B&W DM604 S3 tweeter replacement

T

Tim J

Audiophyte
Could anyone recommend an option to replace a tweeter on these speakers? I’m located in Australia and can’t seem to get a genuine replacement at all, nor one on eBay anywhere. I’d like to be able to just unplug the tweeter and swap it over.

Thanks in advance

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
That’s a proprietary tweeter, you aren’t going to find anything “off the shelf” like it with that oval housing. Your best bet would be to snag a used bookshelf version of that speaker (will be much cheaper than the floor-stander) and harvest the tweeter from it.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

T

Tim J

Audiophyte
Thanks Wayne, I had a feeling I would be told that.

I have a spare LCR60 S3 (which was originally the rear for a 6.1) that has a perfectly working tweeter in it. I’ve taken it out but unfortunately it’s a little bit different, but it will fit in place. Will this be ok or will it make the 2 front speakers I have uneven due to the different tweeter?

mill out a photo of the 2. The larger of the 2 is from the spare centre speaker I have.

thanks again for your reply.
8E20BBA1-6A2B-4664-927A-3D7FD70676D5.jpeg

That’s a proprietary tweeter, you aren’t going to find anything “off the shelf” like it with that oval housing. Your best bet would be to snag a used bookshelf version of that speaker (will be much cheaper than the floor-stander) and harvest the tweeter from it.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

I have a spare LCR60 S3 (which was originally the rear for a 6.1) that has a perfectly working tweeter in it. I’ve taken it out but unfortunately it’s a little bit different, but it will fit in place. Will this be ok or will it make the 2 front speakers I have uneven due to the different tweeter?

mill out a photo of the 2. The larger of the 2 is from the spare centre speaker I have.

View attachment 34689
It is possible they are the same tweeter. It may just be that the one on the left has a magnet shield so as not to cause trouble with old CRT displays.

You should try it and see if they sound the same. If a driver blows unless you replace it with an exact replacement it does not sound the same. So unless you are lucky generally a blown unavailable driver is the end of the road for that speaker, unless you have the skill and equipment to re engineer it it.

T

Tim J

Audiophyte

View attachment 34689
Actually I don’t think it will physically fit in due to the casing it’s in

T

Tim J

Audiophyte
It is possible they are the same tweeter. It may just be that the one on the left has a magnet shield so as not to cause trouble with old CRT displays.

You should try it and see if they sound the same. If a driver blows unless you replace it with an exact replacement it does not sound the same. So unless you are lucky generally a blown unavailable driver is the end of the road for that speaker, unless you have the skill and equipment to re engineer it it.
they sound identical, but it’s just the size.Is the magnet something that I can remove easily?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
they sound identical, but it’s just the size.Is the magnet something that I can remove easily?
In that case you should be able to remove the magnet shield. If not you will have to enlarge the hole.

T

Tim J

Audiophyte
In that case you should be able to remove the magnet shield. If not you will have to enlarge the hole.
It’s all fixed! I’m down a (spare) centre speaker that I wasn’t going to use anyway, but the main speakers I wanted are working great! I know nothing about this stuff, but I just removed the front part of the tweeter and changed them over, so no need to do anything with the magnet.

Thanks for your help and advice.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Could anyone recommend an option to replace a tweeter on these speakers? I’m located in Australia and can’t seem to get a genuine replacement at all, nor one on eBay anywhere. I’d like to be able to just unplug the tweeter and swap it over.

Thanks in advance
That's a tough find...I'm surprised you haven't been able to get a new tweeter from B&W.

I have a pair of matrix era 804 floor standers and replaced the tweeter in one about 10-12 yrs ago...I went through a dealer initially, but iirc I ended up buying it from B&W directly.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
It’s all fixed! I’m down a (spare) centre speaker that I wasn’t going to use anyway, but the main speakers I wanted are working great! I know nothing about this stuff, but I just removed the front part of the tweeter and changed them over, so no need to do anything with the magnet.

Thanks for your help and advice.
That's awesome! It's not often a situation like this pans out. You definitely got lucky.

Curious, after you removed the shield were they pretty much identical? Same size magnet, etc?

T

Tim J

Audiophyte
That's awesome! It's not often a situation like this pans out. You definitely got lucky.

Curious, after you removed the shield were they pretty much identical? Same size magnet, etc?
I actually didn’t do that. I just removed the front part and swapped that over. I’d love to tell you more precisely, but I just know absolutely nothing about speakers. The front part (the cream part where the cable plugs in) was 3 tiny screws, so just took that off, swapped them and they work fine. It seemed impossible to get the magnet off, so now the one with the magnet no longer works, but it was a spare anyway. Hopefully what I’ve done wasn’t a really bad thing to do, but it seems to have fixed my problem

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I actually didn’t do that. I just removed the front part and swapped that over. I’d love to tell you more precisely, but I just know absolutely nothing about speakers. The front part (the cream part where the cable plugs in) was 3 tiny screws, so just took that off, swapped them and they work fine. It seemed impossible to get the magnet off, so now the one with the magnet no longer works, but it was a spare anyway. Hopefully what I’ve done wasn’t a really bad thing to do, but it seems to have fixed my problem
I see. I was just curious. I don't see how anything you did could be a really bad thing. I'm pretty sure your worse case scenario would be that it doesn't sound the same as the original. At least you didn't have to deface your speaker to make something fit and discover it wouldn't work. The fact that it fits is a good sign in either case. If it sounds good to you now then you did it right! Spare speakers for the win!

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis