Denon crossover settings not working properly? Mains are outputting 20 Hz content although crossover is at 250 Hz

I

Isak Öhrlund

Junior Audioholic
For frequencies as low as 20Hz, I would not trust my ears even if you are right at the speaker. If you hear upper harmonics or even the sounds from the attack of the note (which are almost always at higher frequencies) your brain will place the 20Hz at the source of those sounds!
The mains are putting out sound when fed a 20 Hz sine wave tone from REW at low volume with a 250 Hz crossover, that is it. I was surprised they made any sound at all. That's why I made this post. I have not looked into whether the sound they make will cause me any trouble yet, I'm waiting for my family life to give me the opportunity.

Why a 250 hz crossover? That seems really high to start with. Are you using small cube-type speakers or something?
To sweep the subs using a signal to the mains, as I can't get ASIO to work with REW.

I trying telling him Audssey's sub EQ HT can do the job nicely, likely better as it will deal with.
I'm not going to use Audyssey, I'm going to use a miniDSP, that's why I need to sweep the subs manually.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The mains are putting out sound when fed a 20 Hz sine wave tone from REW at low volume with a 250 Hz crossover, that is it. I was surprised they made any sound at all. That's why I made this post. I have not looked into whether the sound they make will cause me any trouble yet, I'm waiting for my family life to give me the opportunity.

To sweep the subs using a signal to the mains, as I can't get ASIO to work with REW.

I'm not going to use Audyssey, I'm going to use a miniDSP, that's why I need to sweep the subs manually.
You missed the point, I know you won't use Audyssey to EQ. My suggestion was for you to use Audyssey to align the two subs, that is, just run the first position, or more, but once it is done you can set Audyssey to off and the subs would have been aligned nicely, most likely better than doing manually with the minidsp. After that you can play with your minidsp all day long.

I am going to say it one last time, that your mains will have a little bit of output at 20Hz, just barely, but you are hearing it from the subwoofer unless you have it turned off. It is simple to turn off the sub just to prove it to yourself, I don't understand why you won't do it. I was just trying to help but that's it for me.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis