Turntable sound problem

D

DJ BDIT

Audiophyte
Hi there and just looking for help. I have a technics 1200 and replaced the cartridge with an m44-7. Unfortunately when I try to play a record the sound is just awful and every blue moon you can hear a part of the song while for the most part it’s just extremely distorted, just load my distorted. I have video but couldn’t attach it here, any ideas?

D

DJ BDIT

Audiophyte
Actually never have. I just took it out of the bag, connected the wires by matching the colors then screwed it in with the weight. Now on the other hand I also tried out another one and it didn’t change, same problem

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Actually never have. I just took it out of the bag, connected the wires by matching the colors then screwed it in with the weight. Now on the other hand I also tried out another one and it didn’t change, same problem
That's far from how to do it. Download the manual and follow the instructions. Did you get the overhang gauge with your tt?

D

DJ BDIT

Audiophyte
No, no overhang gauge. I did order a protractor so do you think it’s just improper installation?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No, no overhang gauge. I did order a protractor so do you think it’s just improper installation?
Probably since that's what you just did. It is a new cartridge, yes? What was the previous cart?

D

DJ BDIT

Audiophyte
Yes it is. Any specific tips or things you would suggest otherwise?

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Intermittent sound might be a loose connection , or a dirty connection somewhere in chain or selected input .

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Setting up and installing a new cartridge is a highly skilled endeavor if done correctly. Your problem is almost certainly due to the wrong tacking weight. All cartridges have a different weight and so the tracking weight has to be reset carefully and VERY accurately. There are a series of adjustments that have to be made. Turntables are highly intolerant of even small errors. I would bet that most turntable uses get sub optimal results due to errors in set up.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi there and just looking for help. I have a technics 1200 and replaced the cartridge with an m44-7. Unfortunately when I try to play a record the sound is just awful and every blue moon you can hear a part of the song while for the most part it’s just extremely distorted, just load my distorted. I have video but couldn’t attach it here, any ideas?
Does the tonearm seem like it can't stay in the groove? If so, you need to set it up properly. Post a photo of the cartridge as it sits on the LP.

If the platter starts to turn as soon as you move the tonearm to play an LP, unplug the turntable for the next step-

look at the cartridge from the side, as it rests on the LP- can you see any light between the plastic piece that holds the stylus and the small metal tube coming out from the cartridge (as shown in the photo)?

If you can't see the small tube, your tracking weight is way off and you'll need to set it up properly.

D

DJ BDIT

Audiophyte
Does the tonearm seem like it can't stay in the groove? If so, you need to set it up properly. Post a photo of the cartridge as it sits on the LP.

If the platter starts to turn as soon as you move the tonearm to play an LP, unplug the turntable for the next step-

look at the cartridge from the side, as it rests on the LP- can you see any light between the plastic piece that holds the stylus and the small metal tube coming out from the cartridge (as shown in the photo)?

If you can't see the small tube, your tracking weight is way off and you'll need to set it up properly.
Wow thanks so much let me work on these, really appreciate it!

S

sterling shoote

OP, you mentioned you have a Technics SL-1200. You can download the manual for any version of it and then from just following set up and cartridge alignment instructions get the most from the turntable. For sure, this turntable may be the easiest turntable out there to set-up properly with nothing more than a small screw driver and the Technics cartridge alignment gauge. If you do not have that gauge you can order one on-line. BTW, did you buy your TT used? The Shure M44 cartridge is associated with SL-1200's used for Disco work, which made me think you bought your TT used from seller marketing used DJ gear. At any rate, even when a cart can be mounted with relative ease, if you are a klutz, Ortofon makes a series of Plug N Play carts which are integrated/jigged to a headshell precluding any need for alignment. Look into Ortofon 2M PNP's. A cart from the Ortofon 2M PNP series will get you the Technics alignment scheme precisely. You will only need to adjust vertical tracking angle. The Ortofon 2M Blue is a very attractive cart in this series for folks who want distortion free CD like sound.
thHXNWCMAP.jpg

Last edited:
S

sterling shoote

OP, I did not take the Ortofon PNP route since I had a cartridge on hand, a 15mm tall Shure V15V-MR. This cartridge required a 2mm shim to make it compatible with my Technics SL-1210GR's VTR adjustment feature. Your M44 will not require a shim when used on older SL-1200's which have a 6mm thick rubber platter mat. The newer G and GR models have a 3mm mat and thus require carts at least 17mm tall to preclude shimming.
44198606700_d08cb02a51_z.jpg
need for s

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Since you bought a DJ cart, I assume you need/like those. If that's the case, Ortofon Concorde is precisely as long as needed for the correct overhang - the usual Technics' 52mm - and they were made as such to skip overhang adjustment when changing carts. Some of those Concordes are recommended for home audio (40 Anniversary) and can be considerably improved by choosing a better stylus. I combined Concorde with OM5E and got astounding results. I sent an e-mail to Ortofon about this and first the frontline help desk said that this cart and stylus shouldn't be combined, but I insisted and after a few days got an e-mail from someone more knowledgeable who said that the results are indeed far better than he'd thought and just said that bc of compliance and relatively heavy Concorde cart, one shoudn't go beyond OM10 in these matchings.

OP, I did not take the Ortofon PNP route since I had a cartridge on hand, a 15mm tall Shure V15V-MR. This cartridge required a 2mm shim to make it compatible with my Technics SL-1210GR's VTR adjustment feature. Your M44 will not require a shim when used on older SL-1200's which have a 6mm thick rubber platter mat. The newer G and GR models have a 3mm mat and thus require carts at least 17mm tall to preclude shimming.need for s
Don't tell me G and GR don't have the tone-arm height adjustment? Anyway, if M44 was bought bc of price Ortofon PnP Blue would exceed the budget several folds (at least that's the case in my parts).

S

sterling shoote

Since you bought a DJ cart, I assume you need/like those. If that's the case, Ortofon Concorde is precisely as long as needed for the correct overhang - the usual Technics' 52mm - and they were made as such to skip overhang adjustment when changing carts. Some of those Concordes are recommended for home audio (40 Anniversary) and can be considerably improved by choosing a better stylus. I combined Concorde with OM5E and got astounding results. I sent an e-mail to Ortofon about this and first the frontline help desk said that this cart and stylus shouldn't be combined, but I insisted and after a few days got an e-mail from someone more knowledgeable who said that the results are indeed far better than he'd thought and just said that bc of compliance and relatively heavy Concorde cart, one shoudn't go beyond OM10 in these matchings.

Don't tell me G and GR don't have the tone-arm height adjustment? Anyway, if M44 was bought bc of price Ortofon PnP Blue would exceed the budget several folds (at least that's the case in my parts).
You might want to read my post again, since I did not say that the G and GR did not have a VTA feature. The G and GR have a 3mm mat, not 6mm mat of earlier models; thus, an M44 will need a 2mm shim to work on a G or GR whereby the VTA feature will be set at ZERO. At any rate, we do not know what version of the 1200 the OP has, may be an earlier version with 6mm mat and thus no need to shim an M44; but, whatever version, it's clear the OP is too inept to glean any information from any here that he could use to get satisfaction from his turntable. After all, the guy appears to not have even had a thought about just downloading the manual. Also, have you seen the market price of M44's these days, 30% higher than the cost of an Ortofon 2M Blue. It's a wonder that anyone would want one even for DJ use. And one more thing, the OP made 3 responses to his initial post before anyone came to his aid. Reading those posts makes me regret posting any advise because it appears I was responding to someone who was drunk or high, not deserving the steam off my piss.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You might want to read my post again, since I did not say that the G and GR did not have a VTA feature. The G and GR have a 3mm mat, not 6mm mat of earlier models; thus, an M44 will need a 2mm shim to work on a G or GR whereby the VTA feature will be set at ZERO. At any rate, we do not know what version of the 1200 the OP has, may be an earlier version with 6mm mat and thus no need to shim an M44; but, whatever version, it's clear the OP is too inept to glean any information from any here that he could use to get satisfaction from his turntable. After all, the guy appears to not have even had a thought about just downloading the manual. Also, have you seen the market price of M44's these days, 30% higher than the cost of an Ortofon 2M Blue. It's a wonder that anyone would want one even for DJ use. And one more thing, the OP made 3 responses to his initial post before anyone came to his aid. Reading those posts makes me regret posting any advise because it appears I was responding to someone who was drunk or high, not deserving the steam off my piss.
I guess he (the shooter) must have blocked me and my responses.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis