Do smaller drivers cause more ear pain and tinnitus??

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I’m using a jamo 5.1 system with a decent little Yamaha obsolete receiver 6.1 tho so I planned on adding a rear center someday .
Can sony mini hifi bookshelves merge well with a Sony center with Kevlar woofers or should I just wait until I get matching fronts ??

I’m using this system and speakers but I think the small drivers hurt my ears more .
Smaller tv room system
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?share_fid=59414&share_tid=116860&url=https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/index.php?threads/Smaller-tv-room-system-.116860/&share_type=t&link_source=ap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If something is aggravating your tinnitus, it isn't the driver sizes. It might be some kind of elevated treble or sibilance. If your Yamaha has a tone control, taper off the treble by a few dB and see what happens.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I’m using a jamo 5.1 system with a decent little Yamaha obsolete receiver 6.1 tho so I planned on adding a rear center someday .
Can sony mini hifi bookshelves merge well with a Sony center with Kevlar woofers or should I just wait until I get matching fronts ??

I’m using this system and speakers but I think the small drivers hurt my ears more .
Smaller tv room system
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?share_fid=59414&share_tid=116860&url=https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/index.php?threads/Smaller-tv-room-system-.116860/&share_type=t&link_source=ap

Ear pain and tinnitus have nothing to do with driver size. But listening at high volumes can cause ear pain and trigger tinnitus.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
OP, best to ask your wife or girlfriend about driver size causing sensation. ;)

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Only if you crank the volume in an attempt to make them sound like larger speakers without blending the sub and satellites correctly, especially if the room is very reflective.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

It's those Radio Shack subs. The bass is so powerful that it's damaged your hearing.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
It's those Radio Shack subs. The bass is so powerful that it's damaged your hearing.
I don’t consider it a real true subwoofer, it’s a woofer a low end one at that . It nearly blew up a few times already.
G

Lmao no .
It’s so whimpy bass does not extend low enough, box built way too small a single port would need double to work .
That subs not in use it’s sitting out in my garage .
My left ear hurts even when volume isn’t loud , diy . Ive been to a ent doctor he could find nothing wrong .
Box could be reinforced for cheap probably on outside , but a second port maybe needed it has air issues .

My sound system is not causing the pain , it’s daily noises around the house , I need sleeping earplugs , but not the throw away type those are super low end .
It’s not even worth price of a food repair repair ... maybe a cheap fix , super glue ,wood glue ; duck tape , clear or ugly , maybe goose egg flavored.

Last edited:
Bizarro_Stormy

Bizarro_Stormy

Audioholics Whac-A-Mole'er™
Smaller drivers will only hurt your ears if the tiny cars they ride in take the tiny road into your teeny-tiny ear canal...

I think...

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Smaller drivers will only hurt your ears if the tiny cars they ride in take the tiny road into your teeny-tiny ear canal...

I think...
Maybe the reptilian already got in yours ..
I mean smaller drivers are heavier on the treble and midrange that could be irrational my ears .

It’s a serious issue for many audiophiles and various other hobbies . Like wild tree frog Catching , those things are loud.

S

sterling shoote

Maybe the reptilian already got in yours ..
I mean smaller drivers are heavier on the treble and midrange that could be irrational my ears .

It’s a serious issue for many audiophiles and various other hobbies . Like wild tree frog Catching , those things are loud.

Come on down here to Eastern Kentucky for some night time tree frog and cricket entertainment. It will be a lullaby or a nightmare . I love it, just add a thunder shower and it's a slice of heaven.

highfigh

highfigh

Smaller tv room system

Reduce the volume level and see if your ears seem better- distortion produces high frequencies that you're not actually hearing but are still reaching your ears.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Reduce the volume level and see if your ears seem better- distortion produces high frequencies that you're not actually hearing but are still reaching your ears.
I’ve woke up in morning with ear pain , even a fan seems to produce enough distortion to do that.
Doctor said I could be grinding my teeth at night but I cannot afford a mouth guard for that . So it’s mysterious thing , even on my better system that ear hurts even on thx modes.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
I have some headphones.

By headphone standards, they have pretty big drivers; but by speaker standards they are lilliputian.

Volume damages hearing. Overdriven drivers are more likely to give uneven output (so: volume in narrow bands). Small drivers (unless in arrays or otherwise compensated for) are more likely to be overdriven.

highfigh

highfigh

I’ve woke up in morning with ear pain , even a fan seems to produce enough distortion to do that.
Doctor said I could be grinding my teeth at night but I cannot afford a mouth guard for that . So it’s mysterious thing , even on my better system that ear hurts even on thx modes.

Go to an athletic store- they sell mouth guards for football, soccer, etc. They're cheap.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Go to an athletic store- they sell mouth guards for football, soccer, etc. They're cheap.
I don’t think it’s even needed , definitely a hearing sensitivity issue . My sisters baby was screening because they put it upstairs near my bedroom. My left ear feels like it’s on fire , so much pain .

I need earplugs

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I need earplugs
Go to Walgreens, you can get some cheap foam ones (I like hearos softees) that will help to drown out screaming children and mothers incessantly nagging you to get rid of your crap. Roll them up and insert them. Boom, quiet bliss...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis