Dyn Special 40 Center Chanel

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
Not in a position to buy right now but if I decide to add a center speaker I think this looks good but asking for opinions.

Totem Model 1 Signature? A single Special 40 would probably be best but the Totem looks like an almost exact figure, am I right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Not in a position to buy right now but if I decide to add a center speaker I think this looks good but asking for opinions.

Totem Model 1 Signature? A single Special 40 would probably be best but the Totem looks like an almost exact figure, am I right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
No you are not right. Totem speakers I know as Needle Doctor has them. To me Totem speakers sound pretty good but never quite right and sound as if they need more work. The designer is a bit like Trump and anti science and believes in tuning his speakers by ear, the crossovers anyway. Those Totem speakers have significant audible aberrations in my view.

I have not heard those Dynaudios but they measure better. I suspect they sound better. However those Dynaudios are a difficult load, and we recently had a member say those speakers would send his receiver into protection. With the lousy amps in the current crop of receivers I can understand why. Any decent amp should drive the Dynaudio 40s fine. If you go that route then be prepared to have to use external amplification.

I know Dynaudio and the related Morel drivers well. They are a little difficult to design for, but it is possible to make them a more reasonable load. However, having said that my new in wall three way center I think would likely be a receiver destroyer, but the left and right two way mains using these drivers probably would not be. I don't have to worry about that, as I do not use receivers to power speakers and never would.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis