HTD (Home Theater Direct)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Is anyone here familiar with this company? I stumbled across a pair of "Level 4" towers on Craigslist the other day and they grabbed my attention. They sell TL speakers.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Just on first inspection, I'm not impressed. The subwoofer design I saw is not a transmission line, but more properly an acoustic labyrinth I believe. They also discus a 1/12 wave Transmission Line and a Port Tube. None of my research has shown a port tube in use with transmission lines. That said, a Mass Loaded TL has what is most similar to a "port" in that the terminus of the line is restricted by a smaller opening... otherwise, the end of the line should terminate in a ratio based on the Sd of the driver.
Beyond that, I did not pursue any testing results, if any are even available.
*shrugs

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Just curious. I've hit pause on buying random speakers for now, til I figure out my next move. The ones I saw for sale look kinda nice and I saw "Transmission Line". That always gets me going, lol.

Attachments

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
I came awful close to buying a pair of Level 3 towers during my 2018 speaker midlife crisis. I backed off when I saw the free return shipping applied to everything except towers.

Never knew they had a level four, but my searching put those at circa 2000-2005. The company doesn't advertise much since it's budget ID, but they might be a hidden gem. You should give them a listen!

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
They make pretty good stuff ... the Level Four was a higher-end model ... and their towers have some nice bass .... those felt pads around the tweeter was not done by HTD, it looks like the seller put them there -- I would pass on their subs

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Just on first inspection, I'm not impressed. The subwoofer design I saw is not a transmission line, but more properly an acoustic labyrinth I believe. They also discus a 1/12 wave Transmission Line and a Port Tube. None of my research has shown a port tube in use with transmission lines. That said, a Mass Loaded TL has what is most similar to a "port" in that the terminus of the line is restricted by a smaller opening... otherwise, the end of the line should terminate in a ratio based on the Sd of the driver.
Beyond that, I did not pursue any testing results, if any are even available.
*shrugs
A transmission line is the same as a tuned labyrinth:

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
They seem to have a niche, they've been around for a while now. Their home distribution stuff has been recommended several times on AH. Basic/decent quality at a decent price seemingly....few user reports I can think of.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
A transmission line is the same as a tuned labyrinth:

I've seen the definition of transmission lines specifically describe the driver being placed along the line rather than at the end. With that the differing descriptors... :)

Thanks for that link, I haven't stumbled on that site before! :D

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I've always read good things about HTD. There has been some talk on AH about them here and there over the years. The have a lot of whole house audio products too. They also have a B-stock section on the web.

They are located in Plano (DFW) Texas, which could be an advantage for people that live nearby.

They look like a no nonsense, value oriented company to me, and I have been tempted to buy but never have.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I've always read good things about HTD. There has been some talk on AH about them here and there over the years. The have a lot of whole house audio products too. They also have a B-stock section on the web.

They are located in Plano (DFW) Texas, which could be an advantage for people that live nearby.

They look like a no nonsense, value oriented company to me, and I have been tempted to buy but never have.
This. I actually worked in the same business park where they are located so I got to go demo their speakers in their shop. Super nice group of people and love helping customers.

They also used to frequent this forum. When I talked to them AH had done a review of their Level 2 speakers, but didn't do one of the REALLY in depth speaker reviews.

From what I remember, the level 2 speakers sounded very nice. The Level 3 was a big step up and was mighty impressive.

The owner told me they have a high level speaker designer that designs for all the big companies, but wouldn't tell me who.

I'd buy from them in a heartbeat, but this was at least 6-7 years ago and level 4 that @Pogre posted wasn't a current product. No idea how old those are.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Glad to say that perhaps my instincts were off. :)
For me, user experience is a big part of the game. Even after finding some reviews I am still left with many questions about their product. *shrugs

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis