Setting dual REL T/9i subwoofer XO to match my Full range floor standing Speakers that go down to 28HZ

A_Shah

A_Shah

Enthusiast
Atten: Gene
I recently decided to get dual Rel Subs T/9i for my 2 channel listening ,had to get Dual as I have QuickSilver tube mono blocks.
In order to take advantage of the Rel's high level connections , The problem is that my Towers with dual 8" woofers go down cleanly to 28HZ the T/9i also go down to 28hZ, is that an overlap or should I get subs that go down to 20 HZ set the XO to say between 25 to 30 HZ some suggest that the XO should be set 8 to 10 HZ higher ? Rel' T/9i seem to blend very well and sound very good give me the slight Bass oomph I need ? plus they have class A/B amps that I like. I wonder if Gene could chime in on this I have seen all his videos but not sure of what his views are on Rel high level connections for subwoofer , I know this not for HT but for 2 channel listening

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just depends on what sub capabilities you want, don't know what your speakers are but it wouldn't surprise me the Rel isn't that much more capable, but certainly seems if each has an f3 of 28hz then you're going to do mostly overlapping rather than "blending". Maybe that's fine for your room/speakers/use, hard to know.

B

Bernie Williams

Junior Audioholic
A also have the t/9i and have them connected with Legacy Audio focus SE's. My XO is 40 HZ. Despite the disparity in "specifications" (technically the SE's go lower) I feel that the REL's gave that "slight Bass oomph" that I wanted. I also like their small form factor. Personally I trust my ears first.

A_Shah

A_Shah

Enthusiast
@lovinthehd @Bernie Williams
thank you for your insight , My Speakers are the Daedalus Poseidon MTM , I use two QuickSilver mono block 60 tube amps that were custom made After Discussing with REL and others (AudioCircle members) I decided to send back the pair of T/9i and it was agreed upon that the best option for me would be a pair of REL S/812 "OUCH ! "I have set them up at 25 HZ as suggested by the maker of the speakers and REL since I was concentrating on frequencies between 25 HZ and 30 HZ This has bought my 2 channel listen to a different level very 3 D Holographic crisp , clear . I don't think I will ever go back to a single sub system I also have a separate 5.1 channel system in the same room the only thing that both systems share is the OPPO 205 , now I have a 3 year old VTF 15 up for sale unfortunately I threw the box away a couple of months ago so it has to be local to San Francisco -East Bay area- Sacramento area

K

kini

Full Audioholic
@lovinthehd @Bernie Williams
thank you for your insight , My Speakers are the Daedalus Poseidon MTM , I use two QuickSilver mono block 60 tube amps that were custom made After Discussing with REL and others (AudioCircle members) I decided to send back the pair of T/9i and it was agreed upon that the best option for me would be a pair of REL S/812 "OUCH ! "I have set them up at 25 HZ as suggested by the maker of the speakers and REL since I was concentrating on frequencies between 25 HZ and 30 HZ This has bought my 2 channel listen to a different level very 3 D Holographic crisp , clear . I don't think I will ever go back to a single sub system I also have a separate 5.1 channel system in the same room the only thing that both systems share is the OPPO 205 , now I have a 3 year old VTF 15 up for sale unfortunately I threw the box away a couple of months ago so it has to be local to San Francisco -East Bay area- Sacramento area
Just checked out your speakers, wow, really nice. IMO those REL subs are going to get lost or be audibly invisible given how efficient and dynamic your speakers are. You speakers also actually have lower and flatter response being only -2db at 28hz.

Maybe take a look at REL's HT line at least the 12" and 15" models. I would expect them to sound just as good as their other models.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just checked out your speakers, wow, really nice. IMO those REL subs are going to get lost or be audibly invisible given how efficient and dynamic your speakers are. You speakers also actually have lower and flatter response being only -2db at 28hz.

Maybe take a look at REL's HT line at least the 12" and 15" models. I would expect them to sound just as good as their other models.
Or just other subs. Lots more out there aside from Rel which tends to be underperforming and overpriced....

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Man, I’ve never heard of those speaker but wow, they are gorgeous, absolutely gorgeous. Academically speaking, I can’t imagine what a little REL subwoofer could offer those speakers.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis