hitting the coronavirus wall (no phone support at sony or samsung) please help with simple question.

R

rickyv

Audiophyte
I had a simple system where my mediocre tv was needing my mediocre (Sony STR770) receiver to be on (due to weak audio on tv)to watch TV. Also had simple rca outs from tv to secondary input at receiver to listen to files on a USB inserted into the TV..
BUT..
Now I have e much better TV with much better audio (purchased for that reason) so I can save the hours of the Sonys life for just LOUD music (like it should be).
THE ISSUE Is that the new TV has no picture when the receiver is turned off AND the new TV has no RCA outs for other sound source.. IT DOES have fiber out though..

Of course all I have to do is bypass the receiver and all is well but I want my cake and eat it too.. please ...
(BTW) I tried to use the fiber to the Sony, but could not get that to work.. Thus the failed call to Sony. Manual did not solve the issue of port assignment. (clue?)

Is there a way to have both options.. TV sound for normal watching and then turn the receiver on and have home theater..(kinda-I have the Klipsch Bi-Amped) when I want to have loud tv?
All the help I have found include the basic (insert HMDI wire here) and the jump to massive information on 4k streaming CODEC's -leaving a whole lot of ground in the middle.

Thanks for any and all ideas!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Well you need an HDMI cable HDCP 2.2 version. Connect it from the HDMI ARC return on the TV to the HDMI ARC return on your receiver..

This is how the receiver is set up.

There is no sound from the TV via the HDMI TV OUT (ARC) jack when using the Audio Return Channel function.  Set “CTRL HDMI” to “CTRL ON” in the “” menu.  Make sure that your TV is compatible with the Audio Return Channel function.  Make sure that the HDMI cable is connected to a jack on your TV that is compatible with the Audio Return Channel function.

You did not mention what TV you have. There will certainly need to be some set up on the TV. You will need to select TV audio in your receiver when you want to hear the TV via the receiver.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Is there a way to have both options.. TV sound for normal watching and then turn the receiver on and have home theater..(kinda-I have the Klipsch Bi-Amped) when I want to have loud tv?
All the help I have found include the basic (insert HMDI wire here) and the jump to massive information on 4k streaming CODEC's -leaving a whole lot of ground in the middle.

Thanks for any and all ideas!
First of all, if you set up the Sony correctly, your TV should have pictures even when the Sony AVR is turned off.
Secondary, according to the instructions, you do have multiple options including as you mentioned bypassing the Sony for video. Between is pasted from the operating instructions page 22. The ARC option TLSGuy suggested is on the next page (23). Depending on your TV, setting up ARC may take some effort but if you know how to do it, it is a very good option.

1586438700588.png

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What tv has speakers worth listening to? :) Cannot imagine using tv speakers....and I worry more about hours on my plasmas than those on the avrs.

R

rickyv

Audiophyte
thanks to all of you .. I kinda figured it would be something simple but man was it SIMPLE! I just needed to set HDMI to control on the Sony Receiver.. I now have to switch the HDMI control off and on depending on music (from TV) and watching TV due to the way it re-enables the HDMI each time I pause the show. It even turns on the receiver.. no big issue.
Yea I know TV's are not suppose to have good audio but the Samsung Q80T (not the more expensive Q80R) has 60 watts, sub-woofer and facial tracking voice that follows the subject on the screen. It also has voice amplification that brings out the voices over that very annoying background music (noise) on many shows.
I will be back for more knowledge from you all later..
Thanks again.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
thanks to all of you .. I kinda figured it would be something simple but man was it SIMPLE! I just needed to set HDMI to control on the Sony Receiver.. I now have to switch the HDMI control off and on depending on music (from TV) and watching TV due to the way it re-enables the HDMI each time I pause the show. It even turns on the receiver.. no big issue.
Yea I know TV's are not suppose to have good audio but the Samsung Q80T (not the more expensive Q80R) has 60 watts, sub-woofer and facial tracking voice that follows the subject on the screen. It also has voice amplification that brings out the voices over that very annoying background music (noise) on many shows.
I will be back for more knowledge from you all later..
Thanks again.
Glad we could help.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis