Which Electronics to bring for USA to UK move

J

jbo

Audioholic Intern
Will be moving from the USA to the UK, and my workplace will ship our belongings to our destination.

I'm trying to understand items to bring, versus items to give away. From what I have read, seems best advice is to bring items that run off low voltage through by switching the power supply (camera, laptop, monitor) and to leave behind anything that runs off mains voltage (hair dryer, toaster, blender, etc). In terms of switching power supply - does that mean simply buying the US version of the power supply/cord for my UK items?

When it comes to the TV (Sony Bravia KD49XF8096), A/V receiver (Denon X2400H) and subwoofer (BKELEC XXLS400 DF) - I'm unclear if I can bring these items, and how to do so? Can I simply use a new power supply for the TV, A/V reciever and subwoofer?

If I can bring the TV/AV receiver and subwoofer by simply changing the power supply - please let me know. If its more complicated/uncertain (e.g. need transformers) it may be too much hassle for me.

What confuses me the most - it seems common advice to bring computer monitors (they are rated down to 100v), but for the TV (also rated on power supply to 100v) most people say its not worth bringing and wont work properly

Any advice appreciated.

Last edited:
Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
Many if not most small appliances and entertainment components have SMPS supplies which may run on about any voltage from about 90V to 280V. But those that can do this have the info printed on the label. And then there is the problem of different wall receptacles. Lots of smaller components use wall-wort power supplies which convert line voltage AD to low voltage DC, so with some effort you may find replacement wall-worts.
Many phono turntables require 50 Hz AC and N. America has 60 Hz.

J

jbo

Audioholic Intern
Many if not most small appliances and entertainment components have SMPS supplies which may run on about any voltage from about 90V to 280V. But those that can do this have the info printed on the label. And then there is the problem of different wall receptacles. Lots of smaller components use wall-wort power supplies which convert line voltage AD to low voltage DC, so with some effort you may find replacement wall-worts.
Many phono turntables require 50 Hz AC and N. America has 60 Hz.
Your answer is beyond my technical comprehension. I am going to leave behind items that do not go down to 110v. However, my Sony TV goes down to 100v - does this mean I can simply plug it into the US power supply with a UK to USA adaptor, or do I need a new power supply (wall to brick). I'm also unclear on the Denon A/V reciever and subwoofer - if I can bring them or not worth it

langbecker

langbecker

Audioholic Intern
No, u can buy adapters for the outlets

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
In the title of the thread, you relate to moving from UK to the US, and in the first sentence of your text, you talk about moving from the US to UK. Which one is the exact move?

langbecker

langbecker

Audioholic Intern
In the title of the thread, you relate to moving from UK to the US, and in the first sentence of your text, you talk about moving from the US to UK. Which one is the exact move?
Doesn't matter, he can buy adapters

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I thought for tv's the relevant spec was what system(s) it could use...PAL or NTSC (50hz vs 60hz).

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Will be moving from the USA to the UK, and my workplace will ship our belongings to our destination.

I'm trying to understand items to bring, versus items to give away. From what I have read, seems best advice is to bring items that run off low voltage through by switching the power supply (camera, laptop, monitor) and to leave behind anything that runs off mains voltage (hair dryer, toaster, blender, etc). In terms of switching power supply - does that mean simply buying the US version of the power supply/cord for my UK items?

When it comes to the TV (Sony Bravia KD49XF8096), A/V receiver (Denon X2400H) and subwoofer (BKELEC XXLS400 DF) - I'm unclear if I can bring these items, and how to do so? Can I simply use a new power supply for the TV, A/V reciever and subwoofer?

If I can bring the TV/AV receiver and subwoofer by simply changing the power supply - please let me know. If its more complicated/uncertain (e.g. need transformers) it may be too much hassle for me.

What confuses me the most - it seems common advice to bring computer monitors (they are rated down to 100v), but for the TV (also rated on power supply to 100v) most people say its not worth bringing and wont work properly

Any advice appreciated.
You can not use a receiver, TV or video disc player. The UK is PAL and not NTSC. There is no HD radio, their digital radio is DAB and the commonest way to receive a broadcast. The analog FM has a different equalization standard and so will not sound right on a US tuner or receiver.

For the above reasons a US TV is useless in the UK.

As far as low voltage accessories like lap tops, most power adapters are regulated to handle the 240 volts. The 50 Hz main supply rather than 60 Hz us us not usually and issue with these devices. Just check that any of those wall power supplies are rated to 240 volts. That includes cell phone chargers etc.

The UK uses the MK plug and adapters are available. Make sure you purchase them state side, they are hard to get over there.

Do not even think about voltage converters, that always turns into a nightmare. Get rid of any units not 240 volt, 50 Hz

Be prepared for sticker shock on your new purchases due to VAT.

Lastly, if you are planning to move soon you will have trouble getting there right now. Currently you can not get from here to there unless you are in the military. I expect that to go on for some time.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Most TVs though now support PAL and NTSC along with newer ATSC standards for frequencies. This won't be a problem with most televisions as they are all coming off the same assembly lines these days. The Denon receiver, by example, supports 720p, 1080i, 1080p, and 4K signals at 60/50/24 hz. Also some 25hz. So, no issues with hooking up sources from the USA to that product.

I would expect similar from the television and from many other electronics.

The power supply, on the other hand, is potentially a completely different issue. The Denon, for the US market, is rated with a 120v power supply. If I were to take it to the UK, I would need to purchase a 230 to 120 step down transformer to ensure it worked. It's not simply a 'plug' converter, but an active transformer that could do the job.

The UK manual for the 2400H specifically lists the power as a 230v model (specifications section)....

So, there are some real differences that would need to be addressed.

TVs often have internationally rated power supplies. So, you have to look in the manual for each product you are considering moving, and then decide. If it has a international power supply with a 110-240v rating, then it can at least be plugged in over here and work. All you would need is the proper plug for our receptacles. If it doesn't have matching voltage, you would need to consider the cost of a step-up transformer to make it work.

Step up transformers vary all over the place in terms of price, but it looks like it's about $65 in the US to get one which would do the trick for the Denon...

Your subwoofer pretty clearly is using 230v as well... This is a brand I've never heard of, likely because they don't ship to the USA and don't make a USA compliant model from what it seems.

And the TV is fighting you as well...
The TV appears to use an external AC power adapter. So, perhaps you could just buy a replacement which is 120v compatible.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis