Loudspeaker bases, spikes or something else.

killbill13

killbill13

Full Audioholic
watch my floor, i have tiles.

thats my speakers. https://www.hifitest.de/test/lautsprecher_stereo/advance_acoustic-kubik_k3_7967 a pair.
they have weak bass.

i dont have money for new so i will try to take blood out of stone :cool:

i found someone who does bases. so the question is down to the floor, spikes or carbon fiber?
also do i need isolation beetween speaker and metallic base stand? i mean the place that the speaker touches the base...
my base will be something like this.
without the arc in the down

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Are you asking us if floor spikes will make your speakers sound better?

Short answer is no. What you need is a better subwoofer.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Are you asking us if floor spikes will make your speakers sound better?

Short answer is no. What you need is a better subwoofer.
We have long memories when it comes to that! ;)

@killbill13 I agree with Pogre here. No need for spikes on a hard floor. Good rubber feet would be fine. For the stands themselves, possibly a foam pad between the speaker and the stand. Not so much about the sound from the speaker, but some stands can “ring” a little with acoustic energy. (Perhaps you’ve seen stands that you can fill with sand?)
If spikes are part of the deal, make certain you have the discs to put under them. (On my phone, so not gonna google it... but a quick search will show you what I’m talking about.) :)

killbill13

killbill13

Full Audioholic
We have long memories when it comes to that! ;)

@killbill13 I agree with Pogre here. No need for spikes on a hard floor. Good rubber feet would be fine. For the stands themselves, possibly a foam pad between the speaker and the stand. Not so much about the sound from the speaker, but some stands can “ring” a little with acoustic energy. (Perhaps you’ve seen stands that you can fill with sand?)
If spikes are part of the deal, make certain you have the discs to put under them. (On my phone, so not gonna google it... but a quick search will show you what I’m talking about.) :)
Yes A base to fill them with something. I didnt order anything yet. its a DIY guy but he does it good. spices or rubber feet, what ever i say him. So rubber feet.
foam pad ok for under the speaker. Something else to say to this guy?
here in Greece they like to put cat sand from supermarket. Its cheap and smells good. And helps the sound

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Now wait, you're planning to put your speakers on stands! That just sunk in and I'm an idiot sometimes. I fully support this decision and I do believe you may even hear an improvement!

*Edit: Lots of folks use cat litter (sand) here as well. Should work just fine.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I’ve always heard kiln dried sand. Many use Cat Litter, though I’ve always heard it best to use plain. You want something inert, dry, non corrosive... if it wasn’t toxic, lead pellets are best. Again, anything like those mentioned above that will keep steel from rusting or corroding. :)

for the feet, if it doesn’t add much cost, you could always use an M8 female screw on bottom of stand so youhave the option of choosing spikes or feet if your situation changes. (Spikes are better for carpet.)
:)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I’ve always heard kiln dried sand. Many use Cat Litter, though I’ve always heard it best to use plain. You want something inert, dry, non corrosive... if it wasn’t toxic, lead pellets are best. Again, anything like those mentioned above that will keep steel from rusting or corroding. :)

for the feet, if it doesn’t add much cost, you could always use an M8 female screw on bottom of stand so youhave the option of choosing spikes or feet if your situation changes. (Spikes are better for carpet.)
:)
I was so set on thinking this was another half measure that I didn't realize he's actually doing something substantial. Hence my "get a better sub" post.

I'm such an asshole sometimes. Sorry about that @killbill13! I'm glad to see you're loosening up a bit and trying one of our suggestions.

killbill13

killbill13

Full Audioholic
I was so set on thinking this was another half measure that I didn't realize he's actually doing something substantial. Hence my "get a better sub" post.

I'm such an asshole sometimes. Sorry about that @killbill13! I'm glad to see you're loosening up a bit and trying one of our suggestions.
I will, i am trying to get rid of this first.(my pic)
that speakers on stands will put the tweeter to ear level. Now its 40cm lower

killbill13

killbill13

Full Audioholic
Speaker stands was one! Maybe you said it too.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
This is easiest... you can see the discs here too. :)

Many spikes have the screw integrated... M8 or M6 are common sizes, as would be 1/4-20 here in the US. So having the base of the stand have the equivalent female receptacle would give you the option to switch if ever you needed/wanted.

Does that make sense? :)

Here... I found a stand to use as an example... not recommending you copy this, but at least you can see the base with an option to choose between spikes and feet.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hopefully you can experiment with other speaker positions now, too. Good luck.

killbill13

killbill13

Full Audioholic
my tweeter is 7cm from bottom of the speaker. Tweeter is down from woofer in my speaker.
my distance from speakers is 2.80 meters.
i said i want 80cm height bases. He said 75 is more recommended for stability. and it doesnt change in sound because of distance.
so what height i am using? 75 or 80. Which is finally +7cm because of the tweeter height.

Attachments

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
How high is your ear-hole when you sit at you Listening Position.

Exact is not completely necessary, but if you can get it so that you are within ±15º of on axis, you are good.
Also, if you use a foam monitor pad, that will add about 2".

killbill13

killbill13

Full Audioholic

Exact is not completely necessary, but if you can get it so that you are within ±15º of on axis, you are good.
90cm from ground.
foam pad is not reccomded by the contructor of the bases, he reccomends just cat sand, and just blue tak under speakers to make them stuck with the up metal stand. For stability. he thinks my speakers are very light and bases more high than they should be for stability

killbill13

killbill13

Full Audioholic

Didnt understand axis thing.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Point of comparison, I have 34 pound speakers on 36" (about 90cm) stands. The stands are steel and iron, and two of the uprights are sand filled.
For reference:

These are my surrounds. the tweeters are 53" high (on center). 57" to top of speaker.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis