Are you ready for Real ID?

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Starting October 1, 2020 you will only be able to use your driver's license to get through security at US airports if it's a Real ID license. I always use my passport anyway, because I hate fumbling with or misplacing my driver's license, but if you fly domestically, don't have a passport, and don't have a Real ID license, get ready for chaos.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Why is this subject of interest to you?

It's not on my radar because I now have both a passport and a Real ID driver's license. Maryland started working on it's Real ID driver's licenses over a year ago.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Public service announcement. I had forgotten all about this. When I fly domestically I seldom see anyone use ID other than a driver's license. If one person here wakes up and figures out they won't be able to fly come October it was worth a short post. Can you imagine showing up at an airport on 10/1 and finding out then?

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Public service announcement. I had forgotten all about this. When I fly domestically I seldom see anyone use ID other than a driver's license. If one person here wakes up and figures out they won't be able to fly come October it was worth a short post. Can you imagine showing up at an airport on 10/1 and finding out then?
exactly, it should be(but isn't) on everyones radar. Besides, depending on the state in which you reside getting it may not be as easy as you would think.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Don't need one, don't use airports. Hate flying commercially...

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
+1 on that! Unfortunately driving is not a practical option much of the time. Too bad I never got rich enough to get a NetJets card.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Being retired helps. If I were still working it'd likely not be much of a choice as my job often entailed visits to other cities/countries. I think I flew something like a million miles commercially in my lifetime tho, and it was mostly a downhill experience over the years with the carriers and airports (not a good downhill like on a mountain bike, tho :) ). Altho the food got a bit better at airports towards the end.....can't think of anything else that got better.

Domestically I can live with just driving somewhere but I did a lot of that already, too, these days am content with maybe just seeing more of Oregon than I have so far....

+1 on that! Unfortunately driving is not a practical option much of the time. Too bad I never got rich enough to get a NetJets card.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Doesn't affect me personally since I'm moving from Texas to Florida both compliant. (I also have a passport) A timely heads up though and I can see real chaos at airports.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Being retired helps. If I were still working it'd likely not be much of a choice as my job often entailed visits to other cities/countries. I think I flew something like a million miles commercially in my lifetime tho, and it was mostly a downhill experience over the years with the carriers and airports (not a good downhill like on a mountain bike, tho :) ). Altho the food got a bit better at airports towards the end.....can't think of anything else that got better.
I hate flying commercial too. I also hate the way Transportation Security has mangled most airport operations in the USA. The only thing that has gotten better is going to the Motor Vehicles Administration, and that's only in contrast to airports and airlines. Maybe Maryland is doing it okay now. Other states where I lived in the past basically flunked MVA.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I hate flying commercial too. I also hate the way Transportation Security has mangled most airport operations in the USA. The only thing that has gotten better is going to the Motor Vehicles Administration, and that's only in contrast to airports and airlines. Maybe Maryland is doing it okay now. Other states where I lived in the past basically flunked MVA.
The motor vehicle department here in Oregon is awesome in my experiences so far. Don't know how they rank for the ID thing, tho....

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja

Domestically I can live with just driving somewhere but I did a lot of that already, too, these days am content with maybe just seeing more of Oregon than I have so far....
I love being retired also. I have the time to drive anywhere in the US if I want to. But as much as I hate commercial flying I still hate to drive long distances. BTW I think that Oregon has an extension through August whatever that means. If you have a passport or never fly I guess none of that matters anyway. Enjoy retirement man!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I love being retired also. I have the time to drive anywhere in the US if I want to. But as much as I hate commercial flying I still hate to drive long distances. BTW I think that Oregon has an extension through August whatever that means. If you have a passport or never fly I guess none of that matters anyway. Enjoy retirement man!
LOL I've been retired more than once and overall for quite a while :) I did spend my first retirement basically on the road exploring the western US (and some Canada) while on camping/mountain biking trips. Did that for 10 years then went back to work for three years before deciding to just do it permanently :) That was 6 years ago.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
LOL I've been retired more than once and overall for quite a while :) I did spend my first retirement basically on the road exploring the western US (and some Canada) while on camping/mountain biking trips. Did that for 10 years then went back to work for three years before deciding to just do it permanently :) That was 6 years ago.
Yeah I tried to retire at 60 from a company where I worked 26 years. Didn't take as I contracted back to them for the next 3 years. Moving to Florida next month and might consider part time work at a golf course. :)

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah I tried to retire at 60 from a company where I worked 26 years.
26 years ??? David, you were just getting started !!

I'll have 46 years come April 1st(started with the Penn Central RR 4/1/74), I do plan on retiring come the end of the year, my oldest grandson is 10 and I have no clue where the past 10 years have gone !

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
26 years ??? David, you were just getting started !!

I'll have 46 years come April 1st(started with the Penn Central RR 4/1/74), I do plan on retiring come the end of the year, my oldest grandson is 10 and I have no clue where the past 10 years have gone !
Where did it go? Rear view mirror. ;)

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I'm glad my new job doesn't require much travel. I was gone way too much for someone with small children. I don't fit in commercial seats well. I did fly first class my last flight. That was actually pretty nice, but I'd have to fly to much in order to have the miles to afford it each flight.

Now I just sit in my home office. Much better.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm glad my new job doesn't require much travel. I was gone way too much for someone with small children. I don't fit in commercial seats well. I did fly first class my last flight. That was actually pretty nice, but I'd have to fly to much in order to have the miles to afford it each flight.

Now I just sit in my home office. Much better.
I often flew business class so it wasn't too bad when I did go (we got serious discounts on airline travel due our airfreight agency arrangements with the airlines). Economy seating doesn't fit anyone but small children well :) Home office with speakers instead of headphones on a plane to keep out the noise is a winner!

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Yeah I tried to retire at 60 from a company where I worked 26 years. Didn't take as I contracted back to them for the next 3 years. Moving to Florida next month and might consider part time work at a golf course. :)
Part time at a golf course with discounts and course access would be a goooooood way to go. Something I'm considering, too.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis