MartinLogan Motion 60XT vs Revel Performa3 F206 vs Focal Aria 936 vs Focal Electra 1028

V

vavan

Audiophyte
the .2 is nicer to look at but has no advantages in sound. Uses the exact same parts
well, I've heard they used somewhat different drivers/materials in .2
and even 896.2 is significantly cheaper than f208s here

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I wonder what they mean by requires the right amplifier?
I was hoping to see a impedance phase angle chart, but they didn't have one. However they talked about that in the context of these speakers putting out lower base than is normal for the size of the driver. So my first thought was it is probably not an issue if you're going to cross to a sub but it's something definitely to keep an eye out for.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I was hoping to see a impedance phase angle chart, but they didn't have one. However they talked about that in the context of these speakers putting out lower base than is normal for the size of the driver. So my first thought was it is probably not an issue if you're going to cross to a sub but it's something definitely to keep an eye out for.
Well the 836 is 85db and the Ref 9.2 DC is actually a little more efficient at 87db so that’s what had me wondering what “with the right amp” really meant with the Anniversary 45 Books. My Yamaha RXA2060 hasn’t had any issues with my 836 pair.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Well the 836 is 85db and the Ref 9.2 DC is actually a little more efficient at 87db so that’s what had me wondering what “with the right amp” really meant with the Anniversary 45 Books. My Yamaha RXA2060 hasn’t had any issues with my 836 pair.
I really don't have enough history with LowBeats to know where they are coming from!
They typically do measurements, but in the case of the A45 BS, they only present a chart for "IM spectrum at 94dB", but no simple FR chart. This chart seems to show that the A45 BS is SPL/distortion limited!
I have not yet tried out their Oracle system for presenting the sound of the speakers they review to us, but it is an intriguing system that makes some sense.
A magazine like The Absolute Sound will make a statement like "these are special speakers and must, therefore, be paired with a special amp" just because the author thinks it reads well!

Ha! I did find an impedance chart for the A45 BS in their discussion of the Anniversary series family. They point out that the A45 BS has the lowest impedance at 4 Ohms due to the single woofer:

Here is link to article (again frustrated that they do not get more specific with measurements of the various models). I do wish that was my LR!

Last edited:
S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I really don't have enough history with LowBeats to know where they are coming from!
They typically do measurements, but in the case of the A45 BS, they only present a chart for "IM spectrum at 94dB", but no simple FR chart. This chart seems to show that the A45 BS is SPL/distortion limited!
I have not yet tried out their Oracle system for presenting the sound of the speakers they review to us, but it is an intriguing system that makes some sense.
A magazine like The Absolute Sound will make a statement like "these are special speakers and must, therefore, be paired with a special amp" just because the author thinks it reads well!

Ha! I did find an impedance chart for the A45 BS in their discussion of the Anniversary series family. They point out that the A45 BS has the lowest impedance at 4 Ohms due to the single woofer:

Here is link to article (again frustrated that they do not get more specific with measurements of the various models). I do wish that was my LR!
Ya 4ohms

Basically other than cabinet style, they say in this article the A45 series has the woofers from Reference series and the tweeter from Vento (and now SL Chrono “.2” series)

That makes me wonder what the difference is with the Reference (or Ref K) series tweeter. Is it improved?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Ya 4ohms

Basically other than cabinet style, they say in this article the A45 series has the woofers from Reference series and the tweeter from Vento (and now SL Chrono “.2” series)

That makes me wonder what the difference is with the Reference (or Ref K) series tweeter. Is it improved?
I don't know!
I had the impression that the A45 used the best drivers that Canton had, but I don't know if that is something I read from a legit source or if it is an inference I made somewhere along the way. Of course, the A45 was put in production ~3 years ago, so figure it was designed/spec'ed 4 years ago, so they may have introduced a "new & improved" tweeter for their reference models in that time.
I guess in 2022 they might come out with another "anniversary" model, I figure I'll wait and see and might have to see if I can get Mark (A4L) to get a pair of those on the boat if they do!

AVUser001

AVUser001

Full Audioholic
I have owned all these speakers except the ML. I went from Revel F208 to Dynaudio to the Focal Aria. The Aria in my opinion sounded best to me... Then I got the Canton's..... I am still going strong with the Canton's.. Love them.
They are the A45 Anniversary towers.
Cool.. One thing to keep in mind, is that the Focal Arias are just a step above their entry level Chorus/Chora speakers. As much I was impressed by the Arias, Focal Electra(which I gladly own now) took it up couple of notches with their Be tweeters and most pleasant bass. Focal has a huge line-up, with each improving on the other..,atleast thats been my experience listening to Focal Chorus to Aria to Electra. Have not heard the Kantas or Sopras..,but both the dealers told me, the Kanta is better than Electra..with improved IAL3 Beryllium tweeter..,but with Flax cone midrange as opposed to W sandwich cone in the Electra/Aria.

Think, Focal caught world attention, not with their lower end models, but with their Utopia line.. But hey, at $230K/pair, they better be magical. One thing for sure, they know how to make excellent speakers at a broad price range. Believe they made(still making?) some speaker drivers for another high-end focussed Wilson.

Timforhifi

Timforhifi

Full Audioholic
I’m not sure I’d get to caught up in a45, a55 or others in that line. In Europe they are placed below the vento line in the lineup.

Now I love the a45 and they are better than my 596.2 but not as good as 896. For some reason 596.2 I have has sharper sound and not as flat as the 896. Really my experience from testing with my own gear but I’d buy vento way before those. I think you can see online that a45 are around $3500 a pair msrp. A55 are little over $4000 a pair. 896.2 are $6500 a pair.

I just think we feel the need to want something we don’t have here. A55 with that bigger matching center that’s more similar to 866.2 would be fun and an upgrade from Chrono SL. Just a step behind vento still and I’m not sure or remember if tweeter is same on 596.2 and 896. They sure don’t sound the same.

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
Man, those Canton 896.2 DC keep going up at A4L! A month ago, they were at $1124, now at $1500. Let's hope Tim is right and the 896 DC are the same thing.

Timforhifi

Timforhifi

Full Audioholic
When I bought my 896 last July in black they were $1399 each. 896.2 in cherry was $1499 each. Mark even said the only reason for added cost is the cherry finish. I do have the 866.2 and 836.2 and they are very similar to 896. If they would of had 896.2 in black I would of gotten them though, but for the only reason of no chrome or silver at base. A nice black finish that looks a little odd with cherry.
EAA31D9A-6F35-485A-AC2D-45C423F3A68E.jpeg

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Did you also hear the 890.2 towers? Think those were going $899 each a couple years back. They likely had a lot in common with the 896. I wonder how low the 896 will get by next Dec. :)

Timforhifi

Timforhifi

Full Audioholic
Never had the 890.2 or heard them but I’m sure you’re right. I had the vento 890 in silver probably 10 plus years ago and remember loving them too. Tweeter was great on them but a tad sharper sounding.

Really canton have been making great speakers for years. Biggest upgrade has been in center speakers, surrounds and custom installation. The in wall or in ceiling from canton are absolutely incredible for the money. For $200-400 a pair they’ll hold their own or better bowers, monitor, Martin Logan, focal or kef for way less. For example I have some 3 way in ceiling from monitor audio in a couple rooms. They were around $1600 a pair. My canton in ceiling at $400 a pair are better.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Never had the 890.2 or heard them but I’m sure you’re right. I had the vento 890 in silver probably 10 plus years ago and remember loving them too. Tweeter was great on them but a tad sharper sounding.

Really canton have been making great speakers for years. Biggest upgrade has been in center speakers, surrounds and custom installation. The in wall or in ceiling from canton are absolutely incredible for the money. For $200-400 a pair they’ll hold their own or better bowers, monitor, Martin Logan, focal or kef for way less. For example I have some 3 way in ceiling from monitor audio in a couple rooms. They were around $1600 a pair. My canton in ceiling at $400 a pair are better.
You have four 969 or 989 in ceilings? How do they do with Atmos? Are you listening to much music upmixed in DSU or NeuralX? Or mostly movies/TV?

I was planning to install four RSL C34E. (Dual 4.5 drivers) for 5.1.4 for movies/TV. Maybe four 989 (Single 8in drivers) is another option.

Timforhifi

Timforhifi

Full Audioholic
You have four 969 or 989 in ceilings? How do they do with Atmos? Are you listening to much music upmixed in DSU or NeuralX? Or mostly movies/TV?

I was planning to install four RSL C34E. (Dual 4.5 drivers) for 5.1.4 for movies/TV. Maybe four 989 (Single 8in drivers) is another option.
I have a few different ones actually. Main room is 5.1.6 and I use 989 for 6 atmos. Another room I have the cheaper 865 and honestly they are just as good. I’d probably go with the cheaper option if I did it again. The 885 at $249 a pair is great option. The aluminum tweeters get a little sharper and have better detail, just work better for special effects. 865 would be fine too and get plenty loud with a full sound.

I only listen to music in 2ch but playing movies with great soundtracks the in ceiling really sound awesome.

I just wouldn’t go smaller than 6.5”

Rsl look nice too but imagine having in ceiling that sound as good as your other cantons. Just make sure your amp can handle a bunch of extra speakers that are all 4ohms.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I have a few different ones actually. Main room is 5.1.6 and I use 989 for 6 atmos. Another room I have the cheaper 865 and honestly they are just as good. I’d probably go with the cheaper option if I did it again. The 885 at $249 a pair is great option. The aluminum tweeters get a little sharper and have better detail, just work better for special effects. 865 would be fine too and get plenty loud with a full sound.

I only listen to music in 2ch but playing movies with great soundtracks the in ceiling really sound awesome.

I just wouldn’t go smaller than 6.5”

Rsl look nice too but imagine having in ceiling that sound as good as your other cantons. Just make sure your amp can handle a bunch of extra speakers that are all 4ohms.
Ya I probably will be able to avoid an external amp if I use the 4 RSL. My RXA2060 has 836 mains and 556.2 center and 516.2 surrounds. I have a Rythmik LVX12 sub. (I may buy 2nd or switch my pair of HSU VTF2 mk5 subs in there). I always listen to music in 2.1. Room is small. 16x17x8.5

I didn’t imagine using any ceiling speakers when I got the AVR but it supports the feature so want to set it up even if I need to add a amp. :)

Timforhifi

Timforhifi

Full Audioholic
you have crazy prices there. here pair of 896.2 is available for less than 4500 even without discount
Where are you located? It’s just the way it goes with importing and exporting products.

Blows me away what people pay for klipsch or Polk in other countries. Klipsch are ok but I wouldn’t pay $1000 for a pair of bookshelves.

Timforhifi

Timforhifi

Full Audioholic
Ya I probably will be able to avoid an external amp if I use the 4 RSL. My RXA2060 has 836 mains and 556.2 center and 516.2 surrounds. I have a Rythmik LVX12 sub. (I may buy 2nd or switch my pair of HSU VTF2 mk5 subs in there). I always listen to music in 2.1. Room is small. 16x17x8.5

I didn’t imagine using any ceiling speakers when I got the AVR but it supports the feature so want to set it up even if I need to add a amp. :)
I’d probably still get the canton in ceiling, the 556.2 and 516.2 don’t need a ton of power. The 865 in ceiling for example have higher power handling and dynamics than the 516.2 and match the 556.2.

In a theater room, setup correctly I’d bet an all canton in wall setup with a 866.2 center, would sound phenomenal. Might end up doing that in my office and do a 5.1.2 setup off of my cpu monitor. Just not a 866.2, all in wall setup.

T

trevanian

Audiophyte
There as so many good speakers in this price range , however I bough my 60xt couple years ago for 1300 for the pair on clearance, as the new 60xti were there. That said nothing on sale even at 3k for the pair, I have not heard anything that beats them significantly. I'd say for the money I think a pair of bmr and a sub would be a 20% improvement over the 60xt in clarity, and imaging but you're still over 4k-5k depending on the sub. Until I heard the kanta 2, which are now my next speaker . Granted I have not heard everything out there that I want to listen to like the Salk, tyler, josephs, scansonic etc.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis