What Floor Speakers work with my receiver?

joyalan

joyalan

Audiophyte
I have an older receiver (Yamaha R-V1105) and I am trying to buy some new floor speakers to use with them in a 5.1 setup but also stereo for music listening. The receiver specifications for the Main Speaker outputs are as follow -

Minimum RMS Output Power Per Channel 85W + 85W (8Ohms) RMS Output Power, 0.04% THD, 20-20,000HZ
Dynamic Power Per Channel (by IHF Dynamic Headroom Measuring Method)
MAIN L/R (8 ohms/6 ohms/4 ohms/2 ohms)
Respectively 115W/140W/170W/200W

I've been trying to read up on power requirements for speakers to help me understand what I should look for but I haven't read anything that has cleared it up for me.

My budget for the pair is ~300

Any help in figuring out what would work would be much appreciated, thank you!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Boy, that looks like a solid old receiver. Rated to 2 ohms! You don't see that very often in a multi channel receiver anymore, lol.

These DCM TFE100s have been garnering some high praise from a few members here who took advantage of some recent deep discounts to this line. I see the price has gone up a bit, but they're still a good price for some very nice sounding speakers.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Boy, that looks like a solid old receiver. Rated to 2 ohms! You don't see that very often in a multi channel receiver anymore, lol.

These DCM TFE100s have been garnering some high praise from a few members here who took advantage of some recent deep discounts to this line. I see the price has gone up a bit, but they're still a good price for some very nice sounding speakers.

OTOH the dynamic power ratings are somewhat nebulous/undefined.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You mean the 2 ohm rating? As in a bit optimistic? That is a tough load for even beefy amps.
I have similar dynamic ratings on a couple avrs....I just don't think they tell you a whole lot except that for an instant they can possibly cope at high levels? What does your manual indicate for your unit? Still, overall with most avrs they're not low impedance monsters, and a speaker that dips to 2ohm probably not a great idea.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
My budget for the pair is ~300

Any help in figuring out what would work would be much appreciated, thank you!
DCM TFE100 speakers is what you should aim for

DCM TP260 speakers can work for you

joyalan

joyalan

Audiophyte
Thank you everyone for the replies, it seems like there is a general consensus for the DCM TFE100 speakers from Ebay so I will look into those.

Really appreciate your time in helping to answer my question!

Hench4Life

Hench4Life

Junior Audioholic
Dynamic Power Per Channel
(by IHF Dynamic Headroom Measuring Method)
MAIN L/R (8 ohms/6 ohms/4 ohms/2 ohms)
(When both channels are driven)
..................................115W/140W/170W/200W
Seems fairly solid to me. I can't think of too many modern speakers that are as unstable and presenting whacky loads as something like old Quads. I'll be interested to see some folks grabbing up these DCM's. Some guy on YT reviewed the bookshelves, they looked fairly well stuck together for being almost free!

AVUser001

AVUser001

Full Audioholic
I'd pick the speakers first and then look at AVR/Amp that can drive them;-)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis