65” recommendations

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
In the next couple months I’m planning on buying a new TV as mine is a basic HD TV that I wanted a Christmas party eight years ago, it’s about time. I’m also cheap and I really want to keep the price as close to $1000 as possible, I don’t mind waiting for sales or open box buys.

Here’s what I think I want but I’m totally up to suggestions as I really don’t understand this stuff too well. I think these specs should cover the above average TV’s in my price range assuming on sale.

1) 4K
2) HDR10
3) 120hz native refresh rate. I know not a lot of content now but I enjoy gaming and I expect the next Xbox to run that pretty well.

4) any reason I should hold off and wait/save for HDMI 2.2?

Any other suggestions or TV brands to avoid? I like the specs of LG’s C9 OLED’s and their 55” is on sale for $1,299 some places but just too small.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Just save for the 65" OLED!

I found mine for around $1700 (I think it may have been closer to $1900 but a $200 Crutchfield gift card thrown into the deal), which is the lowest I had seen. As soon as I saw that price, I pulled the trigger.

AVUser001

AVUser001

Full Audioholic
This is another option ... Sony x950 - should go on sale given its 2019 model. Its 4K, HDR, Full array Local dimming ( FALD) , Dolby Vision, 120Hz refresh rate etc. In general, LCD/LED with HDR/FALD, will be more suitable than OLED in brightly lit rooms , becos of their higher peak brightness capability and vice-versa( OLED will be more suitable for light controlled viewing rooms). But also becos of its HDR & FALD performance, can perform very well in dark rooms as well (due to high contrast ratio) , although not on par with OLED in terms of deep blacks , as OLEDs have infinite contrast ratio!

+ and this is a BIG PLUS for LCD/LED - You can upsize your TV to 75'' - bigger is better when it comes to display sizes, even if you dont think you need it right away... without breaking the bank.

So it depends on your room and viewing preferences..

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
@TankTop5, before you do check out how many “Nits” the TV your going to get. More Nits the better
that has a lot to do with how brilliant the picture will be. Under 200 nits is good but not great 400 or better is great. If I may say Sony Pretty much rules but LG, even Vizio are good for a 1K you should be able to pick up a nice UHD 4K! happy hunting bro!

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
I’m going to hold out a month or three, LG is replacing the B9 and C9, if I can get a C9 65” for $1,500 or less I’m pulling the trigger. Supposed to be one of the best gaming monitors under a bajjiollion dollars.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I’m going to hold out a month or three, LG is replacing the B9 and C9, if I can get a C9 65” for $1,500 or less I’m pulling the trigger. Supposed to be one of the best gaming monitors under a bajjiollion dollars.
I been holding out for years for OLED to get to be a reasonable price.

Like I mentioned above, the price finally got the my threshold for "buy it now"!

I also tend to be a bit leery of LG, but if you want OLED, they are the only panel game in town (and I'll take LG over Sony).

I also really like the LG magic remote! I was skeptical, but they got it right and it works flawlessly.

Now, if that 77" would just get to a more reasonable price........

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
There are basically no TVs which support 120hz on the input. If you are looking for a 120hz input, then you will need to turn to gaming manufacturers and TVs which have freesync or other gaming functions for such things.

TVs are locked in at 60hz/24hz pretty much across the board from what I've seen.

This also matters because 4K HDR programming hits 18Gb/s at 60hz, which is the max that HDMI 2.0 supports. If you are going to get into 120hz programming, you will need to wait another several years for HDMI 2.1 and the support of 48Gb/s signals which will open up 120hz 4K signals.

If you want a TV, don't make a list of demands. Make a list of desires and buy the best TV which fits your room and your budget. I would look at the top reviewed models across the board, and figure out which one really has the best looking image at different prices and see what works best for you overall.

Finding out what inputs a TV supports is also getting to be extremely difficult. The 65" LG OLED65C9PUA, their top of the line, does have nVidia G-Sync support, and has a 120hz screen rate, but it doesn't list the input resolutions/rates supported in any easy to find fashion. The screams to me that it is limited to 60hz max on the input.

The Sony 950, which is a great LED/LCD display, and one of the top on the market outside of OLED, also buries their input specifications... 60hz is the limit:

So, just go with what works, what fits your budget, and what matches the room you are in. I'm in a really bright family room, so I bought a bright 85" LCD display for my room to replace my plasma. The image is CLEARLY inferior to our previous display. But, the brightness it delivers actually makes up for the lost in black levels we can see. It's going to be a tradeoff. If you don't need the brightness, and are aware of potential burn-in from games, then OLED is the absolute best looking display on the market. If you want/need the brightness and want one of the best images, then the Sony 950 may be one of the best ways to go.

EDIT: If you absolutely demand an input which goes beyond 60hz, you will have to get a gaming monitor, and you will pay through your nose to get it. HP has a 65" that doesn't look as good as the Sony or the LG, but it is 144hz...

You can find it for a measly $2,800 online.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I think your options are good, but if you want to game I'd look for one with adaptive frame rate, which I think LG supports.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
There are basically no TVs which support 120hz on the input. If you are looking for a 120hz input, then you will need to turn to gaming manufacturers and TVs which have freesync or other gaming functions for such things.

TVs are locked in at 60hz/24hz pretty much across the board from what I've seen.

This also matters because 4K HDR programming hits 18Gb/s at 60hz, which is the max that HDMI 2.0 supports. If you are going to get into 120hz programming, you will need to wait another several years for HDMI 2.1 and the support of 48Gb/s signals which will open up 120hz 4K signals.

If you want a TV, don't make a list of demands. Make a list of desires and buy the best TV which fits your room and your budget. I would look at the top reviewed models across the board, and figure out which one really has the best looking image at different prices and see what works best for you overall.

Finding out what inputs a TV supports is also getting to be extremely difficult. The 65" LG OLED65C9PUA, their top of the line, does have nVidia G-Sync support, and has a 120hz screen rate, but it doesn't list the input resolutions/rates supported in any easy to find fashion. The screams to me that it is limited to 60hz max on the input.

The Sony 950, which is a great LED/LCD display, and one of the top on the market outside of OLED, also buries their input specifications... 60hz is the limit:

So, just go with what works, what fits your budget, and what matches the room you are in. I'm in a really bright family room, so I bought a bright 85" LCD display for my room to replace my plasma. The image is CLEARLY inferior to our previous display. But, the brightness it delivers actually makes up for the lost in black levels we can see. It's going to be a tradeoff. If you don't need the brightness, and are aware of potential burn-in from games, then OLED is the absolute best looking display on the market. If you want/need the brightness and want one of the best images, then the Sony 950 may be one of the best ways to go.

EDIT: If you absolutely demand an input which goes beyond 60hz, you will have to get a gaming monitor, and you will pay through your nose to get it. HP has a 65" that doesn't look as good as the Sony or the LG, but it is 144hz...

You can find it for a measly $2,800 online.
The C9 has g-sync and variable refresh rate, they also make the Sony screens. The new LG CX has HDMI 2.1 but will be more than I want to spend. Also Vizio is getting an LG sourced OLED screen and putting their own processors in it which are pretty impressive. Starting to think I should wait until the end of the year around Black Friday, 2020 is looking like a great year for OLED’s.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Apparently the existing C9 has HDMI 2.1. LG is really mum on their specifications as to what resolutions are actually supported. This review indicates that it DOES support up to 120hz on the inputs, but they don't actually test anything. This is a problem for me when someone makes a claim of what a product does, but lacks the capability to fully test, and the manufacturer doesn't publish the actual supported resolutions. HDMI 2.1 doesn't, by default, mean a TV must support 120hz 4K. They must build that feature in. Most TVs going to HDMI 2.1 are doing so to get eARC support, not 120hz 4K support.

This is important to understand.

Make sure the manufacturer is specifying, in writing, that the input will support 4K/120hz on the inputs, and doesn't just say "Yep! We have HDMI 2.1! Go us!!!"

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
Apparently the existing C9 has HDMI 2.1. LG is really mum on their specifications as to what resolutions are actually supported. This review indicates that it DOES support up to 120hz on the inputs, but they don't actually test anything. This is a problem for me when someone makes a claim of what a product does, but lacks the capability to fully test, and the manufacturer doesn't publish the actual supported resolutions. HDMI 2.1 doesn't, by default, mean a TV must support 120hz 4K. They must build that feature in. Most TVs going to HDMI 2.1 are doing so to get eARC support, not 120hz 4K support.

This is important to understand.

Make sure the manufacturer is specifying, in writing, that the input will support 4K/120hz on the inputs, and doesn't just say "Yep! We have HDMI 2.1! Go us!!!"

I’m going to email their tech support and ask. I did watch a YouTube video where they were testing screen response times and it was consistent in the low single digits via HDMI.

Start around 6:20 mark for testing

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
My eldest son is an avid gamer and far more tech savvy in these issues then I am. He has an LG 9 65", and he is very happy with it for gaming, and it is why he chose it. He did have a stuck red pixel and the screen was replaced because of that' and the next screen had an issue out of the box and had to be replaced again.

I have the 77". I do not game. This TV gives a fabulous picture. Fantastic colors and definitions. I have had it up and running since October. I am as you know obsessional about powering and have whole house surge protection and the TV is powered via cable from the UPS in the main AV rack. I don't know if this makes a difference, but I suspect it does. I think this type of gear is fragile and having a tightly regulated and controlled AC supply can't hurt. The UPS units operate often enough to boost or shave voltage, and periodically go briefly to battery. So I suspect with the cost of this type of electronics this is all worth it.

Anyhow so far so good. I did purchase an extended warranty and would advise that if you go with OLED. No LED TV can come close. My other two screens are older Panny plasmas. They are 2K but the picture is better than a 4K LED. Again they are supplied off UPS systems.

I am really an advocate for robust installation infrastructure, that includes powering and a good grounding plane. I really believe that is time, money and effort well spent. These are aspects too often neglected. I always wonder how great a part that plays in failure events we get asked to help with.

I know I had to repair a friends plasma TV that I'm certain would have been prevented from measures I have outlined.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
I watched Gene’s HDMI video that was just released so I checked with LG on the C9 OLED. They assured me the HDMI 2.1 input accepts a 4K 120hz signal, I then asked what specific input GBPS it handles and they said they would check and get back to me. In lieu of Gene’s HDMI video it seems like a moot point unless you are PC gaming or will get the new Xbox or PlayStation which I plan on getting the Xbox. I’ll report back when I get full LG HDMI 2.1 specs.

Andon

Andon

Audioholic
Just one advice to anyone that is on the market for LG OLED. "GET EXTENDED WARRANTY " I am having this problem now. I own a C7P for 24 mounts now and discoloration on screen appeared, according to my findings on line is due to monitors hi temperature. LG is replacing the panels if the tv is in manufacture warranty. I got extended warranty and now they wont repair the tv, they will only give me store credit to get a new one. The only problem is that warranty company is giving me $1700 credit and I pay $2700 for the tv. Back to my point, LG have a known problem with OLED panels discoloration due to over heating. Other than that, love the picture and considering geting OLED again.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
In the next couple months I’m planning on buying a new TV as mine is a basic HD TV that I wanted a Christmas party eight years ago, it’s about time. I’m also cheap and I really want to keep the price as close to $1000 as possible, I don’t mind waiting for sales or open box buys.

Here’s what I think I want but I’m totally up to suggestions as I really don’t understand this stuff too well. I think these specs should cover the above average TV’s in my price range assuming on sale.

1) 4K
2) HDR10
3) 120hz native refresh rate. I know not a lot of content now but I enjoy gaming and I expect the next Xbox to run that pretty well.

4) any reason I should hold off and wait/save for HDMI 2.2?

Any other suggestions or TV brands to avoid? I like the specs of LG’s C9 OLED’s and their 55” is on sale for $1,299 some places but just too small.
Why do you need 120 native refresh rate? If for gaming purpose you should remove OLED because of the potential for burn-in. Not to say burn-in is going happen to you if you purchased one, however the chance it can happen is there especially gaming.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Just one advice to anyone that is on the market for LG OLED. "GET EXTENDED WARRANTY " I am having this problem now. I own a C7P for 24 mounts now and discoloration on screen appeared, according to my findings on line is due to monitors hi temperature. LG is replacing the panels if the tv is in manufacture warranty. I got extended warranty and now they wont repair the tv, they will only give me store credit to get a new one. The only problem is that warranty company is giving me $1700 credit and I pay $2700 for the tv. Back to my point, LG have a known problem with OLED panels discoloration due to over heating. Other than that, love the picture and considering geting OLED again.
My son has gamed a lot with his and has had no burn in. I have not noted any either, but I admit I have been conscious to try and prevent it.

As far as heat is concerned, my panel does not get hot, and my UPS monitors the power draw via an LED bar. Mine is taking minimal power, so I don't see why it should get hot. I do not have mine where their would be a ventilation issue. It takes far less power than my 65" plasma, which does get hot and comes close to maxing out the UPS on a white screen. The plasma screens do get warm, but the OLED does not.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Best Buy [Geek Squad] is the only place I know that offers extended warranties that cover burn-in and they are not cheap. If you get burn-in on your OLED they will most likely replace TV. Keep in mind, if you get burn-in during the first year of ownership, you have to go to LG for warranty service, good luck with that.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
Most burn in on an OLED is temporary if it occurs at all. They all have smart timers, screen savers etc... you really need to be stupid to do it but I guess all those warning labels were written for someone.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Most burn in on an OLED is temporary if it occurs at all. They all have smart timers, screen savers etc... you really need to be stupid to do it but I guess all those warning labels were written for someone.
What do you mean if it occurs at all. Burn-in can and does happen on OLED displays.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis