A

Aruss87

Enthusiast
Hello all!

First of all, I have frequented this site for a while, just reading questions similar to mine and finding info I needed - it’s been a great help. Finally joined up!

I’m currently running:

Sony Str-dh770
Polk Rti-10 towers (bi-amp)
B&W CC6 center
Polk fx/i3 surrounds
Polk PSW505 (Amp just went out)

I’m looking for advice on the next bang for buck. Currently shopping for a sub and receiver upgrade.There’s a Marantz SR5013 locally priced at $425 on Facebook - very interested. I’ve been without my sub for a month or so and the Rti10’s have pretty good base, so it’s been alright without the sub. The psw505 was maybe a bit much for my lvg rm. there is also a Martin Logan dynamo 700w thatI’m looking at picking up nearby. Also a good price - $300. I can probably talk her down, she’s asking for an offer... but I’m not sure if I’d rather have clearer better sound from the Marantz receiver (and better 4K / HDR capabilities, as well as airplay and other features), or if I should get the sub.

Anything I buy at this point I’d like to keep for years to come. I wouldn’t mind swapping out my surrounds and center to match and have a full Martin Logan setup in the future. (Not sure if I’d replace my rti10’s ever, I absolutely love them.

Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Hello all!

First of all, I have frequented this site for a while, just reading questions similar to mine and finding info I needed - it’s been a great help. Finally joined up!

I’m currently running:

Sony Str-dh770
Polk Rti-10 towers (bi-amp)
B&W CC6 center
Polk fx/i3 surrounds
Polk PSW505 (Amp just went out)

I’m looking for advice on the next bang for buck. Currently shopping for a sub and receiver upgrade.There’s a Marantz SR5013 locally priced at $425 on Facebook - very interested. I’ve been without my sub for a month or so and the Rti10’s have pretty good base, so it’s been alright without the sub. The psw505 was maybe a bit much for my lvg rm. there is also a Martin Logan dynamo 700w thatI’m looking at picking up nearby. Also a good price - $300. I can probably talk her down, she’s asking for an offer... but I’m not sure if I’d rather have clearer better sound from the Marantz receiver (and better 4K / HDR capabilities, as well as airplay and other features), or if I should get the sub.

Anything I buy at this point I’d like to keep for years to come. I wouldn’t mind swapping out my surrounds and center to match and have a full Martin Logan setup in the future. (Not sure if I’d replace my rti10’s ever, I absolutely love them.

Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!
What your total budget? IMO, the 505 wasn’t too much for your room in so much as it’s kind of a boomy mess. I think I would replace that first, as a better sub will give you clean linear bass, and will actually help the whole system sound cleaner. While the Marantz will have audyssey, and therefore better room correction, that will be why it “could” sound better than the Sony. FWIW I have a 6012, and I do love it, but I would work on the sub first.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Subwoofer! When you hear it, you will agree with us!

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
definitely sub(s) first. LCR later.
Used Martin Logan dynamo 700w for $300 is not a good price, merely ok. It really should be under $200 to be a good deal. Keep in mind that it's a 10" sub meant for smaller rooms (ballpark 2000-2500 cuft closed doors/walls)
How big is your room (not just listening area, but entire open space volume) ?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What size (volume) is your room where the 505 was "too much" for it? Only sq related thing a different avr might bring is as was said a better REQ/setup solution in Audyssey vs Sony's DCAC, maybe some more extensive controls in general. I'd also concentrate on a better sub, and not particularly a smaller one, for me 12" is more a minimum but depends what you want from the sub. As to passive bi-amping, meh. https://www.audioholics.com/frequent-questions/the-difference-between-biamping-vs-biwiring

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
What size (volume) is your room where the 505 was "too much" for it? Only sq related thing a different avr might bring is as was said a better REQ/setup solution in Audyssey vs Sony's DCAC, maybe some more extensive controls in general. I'd also concentrate on a better sub, and not particularly a smaller one, for me 12" is more a minimum but depends what you want from the sub. As to passive bi-amping, meh. https://www.audioholics.com/frequent-questions/the-difference-between-biamping-vs-biwiring
My guess is that the "too much" part is boom and distortion. Do you remember me saying almost the exact same thing when I still had the dual 10" Klipsch subs? I was convinced my bass needs were more than met. Then I got to hear some real subs in my room for the first time and it was like going from standard def tv to 4k. One of the more meaningful "wow" moments in my upgrade path.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
My guess is that the "too much" part is boom and distortion. Do you remember me saying almost the exact same thing when I still had the dual 10" Klipsch subs? I was convinced my bass needs were more than met. Then I got to hear some real subs in my room for the first time and it was like going from standard def tv to 4k. One of the more meaningful "wow" moments in my upgrade path.
Well he seems to think it's driver diameter based but yes probably just the profile of the 505s typical response....I definitely agree that a better sub makes a big difference!

A

Aruss87

Enthusiast
Used Martin Logan dynamo 700w for $300 is not a good price, merely ok. It really should be under $200 to be a good deal. Keep in mind that it's a 10" sub meant for smaller rooms (ballpark 2000-2500 cuft closed doors/walls)
I’ve attached a photo for room size.

Attachments

A

Aruss87

Enthusiast
I would be open to other subs... it just interested me being of good quality. I wouldn’t mind going larger, I trust you guys’ experience. The room is about 2400’ CU.

A

Aruss87

Enthusiast
I think I understand... but there’s no harm in that, correct? It has the capability, and I don’t have a 7 channel setup, so as I wrong in thinking, “why not?”?

A

Aruss87

Enthusiast
Also, here are the cables I made for my towers. I’ve always wanted to get a pro’s opinion on them. Each line is two 14 ga wires in a banana plug. So, each speaker has four wires woven together. They’re wrapped in paracord. You like them? Or not?

Attachments

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Also, here are the cables I made for my towers. I’ve always wanted to get a pro’s opinion on them. Each line is two 14 ga wires in a banana plug. So, each speaker has four wires woven together. They’re wrapped in paracord. You like them? Or not?
You made those? They look pretty well done from the outside. Anybody that would take the time to weave the wires and wrap them in paracord gets two thumbs up for effort from me. With all the snake oil problems surrounding cables, simply weaving 14 gauge wire and making it look great is wonderful.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I’ve attached a photo for room size.
I would be open to other subs... it just interested me being of good quality. I wouldn’t mind going larger, I trust you guys’ experience. The room is about 2400’ CU.
If your living room is open to that kitchen area as the picture shows, your sub will essentially be seeing over 4,000 cubic feet of air space. A 10" sub is definitely not going to cut it.

Your wires look pretty nice to me!

A

Aruss87

Enthusiast
Also... ive been thinking what to do with the psw505 now that the amp went out. Could I recycle the box for a DIY sub???

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Also... ive been thinking what to do with the psw505 now that the amp went out. Could I recycle the box for a DIY sub???
Maybe, would be driver specific. OTOH you could hook up another amp to extend its life....

I think I understand... but there’s no harm in that, correct? It has the capability, and I don’t have a 7 channel setup, so as I wrong in thinking, “why not?”?
No harm but more about more extra wire than any actual benefit using an avr's single power supply....

A

Aruss87

Enthusiast
Maybe, would be driver specific. OTOH you could hook up another amp to extend its life....

No harm but more about more extra wire than any actual benefit using an avr's single power supply....
I’m getting a feeling from guys on here that the psw505 isn’t a great way to go for a sub. Would just a new amp give me much better sound? Should I replace the driver also? Or should I just chuck the old sub and buy new?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I’m getting a feeling from guys on here that the psw505 isn’t a great way to go for a sub. Would just a new amp give me much better sound? Should I replace the driver also? Or should I just chuck the old sub and buy new?
I would definitely move on to a better sub, the Polk subs just aren't very good.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Well. Unfortunately it’s really not a great subwoofer. I have one somewhere in my house so it might sound like I’m just tagging , but I’m speaking from experience when I talk about them. If I were you, I would definitely consider other options. Don’t chuck the Polk necessarily, but put it’s away somewhere until you can find a cheap amp to power it with and use it in the garage, or bedroom or something like that.

A

Aruss87

Enthusiast
Update!!!

I'm embarrassed as hell now... so I took the sub from my computer setup to play in the living room for a movie tonight (having guests). And realized that my brand new Jamo sub wasn’t working in the living room! Hmmm... I took the psw505 over to my computer and works on my amplifier on the computer. So sorry for wasting everyone’s time regarding the sub! (I just got my computer amp/speakers/sub, so I didn’t have a second amp to test the psw505 on before I got that)

So now I’m looking at replacing my receiver... Do you guys agree that $425 is a good price for a lightly used Marantz SR5013? I’m excited at the idea of it... all the features and having a quality receiver.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis