XTZ spirit 11 + center speaker. What kind of amp?

killbill13

killbill13

Full Audioholic
i have a marantz 5013

what kind of amplification i need for these? Marantz has port for end amplifier to add for power. But i dont know what.

i need to find out the cost. For this 3 things

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It’s probably 4 ohms (4-8 nominal). XTZ recommend about 180W.

Actual power depends on whether you use it as full-range or with subs, how far you sit and how loud you listen.

The tweeter and midrange drivers won’t require much power, but the woofers will require a lot more power. So full-range will require more power.

Rule of thumb is to probably use at least 100 WPC and start with low volume. Then slowly increase volume. If the speakers sound great at the desired volume, then it’s probably okay.

Your AVR will probably work just fine.

But if you are buying an external amp anyway, I would get an amp that can output 200 watts x 2Ch continuous.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
You already bought a sub, didn't you? Why are you trying to eliminate it already?

These are not full range towers, you'll be missing the bottom octave, at least. They're rated to be -3db at 34 Hz. Depending on what type of music you listen to and movies you watch you are leaving out a good chunk of the bass spectrum.

killbill13

killbill13

Full Audioholic
You already bought a sub, didn't you? Why are you trying to eliminate it already?
as soon as its not shipped I can make make changes.
i prefer a setup without subwoofer :cool:
i found a cheap and classy end amplifier. It wont do the Job?
this speakers are 20kg each are you sure they wont do the job?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
i have a marantz 5013

what kind of amplification i need for these? Marantz has port for end amplifier to add for power. But i dont know what.

i need to find out the cost. For this 3 things
I posted previously on another post. Like most current receivers, that Marantz 5013 will not power most currently available speakers, especially not towers. Those speakers are going to be 4 ohm and not 8, especially in the power band. I set one of those receivers up for someone, with towers. The receiver sounded stressed and frankly distressed at more than very moderate volumes, and when pushed got as hot as a pistol.

The problem is that ALL receivers need to be able to provide their rated power into 4 ohms, no excuses. When yo really look at it, receivers currently actually only deliver about half their specified power at best. Receivers, never a good buy, are a lousy buy right now. With all those amps squeezed into one small board you could not possibly expect otherwise.

killbill13

killbill13

Full Audioholic
I posted previously on another post. Like most current receivers, that Marantz 5013 will not power most currently available speakers, especially not towers. Those speakers are going to be 4 ohm and not 8, especially in the power band. I set one of those receivers up for someone, with towers. The receiver sounded stressed and frankly distressed at more than very moderate volumes, and when pushed got as hot as a pistol.

The problem is that ALL receivers need to be able to provide their rated power into 4 ohms, no excuses. When yo really look at it, receivers currently actually only deliver about half their specified power at best. Receivers, never a good buy, are a lousy buy right now. With all those amps squeezed into one small board you could not possibly expect otherwise.
I wont go on and buy, just for future https://www.xtzsound.eu/product/edge-a2-300 if i add this to marantz i am fine with this speakers?

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
that destroys my plan? Is it information under there?
It depends on the type of music you listen to, but yes it can be present in your music and it is certainly present below that in movies. True full range towers will cost you A LOT of money and are almost always large. Probably larger than you want.

i prefer a setup without subwoofer :cool:
this speakers are 20kg each are you sure they wont do the job?
Weight of a speaker has nothing to do with it's ability to eliminate/decrease the need for a sub.

If you really care about bass, you need to forget about giving up a subwoofer unless you're prepared to spend a lot of money and deal with very large towers.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Very large towers are rather expensive and cost a lot more than adding one or two good subwoofers.

If you want bass response down to below 30 Hz, you definitely need at least one subwoofer. As a matter of fact, some full range speakers contain a subwoofer in the same cabinet. For example, my HT system consists of three bi-amplified full range speakers for the front channels. Each 8 cubic foot cabinet contains a 15" subwoofer and I can get a response down to 20 Hz at -3 dB:

killbill13

killbill13

Full Audioholic
Thanks a lot guys i wont do it. i am canceling the project nosubwoofer for now. I will take the subwoofer and keep my existing speakers

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Actually I don't actually believe that there is anything out there on the market that really does what you want.

I have done it and its a challenge. For one thing these days, you have to be able to blend in the LFE signal. This requires some active circuitry. So you really can't purchase a full range speaker that just connects to the loudspeaker terminal.

These are my dual transmission line speakers and transmission line center in my current theater.

The left and right mains truly are full range speakers. They are probably few speakers in the world that truly have that performance. Their design is totally unique and I know of no other speakers designed like those. They are not a knock off of anyone else's design.

If you are still interested there is a quick explanation of the design in this post on another thread.

So I think you need a change of plan unless you want to go to a lot of trouble. Also you could not power those speakers from a receiver, it takes 6 power amp channels for the mains and 2 for the center. In addition three active crossovers are required and a 2 channel buffer amp.

killbill13

killbill13

Full Audioholic
All my sound system has same price with two of this red chairs....heh.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis