Klipsch RP-160m placement

killbill13

killbill13

Full Audioholic
least give us some credit for consistency!
Well, no, you are more surgical that time. ;) İ give you credit for helping
Also you found the problem of the current speakers, this 110hz problem. İ didnt know and its a new clue.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
check the klipsch RP-160m. They have better sensitivity. also i have a promotion with the current model.
that svs speakers is double price.

or this. But it will be in the corner with 5cm from left wall.and 12-13 frpm rear wall
Yes, I already commented on that. I think the RP160s will definitely be a noticeable step up from what you have. They're nice speakers for the price. They will have some more bass too. I know the Ultras are on the pricey side for you. They're just a better case scenario. They'd be a nice step up from the RP160.

As far as it being in that corner it doesn't matter (with very few esoteric or compromised exceptions) what speaker you buy. If you stick it in a corner like that it's not going to sound the way it was designed to.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Well, no, you are more surgical that time. ;)
Also you found the problem of the current speakers, this 110hz problem. İ didnt know and its a new clue.
Don't make me go through that thread and start pulling up quotes! Number one thing I said in the last thread was what you should do first is position your speakers better and get a better subwoofer. What was the first thing I said in this thread?

Just so I'm clear, you need to work on your speaker positioning and get a better subwoofer. Bass is at the crux of your problem. You brought it up in the last thread and you're bringing it up here. Getting new speakers may help with midrange and clarity but not your bass. Get a better subwoofer.

killbill13

killbill13

Full Audioholic
Just so I'm clear, you need to work on your speaker positioning
Nothing i can do on that. The only place is there. They are already too close the two speakers. The right speaker will go on a base, the other, the Left i think no, it will stay on furniture. (İf i put base there it will come close to wall)
one spealer on base is this ok? And left stays in the place u ser now and you dont like.
i cant push the tv, it comes forward if i do. And makes statics to sound

when i first bought them, i placed left speaker more left from that you see now, the more left i could. believe it or not, sometimes i was hearing a small echo! Like caves. Unbeliavable

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Nothing i can do on that. The only place is there. They are already too close berween them. The right speaker will go on a base, the other, the Left i think no, it will stay on furniture.
one spealer on base is this ok? And left stays in the place u ser now and you dont like.

when i first bought them, i placed left speaker more left from that you see now, the more left i could. believe it or not, sometimes i was hearing a small echo! Like caves. Unbeliavable
Well then I'd say we're right back to where we were at the end of your last thread. You gotta change something. We can't convince your current subwoofer and speakers to sound any better than they are... especially if you're going to insist on partially handicapping them with the setup.

killbill13

killbill13

Full Audioholic
Well then I'd say we're right back to where we were at the end of your last thread. You gotta change something. We can't convince your current subwoofer and speakers to sound any better than they are... especially if you're going to insist on partially handicapping them with the setup.
So it means dont buy anything all will sound the same? Crippled?
say me anything and i will do it! About placrment

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
say me anything and i will do it!
I'm saying you are crippling your setup with bad speaker placement right now, yes. Also, what you have now could be better. Better subwoofer and better speakers. So think about it. The speakers and subwoofer aren't as good as you'd hoped. PLUS you're stuffing them in a corner which will make them sound worse.

I think a better subwoofer would be the biggest improvement that you would hear the most, given your specific situation. Especially if you put it in a good spot and give Audyssey a chance by taking careful measurements. So... subwoofer!

After that better speaker placement and better speakers. I think the RP160s are nice and I think you will like them. They will most likely sound better than what you have, but still be handicapped by placement and you will still be dissatisfied with your bass if you get them first.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
@killbill13 did you intend to rate my last post "dumb"? I have a few "dumb" ratings on my profile already. I might have even earned one or two of them, but I'm not seeing it here...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Well poop. I guess I'm just gonna have to learn how to cope with being dumb.

I should go shopping for expensive cables. It's completely justified now.

killbill13

killbill13

Full Audioholic
@killbill13 did you intend to rate my last post "dumb"? I have a few "dumb" ratings on my profile already. I might have even earned one or two of them, but I'm not seeing it here...
I put a box. I thought its a subwoofer. İ didnt mean to rate dump. How a brown box is a dump

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
say me anything and i will do it! About placrment
I gave you my suggestions for what to do! Move that whole entertainment stand as far right as you can, there's some room there before the doorway. That will really help with giving your left speaker more room.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I put a box. I thought its a subwoofer. İ didnt mean to rate dump. How a brown box is a dump
Ah, okay! I didn't think I deserved a dumb rating that time!

I don't know why the box is dumb, but it is. That's what it means.

killbill13

killbill13

Full Audioholic
What I discovered is that the amplification front end can make a huge difference in sound quality and imaging.
Can you provide some links? To find out what i need to buy in the future. Marantz 5013 here.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Can you provide some links? To find out what i need to buy in the future. Marantz 5013 here.
I doubt you'll find any links that aren't completely subjective.

If you come across enough money to buy a higher end receiver I think you'll be much, much further ahead spending it on better speakers.

killbill13

killbill13

Full Audioholic
I doubt you'll find any links that aren't completely subjective.

If you come across enough money to buy a higher end receiver I think you'll be much, much further ahead spending it on better speakers.
sell marantz and take something else ? Or add something to marantz

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
sell marantz and take something else ? Or add something to marantz
No... don't sell your Marantz. It's a decent receiver.

I'm saying if you come up with enough money to spend on something new for your system, speakers should be next. That is your new mission now. You should start saving and shopping right now!

killbill13

killbill13

Full Audioholic
Where is this negative emotions guide, i will have to read it.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I just read through this thread.
Room treatments? That's a giant sinkhole for money and for the average person, not much of a return.
I completely agree with all of Bucknekked's post; however, given that you seem to be stuck with the layout you currently have, I think treatments may be a valid option. You can do some options that are not too expensive like make a fake window on the wall to the left of your left speaker by mounting a curtain rod and a heavy drapery to help absorb the first reflection off of that wall. That will better balance it with the open space to the right of your right speaker. The other thing I would do is pull your sofa 2-3' out from the back wall. Generally having your ears close to a wall will amplify the bass (which may not be a problem since you don't have much) and result in reflections off the walls hitting your ears close to the same time as the sound coming straight from your speakers arrives. This tends to blurr the resolution of the speaker. The delay from the sound travelling round-trip to the wall behind you and back (at least 2 feet away and preferably 3') allows your mind to filter it out as a reflection rather than part of the actual signal. If nothing else, test this by putting a chair out in your room and seeing what difference in sound you can detect.
If you absolutely cannot pull the sofa out from the wall, then using some sort of sound absorbent material (like the heavy drapery) on the wall behind you will help reducer the effect of this reflection.

However, the advice you have here is solid. I say get a subwoofer first and see what that does for your speakers. Then comes speakers.

Also, as advised, don't put money into electronics unless what you have is broken. I won't say that there is no way you would ever hear a difference if you changed electronics, but I will say that among major brands they are well designed (and have been for the last 50 years!).
The potential for improving your sound through electronics is minimal compared to changing speakers! Every speaker designer will tell you that they are forced to go through a series of compromises in sound quality to end up with their final product (at least among their peers). For example a 2-way speaker has the disadvantage of having the crossover (almost always a source of some discontinuity in the FR) in the frequency range that our hearing is most sensitive (so requires an excellent crossover to be accurate). On the other hand, a three way has the issue of costing a good deal more (assuming the same quality of drivers) and adds a second crossover.
Ultimately the difference between speakers is huge compared to the difference between electronics.
I would not look at electronics until I had listened to many many speakers and was convinced that I had the speakers I liked best ... and even then I would not look at electronics unless I had money to burn!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis