Question on RBH SV-1212PR setup

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Hey guys I posted this on the RBH thread but also putting it here

So my issue is I'm using the 2 unbalanced inputs for my front 2 subs on my Anthem AVM 60

I'm using one of the balanced inputs for the RBH sub

There is a LFE input for unbalanced standard for most subs) which negates the internal crossover in the RBH but when you use the XLR input it doesn't seem to specify that

So I'm wondering if the crossover in the sub is still active

Now on the crossover button on the back of the RBH it goes all the way to 120 then it stops at a dot marked OUT

I'm assuming that placing it here defeats the internal crossover sending it out to the reciever if using XLR

I'm asking because when calibrating the sub on the Anthem when I send it the test tone it sounds way different at different crossover levels the test tone at 120 Hz sounds horrible

In fact it sounds horrible when I set it to the out marking on the knob

It doesn't sound like the other subs unless I back off on the crossover knob back towards 80hz

So my question is am I setting up the sub properly leaving that crossover knob on OUT when using XLR?

And why is the test tone sounding so weird when I'm going up on frequency when it goes toward 120hz?

Is there something I'm not doing right and do you fellas have any suggestions on how to set it up better when using XLR?

Thanks guys

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The RBH sub has an actual crossover? :) Could be different levels involved between the two types....but I'd ask RBH. Why are you using XLR? Very long run or something?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
The RBH sub has an actual crossover? :) Could be different levels involved between the two types....but I'd ask RBH. Why are you using XLR? Very long run or something?
I'm gonna call em but they won't be open till Monday

I was hoping someone here might have known till then

Well I had the 2 PB 4000's already when I built the theater they were already connected to the unbalanced outs for the subs on the AVM 60

So I figured when I got such a good deal on the RBH to hook it up to one of the 2 XLR outs for subs you can hook up to 4 separate subs on it if you use the 2 unbalanced and the balanced outputs rather then using a splitter

Just being lazy really

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I doubt with a sub it would ever be a discernable audible difference myself (aside from level)....except on a long run subject to high noise interference or something like that....

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Are you sure that it is the sub misbehaving? Did you have that balanced connection run to any other subs before?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Are you sure that it is the sub misbehaving? Did you have that balanced connection run to any other subs before?
No I didn't and it doesn't sound bad when I have it on movies or such what I mean is it's sounds great on regular content it only makes a noise when I move the crossover knob towards 120hz when I'm running calibration tones for the subs from the anthem and it's not the subs making noise it's the sound of the test tone but it sounds pretty well almost painful when you head towards 120hz

I only get a weird noise when I turn up the crossover knob when running the test tones for calibration and only when it's getting up towards 120hz on the crossover

Are they just not supposed to do that?

And unfortunately I have never plugged another sub in the XLR outs so Id be unable to tell I have no frame of reference

We have a big storm coming through maybe I could try the other xlr out since I'll need to unplug the system tonight

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Or maybe tommorow I could activate the crossover on the SVS subs and see if raising there crossover changes the sound of the test tone as well on the unbalanced outs

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Sorry, I am having trouble visualizing what you are saying. So if you use a balanced sub out on the Anthem processor by connecting it to the RBH sub, and you set the crossover knob to 'out' on the subwoofer, it makes bad noises? But not on regular content? What do the noises sound like? Does this happen on test sweeps?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Sorry, I am having trouble visualizing what you are saying. So if you use a balanced sub out on the Anthem processor by connecting it to the RBH sub, and you set the crossover knob to 'out' on the subwoofer, it makes bad noises? But not on regular content? What do the noises sound like? Does this happen on test sweeps?
I'm doing a terrible job probably trying to communicate this

Okay so I was playing around with the sub the other day

Was running calibration test tones the ones the Anthem sends each channel so you can calibrate it with a SPL meter and tweaking all 3 subs to my tastes

I ran the test tones on the RBH sub and decided to tweak the crossover knob it was set in the middle at like 80hz? They don't clearly number the dots

When I moved the crossover knob up towards 120hz the rumble from the sub got higher in pitch and much louder almost unbearably loud or unbearably high? More like the pink noise you hear from a speaker test tone not quiet the same but like that

So when I turned it back towards 80hz or lower the rumble got lower in pitch and maybe not less loud but more rumbly dies this make sense? I hope? Lol

Last edited:
D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I've never noticed a sub to do this before usually with tones it stays the same but I've always used unbalanced and always on the LFE input which defeats the crossover

So I thought maybe when you plug it in by xlr since it doesn't designate it as LFE the subs internal crossover is still active?

So I moved the knob past 120hz on the crossover knob to the spot marked OUT

Which I'm thinking it means the crossover is negated and it's the reciever setting it?

But when I ran a test tone again the rumble was very high in pitch and very loud even when the knob is on that out position

So I just wanted to make sure I'm not screwing something up

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I've looked at the manual and it really doesn't offer any info about plugging in xlr how you would use the recievers crossover rather then the subs from xlr no input on xlr connection at all really

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
OK so the test tone for the sub you were using was the traditional 'rumble' that is used by many AVRs as the subwoofer test sound? If the rumble sound is just a pink noise, then the higher you raise the crossover, the more upper bass sound will be permitted to the subwoofer. If I had to guess, I would say its the AVR sending out a wider band sound than what you are used to. It's hard for me to tell without actually hearing it though.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
OK so the test tone for the sub you were using was the traditional 'rumble' that is used by many AVRs as the subwoofer test sound? If the rumble sound is just a pink noise, then the higher you raise the crossover, the more upper bass sound will be permitted to the subwoofer. If I had to guess, I would say its the AVR sending out a wider band sound than what you are used to. It's hard for me to tell without actually hearing it though.
Yes that traditional rumble from the test tone it's the pink noise from the avr and I think it's spot on what your saying as I turn the crossover up higher the sound the pink noise changes

So that's making sense

So my only concern is when I have the knob on the spot market OUT it seems to play the test tone or pink noise at the level it sounds like at 120hz

So I'm wondering if that place marked out is really to negate the internal crossover and let it be managed by the avr. I just don't want the sub playing all the way to 120hz and the other 2 to 80 be all sorts of interesting issues with that one

I'm thinking it is defeating the crossover so I'm hoping any way it's just the manual really doesn't give you much info

And I can't call RBH right now so so I thought I'd run it by you guys for now give us something to do with the stay at home stuff

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Yes that traditional rumble from the test tone it's the pink noise from the avr and I think it's spot on what your saying as I turn the crossover up higher the sound the pink noise changes

So that's making sense

So my only concern is when I have the knob on the spot market OUT it seems to play the test tone or pink noise at the level it sounds like at 120hz

So I'm wondering if that place marked out is really to negate the internal crossover and let it be managed by the avr. I just don't want the sub playing all the way to 120hz and the other 2 to 80 be all sorts of interesting issues with that one

I'm thinking it is defeating the crossover so I'm hoping any way it's just the manual really doesn't give you much info

And I can't call RBH right now so so I thought I'd run it by you guys for now give us something to do with the stay at home stuff
The AVR governs the sound that the subwoofer will play if everything is properly setup. So long as the subwoofer's filter is not shaving off any of the signal sent in by the AVR, you should be fine. You could have it set to OUT or 120 Hz, it shouldn't make a difference if the AVR is using an 80 Hz crossover point. Keep the sub's crossover as high in frequency as possible on the subwoofer if there is no low-pass filter defeat on it.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
The AVR governs the sound that the subwoofer will play if everything is properly setup. So long as the subwoofer's filter is not shaving off any of the signal sent in by the AVR, you should be fine. You could have it set to OUT or 120 Hz, it shouldn't make a difference if the AVR is using an 80 Hz crossover point. Keep the sub's crossover as high in frequency as possible on the subwoofer if there is no low-pass filter defeat on it.
Thanks Shady!

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Wondering that too, why XLR? Also, why RBH?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
OK. Yes, I do want know why he chose it?
Because the guy selling it sold it to me at an unbelievably great price. Very cool guy a member of this forum Id be stupid to have turned it down

Also just own of those subs outperforms the pb16 ultra by a pretty good margin and they hold there own with it even in the deep bass

They walk all over the PB 4000's its not even close

I'm definetly buying 2 more of there passive versions for sure I'm so impressed with there performance

Finally if you've seen pictures of my theater room I combined performance with aesthetics and those RBH subs simply look gorgeous in my room as nice looking as the 4000"s are they don't even come close to the RBH and 3 or 4 of those in my room would look simply amazing and go with the room so well

I've always hated the metal grills on the 4000's and it's starting to get to me lol

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Did everything you mentioned Shady and it sounds great! Thanks for your help!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis