B

Bigmaker

Enthusiast
I have a pair of Cerwin Vega xls 15 was wondering should I upgrade the crossover in or leave it , if so which crossover would improve sound quality ?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Can’t imagine what you’d do to make them better. CV has designed the XO’s to work with the cabs and drivers together. I’d leave them alone. Or buy different speakers. Is there a reason you think think you should do anything to the crossovers?

B

Bigmaker

Enthusiast
Can’t imagine what you’d do to make them better. CV has designed the XO’s to work with the cabs and drivers together. I’d leave them alone. Or buy different speakers. Is there a reason you think think you should do anything to the crossovers?
My neighbor has the Cerwin Vega dx9 they sound amazing , I was told the XLS (I have) not by Cerwin Vega , but by Gibson (Guitars)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
My neighbor has the Cerwin Vega dx9 they sound amazing , I was told the XLS (I have) not by Cerwin Vega , but by Gibson (Guitars)
Ok, not sure where you’re going with this. ???
CV is probably owned by Gibson but I’m sure they operate under a corporate umbrella as their own company. What do the dx9’s have to do with your XLS?

I have a pair of D9’s. They need surrounds and a horn. Lots of fun.

B

Bigmaker

Enthusiast
Ok, not sure where you’re going with this. ???
CV is probably owned by Gibson but I’m sure they operate under a corporate umbrella as their own company. What do the dx9’s have to do with your XLS?

I have a pair of D9’s. They need surrounds and a horn. Lots of fun.
Ohhhhh OK !! He said something like that.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If you could interest someone that actually designs crossovers, you possibly could improve it. An off the shelf one to improve on what CV provided? Not too likely. I'd simply enjoy the speakers for what they are. Or get different speakers....

B

Bigmaker

Enthusiast
If you could interest someone that actually designs crossovers, you possibly could improve it. An off the shelf one to improve on what CV provided? Not too likely. I'd simply enjoy the speakers for what they are. Or get different speakers....
Gotcha !!

B

Bigmaker

Enthusiast
After all , My neighbor have a Marantz 2285 ,
I have a Marantz sr7005 another reason why I think his winning.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
After all , My neighbor have a Marantz 2285 ,
I have a Marantz sr7005 another reason why I think his winning.
I don't even know what that means. I'd rather have a newer one....I don't miss my 2270.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
Money-wise the best thing you can do is sell the XLS and hunt down a pair of DX9's.

Tweaking or rebuilding the crossover is going to cost you, possibly a lot of money, and it adds no resale value to the speakers. If you get the work done and still don't like the sound, you gain nothing.

I was given sage advice a couple years ago when I proposed modifying some speakers of my own: if you don't like how they sound, the cheapest option is to replace them.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Money-wise the best thing you can do is sell the XLS and hunt down a pair of DX9's.

Tweaking or rebuilding the crossover is going to cost you, possibly a lot of money, and it adds no resale value to the speakers. If you get the work done and still don't like the sound, you gain nothing.

I was given sage advice a couple years ago when I proposed modifying some speakers of my own: if you don't like how they sound, the cheapest option is to replace them.
Agree with this. I’m still fairly confused my the Op but...
I think the XLS will be possibly louder overall but not sure. I have a pair of D9’s that I’m sure are louder/more sensitive than the dx9 due to having a horn but finding some that don’t need new foam surrounds will be tough.

S

SenseiDean

Audiophyte
Hi, yeah, Id say if you don't like the sound, get a different speaker. It is usually the type of music. CVS are more a rock or movie speaker, but maybe not so great for live opera / classical music.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
That's like saying it's a bad speaker. :D Type of music shouldn't matter. It's interesting how Cerwin Vega got that reputation. I remember that 30 years ago they promoted themselves as loud rock'n'roll speakers so it's funny how that persists even today. I saw a promotion on their web site just a week or two ago (no longer up) that featured a long-haired guitarist in front of a wall of speakers. They seem content to market themselves to certain genres of music.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis