Surround placement question.

clamatowas

clamatowas

Junior Audioholic
I've been reading though the E-Book v1-10 when I came across this: Surround and rear channels: These speakers should ideally be at least 2 feet above the listeners’ heads when seated.

Do you know if I should set the 2ft to be: top, bottom, center or center of a cone?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
While exact distances will very, most of the higher measurement seems to be designed to get the "line-of-sight" so that the sound is not blocked from reaching our ears by furniture... think high back chairs for example.

My ears are about 49" high when I sit in my seat... my surround tweeters are ~53" high on-center. I don't have any intervening furniture to block the sound.

More importantly is if you add Atmos at any time, you need a distinct separation between your Bed layer, and your Atmos speakers. If you have surrounds mounted 6'H, and Atmos speakers at 8' high (for example), then you do not have adequate separation for the distinct sounds.
For that, I would refer you back to Dolby Guidelines as a cross reference.

Remember, that we all have to do this in imperfect environments... at least most of us do... so then you have to also pick and choose which compromises you make to achieve the best scenario for your particular environment.
:)

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I've been reading though the E-Book v1-10 when I came across this: Surround and rear channels: These speakers should ideally be at least 2 feet above the listeners’ heads when seated.

Do you know if I should set the 2ft to be: top, bottom, center or center of a cone?
Usually measured at the tweeter.
I agree with ryan in a number points. IMO rather than a specific height, you should have them at about 25-30° above the ear. Depending on room width, the height will change. Also as he said, if you go with Atmos in the future then you’ll have to lower the side/rears. If you know will never go with Atmos, or don’t mind lowering speakers in the future then mount them up at 5 or 6 feet and aim them down at the LP. I’m a big fan of articulating mounts so you can experiment.

clamatowas

clamatowas

Junior Audioholic
I do planing on going with 4 speakers Atmos and I Have 8' ceilings. Stupid original builders of this home did not spring for the 9' basement upgrade.

clamatowas

clamatowas

Junior Audioholic
Because of the width and height of my room the 25-30 degree won't work out. If I use the 2ft rule I can have ~30" between the ceiling and the side channels, enough distance? My Atmos speakers are also 31" away from the wall at center.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I do planing on going with 4 speakers Atmos and I Have 8' ceilings. Stupid original builders of this home did not spring for the 9' basement upgrade.
If you have the option of going in-ceiling, then that will give you a little more separation than going on-wall like I will have to for my Atmos when I get to it. As Bill mentioned, size of room matters too, and where your seating is in relation to the speakers.
The Dolby guidelines are very helpful for understanding different placement options... How to apply them is the trick, perhaps the art, of building a good rig. ;)

My rears are wall mounted above a closet... tweeter is 82.5" H on-center. I've considered turning those into Rear Heights if I can find the right processor that will allow me to do Front Height and Top Middle for a 5.x.6 arrangement. I have also considered the possibility of a Rear Center as I do have space in my room to put a single speaker on a stand at the rear... which could give me a 6.x.6 arrangement. o_Oo_Oo_O
Again, this is all based of figuring out what works for your situation, and having the right gear in place to manage it.
My current processing capabilities will only allow for up to 7.x.4, with the bed layer allowing for a Rear Center... but Front/Back Height speakers are less desirable that Top speakers. In my room, Top Middle with Front/Rear Heights would give me a very immersive Atmos layer over a very solid 5.x Bed layer...

Love me some 1st World, 21st Century problems! :p

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Because of the width and height of my room the 25-30 degree won't work out. If I use the 2ft rule I can have ~30" between the ceiling and the side channels, enough distance? My Atmos speakers are also 31" away from the wall at center.
What's the 25-30º thing?

I would say again, that the placement of those surrounds is also dependent on your seating arrangement. I would go a little lower if you don't have furniture or lots of heads to block the audio. :) Another consideration are the speakers being used for your surrounds. If you stick with horn loaded, you want those aimed closer to your position than with a wide dispersion speaker. Also, I would completely avoid any Bi-pole/Di-pole designs.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Well like all of this there are no hard and fast rules. Just guidelines to get you close. One foot would be better and still give enough height to clear other listeners heads. You might wanna read this.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
What's the 25-30º thing?

I would say again, that the placement of those surrounds is also dependent on your seating arrangement. I would go a little lower if you don't have furniture or lots of heads to block the audio. :) Another consideration are the speakers being used for your surrounds. If you stick with horn loaded, you want those aimed closer to your position than with a wide dispersion speaker. Also, I would completely avoid any Bi-pole/Di-pole designs.
Hi!!!
I mentioned earlier that instead of a hard number of inches above LP, 25-30° above the listener is better since it uses room width vs an arbitrary number.

clamatowas

clamatowas

Junior Audioholic
I used p29 of this when I ran the cables for my overhead speakers. I'd planned on getting 4 of these https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0074XI30K/ref=psdc_12097474011_t5_B001587M02

In my room ceiling is 8' tall and each wall is 8' from the "sweet spot." The couch I got has a higher back (in relation to the seat) sitting at 37" (tallest thing in the room). Mostly I got this couch because it's very deep. I'm 6'1" and sitting down my ear is pretty much at 37". I mounted my SL and SR before I read anything and I put them so the bottom is at 42". That's only a 6" difference.. I can move them up another 2" before I would need to relocate the plates, worth moving the plate to get at least 1.5 feet from the bottom, 2' from center?

Amp + Pre: Yamaha MX-A5200 CX-A5200 combo.
Sub: HSU VTF-15H
Center: RP-450CA
LR: Ref IV RF82
Surrounds x4: REF IV RS42

I also have 2x Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-140SA not really sure what to do with them, my initial though twas to use them as rear or rear height as I have no back wall to mount rear speakers on and I'd rather not place stands behind the couch as that will eat into my VR space.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis