometimes the deal breaker, space. A better investment in the long run would be a 2.1 system, but receivers take up space too. The rabbit hole is deep too...
So, if my only choices are JBL 5.1 and Bose 500, which one do you prefer?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
So, if my only choices are JBL 5.1 and Bose 500, which one do you prefer?
Well I have to post a disclaimer first. I loathe Bose. IMO, they’re nothing but a marketing company who makes inferior audio products focused on lifestyle appeal. They use cheap junky drivers wrapped in quasi upscale design/materials.
On the other side of that, I am a fan of, and use JBL speakers in my main system, and they are on my list(as are others) for when I replace my speakers.
So the hard part is budget. In the range you’re looking at, I don’t think many SB’s will stand out from the pack. From what I’ve seen, some of the better ones will set you back closer to a grand and come with options for surround speakers. To me that’s important, but it’s not to everyone. Some of the older bars used reflective driver arrays and tech to creat Quasi surround sound, but that required the room to basically be perfect so...non starter for most people.
So as you see from the short answer, I would choose JBL. If I get a chance, I can look around and do some window shopping in the SB market and see if I like anything for 500.

A

allenwongking

Enthusiast
Well I have to post a disclaimer first. I loathe Bose. IMO, they’re nothing but a marketing company who makes inferior audio products focused on lifestyle appeal. They use cheap junky drivers wrapped in quasi upscale design/materials.
On the other side of that, I am a fan of, and use JBL speakers in my main system, and they are on my list(as are others) for when I replace my speakers.
So the hard part is budget. In the range you’re looking at, I don’t think many SB’s will stand out from the pack. From what I’ve seen, some of the better ones will set you back closer to a grand and come with options for surround speakers. To me that’s important, but it’s not to everyone. Some of the older bars used reflective driver arrays and tech to creat Quasi surround sound, but that required the room to basically be perfect so...non starter for most people.
So as you see from the short answer, I would choose JBL. If I get a chance, I can look around and do some window shopping in the SB market and see if I like anything for 500.
Nice nice! Thank you so much.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis