B

beezer73

Audiophyte
I need help deciding between these two budget speakers. Both are nearly identical from what I can see, but I haven't found a review on the Dayton's.
The Mono's were reviewed here and received a 4/5 performance score and 5/5 value score.
They are both 30" tall, which I like, nearly identical length and width. They have the same weight, the same size woofers, a similar tweeter, although the Mono tweeter is much bigger, the same 45hz tuned cabinet and 45hz - 20k frequency response but the rated wattage is very different. The Mono's are rated at 30w/60w, which seems wrong because the bookshelf version with one less woofer is also rated at 30/60.
The Daytons are rated 90w/150w.
Both are 6ohm.

Without seeing a review, I have no idea if the Dayton's have a better crossover or if one at all, the monoprice simply has a capacitor and the woofers run at full range. Very well though from the review.

I've seen the monoprice for as little as $107 shipped. The Dayton's are on backorder till July. I'm in no hurry to purchase.

B

beezer73

Audiophyte
I need help deciding between these two budget speakers. Both are nearly identical from what I can see, but I haven't found a review on the Dayton's.
The Mono's were reviewed here and received a 4/5 performance score and 5/5 value score.
They are both 30" tall, which I like, nearly identical length and width. They have the same weight, the same size woofers, a similar tweeter, although the Mono tweeter is much bigger, the same 45hz tuned cabinet and 45hz - 20k frequency response but the rated wattage is very different. The Mono's are rated at 30w/60w, which seems wrong because the bookshelf version with one less woofer is also rated at 30/60.
Both are 6ohm.

Without seeing a review, I have no idea if the Dayton's have a better crossover or if one at all, the monoprice simply has a capacitor and the woofers run at full range. Very well though from the review.

I've seen the monoprice for as little as $107 pr. shipped. The Dayton's are on backorder till July. I'm in no hurry to purchase.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Both are 6ohm.

I've seen the monoprice for as little as $107 shipped. The Dayton's are on backorder till July. I'm in no hurry to purchase.
IF you can position them so that the tweeter is aimed at the listener, I would get the Monoprice speakers. While I don't see any reviews for those Dayton Air speakers, other Dayton Air speakers have been reviewed here and elsewhere, and their issues were a bit deeper. Audioholics was going to do an DIY upgrade guide on the Monoprice speakers, but COVID 19 put a hold on that for awhile.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Both are 6ohm.

I'd go with the Mono's. Don't know anything about Daytons, but I know Monoprice is a solid company.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I would go with DCM TP160 on clearance/closeout pricing ... the seller is a good one
I second these or these. Do a search on this forum for reviews. Hurry these are all going fast:

B

beezer73

Audiophyte
Nah I don't like those DCM's. They wouldn't match my decor. The tweeter is inferior to the others, and I'm not convinced that one 6.5 would be as good as TWO.
I had some large DCM's before, 10" woofs, they were ok, but they kept blowing crossovers at $19 a piece. That was 15-20 years ago.
I really like the look of the Dayton's and the Mono's and black goes with everything.

Those little bookshelf speakers, no way, not for me.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Nah I don't like those DCM's. They wouldn't match my decor. The tweeter is inferior to the others, and I'm not convinced that one 6.5 would be as good as TWO.
I had some large DCM's before, 10" woofs, they were ok, but they kept blowing crossovers at $19 a piece. That was 15-20 years ago.
I really like the look of the Dayton's and the Mono's and black goes with everything.
It is not the same DCM company as in the past .... but your call, and enjoy what floats your boat between Dayton and Monoprice ... have fun.

B

beezer73

Audiophyte
It is not the same DCM company as in the past .... but your call, and enjoy what floats your boat between Dayton and Monoprice ... have fun.
I'm pretty sure they are still owned by Mitek, the parent of MTX.

Thanks for your suggestions, all are taken into consideration.

I'm really a Yamaha guy. You can't go wrong with them but they are out of my price range.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I'm pretty sure they are still owned by Mitek, the parent of MTX.
Just for info, not to get you to buy ... still Mitek, but a different design engineer ... the TFE and TP series are really different, the tweeters are really good and the crossover work is much better ... Dan Roemer of Claridy Audio, and who also has done some design work for XTZ speakers was the designer. But the black cabinets are pretty much gone ... maybe some Yamaha speakers will show up on the used market for you. But you still may enjoy Dayton or Monoprice.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

Those little bookshelf speakers, no way, not for me.
That tweeter is not an inferior tweeter and those DCMs are comparable to some good $1000 speakers in build and sound quality. I'd bet the farm they sound far better than Monoprice or Dayton. They're in a whole other league and an absolute steal at those prices.

As far as looks go, I can't argue with you there. If I wanted the best sound possible tho, there's no question I'd pick the DCMs. It's a crime they're going as cheap as they are.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Just for info, not to get you to buy ... still Mitek, but a different design engineer ... the TFE and TP series are really different, the tweeters are really good and the crossover work is much better ... Dan Roemer of Claridy Audio, and who also has done some design work for XTZ speakers was the designer. But the black cabinets are pretty much gone ... maybe some Yamaha speakers will show up on the used market for you. But you still may enjoy Dayton or Monoprice.
Agreed. I bought a pair of the TP bookshelf speakers because they were so cheap and I kept seeing all the glowing reviews and comments about them. I'm still stunned at how good they sound for the price I paid. The TFEs are even better!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis