Plex has completely blown me away!

H

henkeli

Audioholic Intern
I don’t want to throw everyone for a loop, but this weekend I switched to Emby.

There are still a few things I’ll allow Plex to do, like the DVR. Emby has not yet released commercial removal from recordings, but it’s in the works.

Emby on the Shield just has a much more enjoyable interface, and PLEX has been too focused on implementing features I don’t care about, like the free movies that I can watch for free ten other places, and now they’ve announced they’re going to start selling and renting content, too. I don’t want it for that. I want it to be as powerful as possible with MY LIBRARY.

I’d also like to reiterate that I still don’t believe PLEX or Kodi or Emby are doing ANY tone mapping at all. They’re just passing info through. If you were getting tone mapping, I think something was set incorrectly and they were transcoding and you weren’t getting native playback. Correct me if I’m wrong, but there is no evidence of any tone mapping procedure being performed for the purpose of tone mapping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I went with the Z9S for this reason.

Handles all BR+4K MKV, handles 3D-BR (that's rare), passes all the HD audio. Info from the Kodi forum:
  • Kodi doesn't run natively, but Zidoo's fork ZDMC Leia & Krypton-based are both available.
  • ZDMC (Kodi fork) is mostly used a front-end to push media playback to external (native) media player app.
  • 4K HDR with Max CLL/FALL infoframe data passthrough
  • HDR to SDR mapping
  • Fully supports HD audio (including ATMOS & DTS:X) and LPCM.
  • Best player for full 1080p 3D + 4K support in one
  • Deinterlacing for OTA TV has never been a strong performer on this platform.
  • Only SD quality Netflix, Amazon, etc.
Will continue Roku and/or AppleTV for external content, but not holding my breath that they will fully support my local files so just bit the bullet and went with a good player for that.

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
I am just setting up Plex again...this time on my unraid NAS. It is better than it used to be for sure, but I still prefer Kodi on Manjaro. My other player is a DUNE HD PRO which I use MyMovies for metadata, and it gives a pretty nice interface that way. What I do not like about Plex is its metadata collection...even when I select local source and direct it to mY drive, it misses about 30% of my movies for metadata. Each movie folder is worded exactly the same for my images, but it still misses them, and I have to go in and input all the missing info. I also run the Roku Premium, but that is mainly for streaming for me.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

H

henkeli

Audioholic Intern
I am just setting up Plex again...this time on my unraid NAS. It is better than it used to be for sure, but I still prefer Kodi on Manjaro. My other player is a DUNE HD PRO which I use MyMovies for metadata, and it gives a pretty nice interface that way. What I do not like about Plex is its metadata collection...even when I select local source and direct it to mY drive, it misses about 30% of my movies for metadata. Each movie folder is worded exactly the same for my images, but it still misses them, and I have to go in and input all the missing info. I also run the Roku Premium, but that is mainly for streaming for me.

I found the Roku with Plex quite useful and really wish Roku would support the HD audio streams. But I doubt they or AppleTV ever will. Forced subs in PGS were also kind of a problem with Plex as I needed to trial & error to find the right stream to use. Not a huge deal though, compared to the lack of HD audio.

I almost bit on the Shield but it did not quite provide all the features of the Z9S for local movies.

Does Plex have to transcode the stream from your NAS? Many moons ago I used a Synology with an HTPC and will never go back to that setup again. It's taking me a while and giving me a bunch of headaches just to get bluray ISO's off the freaking drives.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I have Plex Pass Lifetime. I've paid $75 for it. It has few neat features, such as support for hardware video transcoding. Free plex clients for all platforms they support. [normally 5$ each platform] Ability to control shared libraries and download videos to personal devices for offline viewing [the server need to have the pass, not necessarily the client]
OTA DVR already covered above :)
To get the $75 special, the only one way I know is to create a Plex account and subscribe to Plex Newsletter and patiently wait for the invite.
I got the lifetime pass earlier this year when they sent me a promo for it for $75. Let's me access everything on my phone when I'm not home as well that way. (as long as my internet cooperates that is)
I am not clear on how this works, but I went ahead and got the lifetime pass when it was on sale.
I am wondering if, like a service like Hulu or Netflix, it allows multiple setups (like 3 seats of a software to use the traditional jargon). It would be cool if I could share it with a family member!

Last edited:
ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
I found the Roku with Plex quite useful and really wish Roku would support the HD audio streams. But I doubt they or AppleTV ever will. Forced subs in PGS were also kind of a problem with Plex as I needed to trial & error to find the right stream to use. Not a huge deal though, compared to the lack of HD audio.

I almost bit on the Shield but it did not quite provide all the features of the Z9S for local movies.

Does Plex have to transcode the stream from your NAS? Many moons ago I used a Synology with an HTPC and will never go back to that setup again. It's taking me a while and giving me a bunch of headaches just to get bluray ISO's off the freaking drives.
I do not transcode my streams... I only need stream at a time so I think I am fine, but just recently unraid did an update, and it pauses on my Dune Player and Plex. My solution currently is to run 2 10TB USB3 HDDs hooked up directly to my Dune, and stream from there. It works perfect this way...even in 4k movies.

Last edited:
H

henkeli

Audioholic Intern
I do not transcode my streams?... I only need stream at a time so I think Inam fine, but just recently unraid did an update, and it pauses on my Dune Player and Plex. My solution currently is to run 2 10TB USB3 HDDs hooked up directly to my Dune, and stream from there. It works perfect this way...even in 4k movies.

transcode depends on the Plex config, wether or not it attempts to convert audio/video streams while playing. If the media server is on a NAS, it typically struggles.

But anyway the locally attached storage is also what I'm after. Simple and portable with exFAT. I'm currently booting a live Ubuntu stick so that I can even mount the old Synology drives to copy data off. What a hassle.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I am not clear on how this works, but I went ahead and got the lifetime pass when it was on sale. I am wondering if, like a service like Hulu or Netflix, it allows multiple setups (like 3 seats of a software to use the traditional jargon). It would be cool if I could share it with a family member!
You can absolutely share your plex with a family member and even friends. Plex Pass allows both.
It's not that hard to set up, just follow the instructions to enable remote access.
I'd admit sometimes it could be tricky to make it work, but in most cases, it's fairly simple. The good news it will only be needed to do once.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I am not clear on how this works, but I went ahead and got the lifetime pass when it was on sale. I am wondering if, like a service like Hulu or Netflix, it allows multiple setups (like 3 seats of a software to use the traditional jargon). It would be cool if I could share it with a family member!
Like BSA said it does allow you to share with family and friends. It also lets you use the mobile apps for free as well. If you don't ahve the plex pass the mobile apps are somewhat limited unless you pay the app price. I think it was $5 or something. Plus plex pass also gives you access to DVR features if you're interested in that. It's something I'd love to do in the future, but right now our internet isn't good enough for us to cut the cord, so I haven't dabbled much with it.

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord

Other than HDR to SDR what features does the Shield not have?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I am not clear on how this works, but I went ahead and got the lifetime pass when it was on sale.
I am wondering if, like a service like Hulu or Netflix, it allows multiple setups (like 3 seats of a software to use the traditional jargon). It would be cool if I could share it with a family member!
And if you're super nice maybe someone will share their Plex library with you.

H

henkeli

Audioholic Intern
Other than HDR to SDR what features does the Shield not have?
was looking for complete movie file playback support. so things like 3D, ISO, folder structure, all video codecs including VC-1, lots of local storage options for drives, something like the premium dedicated media players but in a lower cost package. i don't do OTA and don't care for TV that much to store episodes.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
was looking for complete movie file playback support. so things like 3D, ISO, folder structure, all video codecs including VC-1, lots of local storage options for drives, something like the premium dedicated media players but in a lower cost package. i don't do OTA and don't care for TV that much to store episodes.
I don't have issues with 3D and VC-1, but yeah, if you do folder structure for BD and ISOs then Plex isn't for you. Not really a Shield thing though.

I used to used folder structure a long time ago, but I realized I didn't care about all the extras and just put everything into .mkv containers and never looked back. Seems to have worked out better.

H

henkeli

Audioholic Intern
I don't have issues with 3D and VC-1, but yeah, if you do folder structure for BD and ISOs then Plex isn't for you. Not really a Shield thing though.

I used to used folder structure a long time ago, but I realized I didn't care about all the extras and just put everything into .mkv containers and never looked back. Seems to have worked out better.
That is not what my research indicates. Shield has the following limitations:
  • No playback of full 3D MVC frame-packed files
  • Green screening of VC-1 Bluray rips
  • Buggy implementation of Dolby Vision on streaming apps
  • Buggy implementation of AI upscaling
  • No HDR to SDR mapping

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
That is not what my research indicates. Shield has the following limitations:
  • No playback of full 3D MVC frame-packed files
  • Green screening of VC-1 Bluray rips
  • Buggy implementation of Dolby Vision on streaming apps
  • Buggy implementation of AI upscaling
  • No HDR to SDR mapping
I've read some of the same, but for me it doesn't apply except for HDR to SDR mapping. I use Kodi DS Player on my HTPC for that. Only that actually.

I have VC-1 rips that play fine so I haven't experienced that issue.

3D, AI upscaling, and Dolby Vision aren't important to me at this time. Once projectors support DV, I might start to care.

Even though I don't really care about 3D, the movies I have that are 3D play just fine. I must not have the type the Shield has issues with.

thrillcat

thrillcat

Audioholic Intern
VC1 rips play just fine on my Shield.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H

henkeli

Audioholic Intern

You didn't agree to the Plex privacy terms, did you?

For example, we may collect what program or movie you are watching and when, your interaction with any static or video advertising, etc. We may also collect your device information and device location, for example, by using your IP address or by asking for your zip code. We may use this information to run and improve our Services, provide advertising and marketing to you, as well as share anonymous or aggregated versions of the data with third parties.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord

You didn't agree to the Plex privacy terms, did you?

For example, we may collect what program or movie you are watching and when, your interaction with any static or video advertising, etc. We may also collect your device information and device location, for example, by using your IP address or by asking for your zip code. We may use this information to run and improve our Services, provide advertising and marketing to you, as well as share anonymous or aggregated versions of the data with third parties.
Those people will go after literally any software that plays video or audio files because it COULD be used for piracy. So can a blu-ray player when you make a copy of a disc. TVs are also an issue since they let you see content that could potentially be pirated.

Zildjianmeister

Zildjianmeister

Junior Audioholic
I finally completed my plex server/nas setup and really enjoying it like others here. Using Roku ultra as the client.

That said anyone with suggestions for a solid Blu ray burner for ripping? I have a Buffalo and it has been hit or miss with both blu rays and DVD.. If the DVD doesn't work I use my pcs internal drive and its fine.

Wirecutter rated a pioneer standard and lg ultra hd burner as the best. I'm just interested in ripping standard blu Ray. Any thoughts on these models? Better reliability? I did read that you have to download a utility for pioneer or It rips really slow.
thanks!
Z

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I use an internal LG blu-ray drive that I picked up from Micro Center. Works great for ripping blu-rays.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
PLEX sucks with the subtitles, though.

For 2K movies/TV shows that have any kind of issues with subtitles, I use KODI.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis