M

Mpsafranski

Audioholic
Here is my current in room frequency response for my Ascend towers at the mlp, per REQ, smoothed to 1/12. Not too concerned about the bass at this point because I have 6 bands of PEQ and phase adjustability to play with between my two SVS subs so I will do my best to flatten that out. I also messed up and did NOT turn off active PEQ filters or adjust phase back to 0 when I re-ran Audyssey (D’oh!) so I’m also assuming I’ll need to re-run it with the subs set correctly back to default. This is a post Audyssey measurement, with room correction set to stop at 300hz and it looks marginally better than what Audyssey did when I let it correct up to 20k but they were relatively similar.

I’m wondering about the rest of the plot. I always see FR charts of speakers measured outdoors or in other controlled environments but it’s hard to determine from the time I’ve put in, what is an acceptable, real world, in room response? Is this abhorrent? Not so bad? There are obvious areas with peaks and dips but I’m curious what you guys would do if your room/speakers measured like this.

Music is sounding pretty good to my ears, yet not as good as it did when I brought them in to a store to compare with the MA Silvers (in a closed, semi treated room)

Thanks as ever!

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
You should try the “camera” icon. Save as, and then upload that way. Much easier to see.

M

Mpsafranski

Audioholic
Rookie move 1) not knowing that, and 2) closing the program without saving any results. :confused:
sorry about that image quality will run it again tomorrow

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Rookie move 1) not knowing that, and 2) closing the program without saving any results. :confused:
sorry about that image quality will run it again tomorrow
No worries. Should’ve auto saved. Ext time you open you should be able to select the file. If you want...

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
:p
Or at least edit the photo first... I had to bust out my repelling gear and stand on my wall! :oops:o_O:oops:

M

Mpsafranski

Audioholic
:p
Or at least edit the photo first... I had to bust out my repelling gear and stand on my wall! :oops:o_O:oops:
JFC Good thing this is the last place my wife would ever be. Had that up to make her laugh didn’t realize it was in the background thanks for bringing attention to it

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
right!? I was just suggesting that he edit the photo so it shows up in the right orientation.
That’s exactly what I thought you meant. Until he responded! I usually look at pics pretty thoroughly, but I guess I’m slippin...

M

Mpsafranski

Audioholic
EC1AE9EF-B503-43F0-A17E-75333FC665A2.jpeg

There we go, at least it’s oriented correctly now. I did double check, it didn’t save so I’ll run it again tomorrow if this doesn’t help.
Also Hahahaha you didn’t miss anything salacious, and I suppose you’d only know exactly what was in the background if you’ve got kids—there was just the bottom portion of a picture I took of her in a compromised spot hooked up to her pumping equipment snuck into the original post

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Looks about +/-4dB for the most part, which is alright.

The bass looks pretty good - I like hot bass. :D

Does it sound good?

If it sounds great, then the measurements are purely academic FYI.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Looks like a good response in room. How does it sound to you? Like AcuDefTechGuy said, the bass is particularly good for in-room.

M

Mpsafranski

Audioholic
It is nice, when the bass doesn’t have any big peaks, being able to run it hot!!!
So, yes—the way all is set up right now does sound good. Again, not as good as it did in a closed room, but then again I’ll not be making any renovations anyway.
I was just looking for the forum’s opinion, I wasn’t sure what a decent in room response would look like. And it took me hours of experimenting with placement to get it to look that good. As it is there are also a couple bare walls, and no treatment or anything behind the speakers. I was wondering if you guys would see that resonance between 500-600hz and have a suggestion since I think that is one of the things that stuck out to me.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It is nice, when the bass doesn’t have any big peaks, being able to run it hot!!!
So, yes—the way all is set up right now does sound good. Again, not as good as it did in a closed room, but then again I’ll not be making any renovations anyway.
I was just looking for the forum’s opinion, I wasn’t sure what a decent in room response would look like. And it took me hours of experimenting with placement to get it to look that good. As it is there are also a couple bare walls, and no treatment or anything behind the speakers. I was wondering if you guys would see that resonance between 500-600hz and have a suggestion since I think that is one of the things that stuck out to me.
Manual Parametric EQ might be able to reduce that peak, but if everything sounds great, I personally wouldn't worry or lose any sleep.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Here is my current in room frequency response for my Ascend towers at the mlp, per REQ, smoothed to 1/12. Not too concerned about the bass at this point because I have 6 bands of PEQ and phase adjustability to play with between my two SVS subs so I will do my best to flatten that out. I also messed up and did NOT turn off active PEQ filters or adjust phase back to 0 when I re-ran Audyssey (D’oh!) so I’m also assuming I’ll need to re-run it with the subs set correctly back to default. This is a post Audyssey measurement, with room correction set to stop at 300hz and it looks marginally better than what Audyssey did when I let it correct up to 20k but they were relatively similar.

I’m wondering about the rest of the plot. I always see FR charts of speakers measured outdoors or in other controlled environments but it’s hard to determine from the time I’ve put in, what is an acceptable, real world, in room response? Is this abhorrent? Not so bad? There are obvious areas with peaks and dips but I’m curious what you guys would do if your room/speakers measured like this.

Music is sounding pretty good to my ears, yet not as good as it did when I brought them in to a store to compare with the MA Silvers (in a closed, semi treated room)

Thanks as ever!
Just curious about how you like your Ascend Towers, and how they matched up to the MA Silvers you listened to? I have had the same speakers for about 5 years now. (With the ribbon tweeters) I still enjoy mine, but I've been thinking lately about how much I would have to spend to get better sound. I had Ascend make me a custom horizon center to fit my rack. Dialogue is just amazing from this speaker. No need to run it hot at all. I use a Yamaha 3060 with mine. Again just curious about your thoughts on these speakers. :)
Thanks!

M

Mpsafranski

Audioholic
I really love them. When I first got the towers I wasn’t sure, because my $250 Elac bookshelves sounded incredible for the money. But when I finally discovered the A/B function on my receiver and compared them that way vs unplugging one and plugging in the other, there was no comparison. I love the highs through those ribbons and everything else comes through more clearly/textured/detailed.
When compared to the Silver 500s, they both sounded great—I’d have been happy with those, too. But the Ascends sounded a tad warmer and I liked the mid bass and mids better. MA had the edge in low bass as one would expect, but I cross over at 80 anyway.
i left there feeling good about my decision.And the. The Horizon finally arrived and that thing is incredible.
I didn’t get a listen to the Golds or Platinums because they were firmly out of my price range and I frankly wasn’t interested in having the knowledge of how good even more expensive speakers sounded! But hearing the Silvers I’ve no doubt the golds and platinums would be excellent.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
You did great. Makes the time and effort worth it when you get great results like that, huh?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis