When the wife's away the music will play!

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Ah, we won't be drinking it all! lol

I do love me some tequila too and I make a mean margarita. I usually use Milagro silver for my margaritas, but they also have a really good one for sipping, their select reserve anejo.
Now, you've gotten me started.

Both Milagros you mentioned are good pricepoint tequlias...interesting that even with the caramel and vanilla from the barrel time, the anejo has more agave flavor than the blanco.

These are roller pressed tequilas...I steer more towards the Tahoma wheel pressed agave...old school production methods but in blind tasting more people picked tequilas using this method of getting the juice out.

If you haven't tried this one...it's in a similar pricepoint to Milagros, but tahoma wheel production.

Siete Leguas...the whole line, blanco, repo, anejo are all good and reasonably priced.

I'm a little bit of a tequila aficionado...I'm primarily a sipper, wife likes marguaritas so I worked on my game. I've had many of the top shelf tequilas...Don Julio 1942, Gran Patron, Cascahuin, Ocho Tequila, among others.

My goto brand is Fortaleza...estate grown agave, no additives, tahoma stone production, fraction of the price of Gran Patron...the good Patron tequila.

I always thought blancos were for mixing, repo, anejo for sipping. This blanco changed my way of thinking.

Fortaleza blanco...some spice heat as any good tequila should have but very little alcohol burn. Very smooth. I stock the 40 abv and the still strength which I think is 46 abv. This will be among the best blancos you will drink.

Fortaleza Anejo.. this is my sipper...the perfect blend of agave and barrel...imo, better than 1942...distribution is not as developed as some others but it's growing....it's not cheap, $80 750ml but as a sipper it holds it's own against Gran Patron Piedra ($300 750ml) and with my top shelf scotch Glenmorangie 18 yr ($110 750ml).

I did a comparison review of the famed Don Julio 1942 and Fortaleza Anejo...this was a pic

1583576001286.png

Part of this comparison was my good friend and tequila lover, we did a blind taste test with him....he liked them both, but also preferred Fortaleza's balance of agave and barrel effect.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Tequila tastes like ass, but somehow it's one of the easier ones to shoot for me.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Tequila tastes like ass, but somehow it's one of the easier ones to shoot for me.
Nah, good tequila is amazing! I've got to check out some of this Fortaleza that 2channel is talking about.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
So we ended up listening to music for a good 4-5 hours last night. Everything from Tool, to NIN, to Alice in Chains, Meg Myers, Manson, Dream Theater, a bunch of industrial too, Korpiklaani, The HU, and I can't remember what else. Was a really fun night. He had never really heard a halfway decent system before and it kinda blew him away. He is going to take my Bostons when I get my Salks. He asked what I wanted for them, I told him to just give me a nice bottle of bourbon when the time comes.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
So we ended up listening to music for a good 4-5 hours last night. Everything from Tool, to NIN, to Alice in Chains, Meg Myers, Manson, Dream Theater, a bunch of industrial too, Korpiklaani, The HU, and I can't remember what else. Was a really fun night. He had never really heard a halfway decent system before and it kinda blew him away. He is going to take my Bostons when I get my Salks. He asked what I wanted for them, I told him to just give me a nice bottle of bourbon when the time comes.
There’s something to be said for handing down your gear to a friend. I’ve been known to “share” when I can. Like the time I traded an sb2k for a Polk 505. I’ll just say he needed it more than I did, and had a small room to put it in. Point is, when you have friends that actually appreciate quality gear and sound, it’s like the teaching a man to fish thing I guess. I’m reminded of a RHCP lyric from”the other side”, once you know you can never go back...
Sounds like you guys had a great time.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
There’s something to be said for handing down your gear to a friend. I’ve been known to “share” when I can. Like the time I traded an sb2k for a Polk 505. I’ll just say he needed it more than I did, and had a small room to put it in. Point is, when you have friends that actually appreciate quality gear and sound, it’s like the teaching a man to fish thing I guess. I’m reminded of a RHCP lyric from”the other side”, once you know you can never go back...
Sounds like you guys had a great time.
Oh yeah, we had a blast. He was really amazed listening to Disturbed's Sound of Silence and all the NIN stuff. He was familiar with the Disturbed song, but had never listened to much NIN before. He added a lot of artists to his playlists and I added a few as well, so that was definitely nice!

I initially told him I didn't want anything for him, since he just recently finished school and is only working as a postdoc (plus, they're 20 years old!) , but he insisted that he get me something, so I said a bottle of bourbon would be more than enough! I'm happy to pass down my equipment to someone who will enjoy it as much as I have!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I would enjoy your hand me downs as much as you have. You have nice hand me downs, lol. Let me know when you upgrade from the Salks... :p

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Dammit, man! I’ve been dry since 1/2: all this chittering about bourbon... aaarrrrgghhh!
:p
;)
I’m a whiskey man. Love me some good rye and bourbon. I wish the California whiskeys were a little better than they are, but I hold out hope they’ll come along soon.
Don’t mind tequila at all, but if I’m gonna drink some it needs to be a legit Anejo or a unique mezcal. Fidencio puts out some nice pechuga... you know, where they hang a dead animal above the cooking mash.
For me it all started with some good scotch, back before the shortage happened. Even the good stuff was still bordering on affordable and I got to play and learn a lot. 30 yr Talisker, 15 Yr Laphraoig, 18 yr Ardbeg...fu¢kin droolin right now! ;)
I'm letting this run its course organically: I will drink again, just a matter of when.
The Lady wanted to do Dry January, then because she had this yoga practice that stressed the importance of 40 days, I talked her into shooting for 40. She bailed at 37. My goal is 60-90. :)

Cheers!

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Dammit, man! I’ve been dry since 1/2: all this chittering about bourbon... aaarrrrgghhh!
:p
;)
I’m a whiskey man. Love me some good rye and bourbon. I wish the California whiskeys were a little better than they are, but I hold out hope they’ll come along soon.
Don’t mind tequila at all, but if I’m gonna drink some it needs to be a legit Anejo or a unique mezcal. Fidencio puts out some nice pechuga... you know, where they hang a dead animal above the cooking mash.
For me it all started with some good scotch, back before the shortage happened. Even the good stuff was still bordering on affordable and I got to play and learn a lot. 30 yr Talisker, 15 Yr Laphraoig, 18 yr Ardbeg...fu¢kin droolin right now! ;)
I'm letting this run its course organically: I will drink again, just a matter of when.
The Lady wanted to do Dry January, then because she had this yoga practice that stressed the importance of 40 days, I talked her into shooting for 40. She bailed at 37. My goal is 60-90. :)

Cheers!

Good luck! I've only recently gotten into bourbons. Have not acquired the taste for scotch yet.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
When I'm away my wife puts on country music and cranks it up, lol. I don't complain, I'm just happy she gets some enjoyment from it too since the growing process started out a bit painfully for her. She's really come around tho. She loves the whole system and even watched gene's review of our amp with me! o_O
I dated a gal who's husband had passed away. He had put a pretty nice HT in his basement man-cave (Monitor Audio Silver mains) which she really did not have much involvement with, but after his demise, she came to realize it was great for inviting her girl friends over and sipping wine while watching a DVD of the Eagles, Journey, etc.
She realized that once the kids left the house, she could have been enjoying it thusly while he was alive, just never thought about it!

2channel lover

When you said shoot...I knew we were probably talking about something all together different.

Yes, I survived the salt, lime, shot days of cheap tequila. The stuff I drink is 100% agave...you sip it, like you would a fine scotch.

Something widely available, moderately priced and is a good transition from a bourbon or scotch drinker to tequila...Casa Noble...anejo.

The bourbon industry requires new batches to be stored in new barrels...so there are a lot of used bourbon barrels on the market...almost all aged tequilas are aged in ex bourbon barrels. Some scotch distilleries use ex bourbon barrels also.

Scotch is graded by age maybe more than any other spirit, they even market them by age . Aged tequilas are named reposado ( up to a yr) , anejo (13 mos to 2yrs) , extra anejo (25 mos to 3+). Casa Noble tends to take each class to the maximum barrel time yet retaining some level of the agave base.

If you try Casa Noble anejo (neat or on the rocks) and think it tastes like ass...I'll buy the bottle.

2channel lover

Good luck! I've only recently gotten into bourbons. Have not acquired the taste for scotch yet.
5 yrs ago, my liquor cabinet had whatever rum we brought back from St Criox...What started me on this path of good liquor. I went to a golf buddies house after a round, watching some football drinking a beer...he said I want to taste something.

Sure...McCallan 25 yr...I'd never had any scotch that I could recall. This was the smoothest liquor I'd ever tasted...to date.

He says be bought it duty free from Jamaica for $600/750ml...if so, he go t great deal.

I've had the 18 yr at a bar...the Glenmorganie 18 is also sherry cask and a lot less than McCallan...bought a bottle of the Glenmoranangie 18 ($115/750ml)...neither are quite as smooth as the 25 yr McC, but you won't offend any fine scotch drinker if you pull this out.

I'm not really a scotch drinker either, but my buddy inspired my to up my game on the liquor cabinet overall so I did some research and some samples...Glenfarlcas 12 yr is a good entry level scotch...sherry cask the last 2 yrs so it's smoother than most 10 yr old...not the finish of the 18 yr Glenmorangie, but it's more affordable.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
5 yrs ago, my liquor cabinet had whatever rum we brought back from St Criox...What started me on this path of good liquor. I went to a golf buddies house after a round, watching some football drinking a beer...he said I want to taste something.

Sure...McCallan 25 yr...I'd never had any scotch that I could recall. This was the smoothest liquor I'd ever tasted...to date.

He says be bought it duty free from Jamaica for $600/750ml...if so, he go t great deal.

I've had the 18 yr at a bar...the Glenmorganie 18 is also sherry cask and a lot less than McCallan...bought a bottle of the Glenmoranangie 18 ($115/750ml)...neither are quite as smooth as the 25 yr McC, but you won't offend any fine scotch drinker if you pull this out.

I'm not really a scotch drinker either, but my buddy inspired my to up my game on the liquor cabinet overall so I did some research and some samples...Glenfarlcas 12 yr is a good entry level scotch...sherry cask the last 2 yrs so it's smoother than most 10 yr old...not the finish of the 18 yr Glenmorangie, but it's more affordable.
Yeah, those are all a bit more than I'd spend for my liquor. I usually spend around $40/bottle on my bourbons. If I want to be extra I'll go up to $80 for something special. Just finished a 15 year old IW Harper bourbon that I had bought about a year ago. That was really nice.

2channel lover

Yeah, those are all a bit more than I'd spend for my liquor. I usually spend around $40/bottle on my bourbons. If I want to be extra I'll go up to $80 for something special. Just finished a 15 year old IW Harper bourbon that I had bought about a year ago. That was really nice.
I can't justify it either.

For my liquor cabinet, I aimed for a top shelf and a every day type bottle for each spirit. $100 or thereabouts is normally my threshold for a top shelf bottle. Most others are around
$30- $40 or so. Aside from the Fortaleza Anejo, which I go thru 3 or 4 bottles a yr. Bourbon, scotch, rum, vodka, etc...I don't drink any of those on a regular basis if at all.

Nothing like IW Harper I'm sure...4 Roses Single Barrel is probably the best bourbon I have and I've yet to break the seal on it in 2 years.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis