New Amp + Amplifier

clamatowas

clamatowas

Junior Audioholic
Bases off of the youtube channel of this site I went with the
Yamaha MX-A5200 and the CX-A5200 combo.

Now I'm left with a few questions. Is there a recommended brand of XLR cables where I'm not buying snake oil?

Also My sub 'HSU VTF-15H' only Low level imports or High level no XLR, is it recommended to get a converter?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Last edited:
clamatowas

clamatowas

Junior Audioholic
You could get a RCA-to-XLR cable.
Thanks! I did not see the traditional RCA for the sub on the preamp. I only saw the 2 XLR outputs for the sub, that's why I was asking. I just did not want to do something stupid and fry my sub.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks! I did not see the traditional RCA for the sub on the preamp. I only saw the 2 XLR outputs for the sub, that's why I was asking. I just did not want to do something stupid and fry my sub.
I thought it had both choices, yep easy enough to get a converter cable.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just looked at the back of the pre-amp, it has rca sub pre-outs. I'd just use those....

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Just looked at the back of the pre-amp, it has rca sub pre-outs. I'd just use those....
Right? What good is it to add another cable to convert when it's unnecessary? Less parts = better I think. If you don't need it don't add it.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
You're correct I totally missed it when I looked at it before.
Yeah, the CX-A5200 (like the 5100) has both RCA and XLR for all outputs.

If your sub amp only has RCA, you could just use a regular RCA cable. But I know some people just like to see that XLR cable on the CX-A5200 to match all the other XLR cables. :D

Either way is fine. It doesn't hurt. They are not very expensive either. XLR provides better connections because of the LOCKING mechanism.

As for me, I use all XLR cables for my system since my Sub amps also have XLR.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, the CX-A5200 (like the 5100) has both RCA and XLR for all outputs.

If your sub amp only has RCA, you could just use a regular RCA cable. But I know some people just like to see that XLR cable on the CX-A5200 to match all the other XLR cables. :D

Either way is fine. It doesn't hurt. They are not very expensive either. XLR provides better connections because of the LOCKING mechanism.

As for me, I use all XLR cables for my system since my Sub amps also have XLR.
OTOH there's no advantage to using a balanced output to an unbalanced input....aesthetics wouldn't be a good reason IMO.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
OTOH there's no advantage to using a balanced output to an unbalanced input....aesthetics wouldn't be a good reason IMO.
Aesthetics is personal preference. The only person who knows if it's worth it or if it's a "good" reason is the owner.

SQ-wise, it makes no difference. So it's pure preference.

Would I do it? Yes I would. I like to see the all-XLR team on the back of my Yamaha pre-pro. I don't want to see any RCA cables on the back of my Yamaha (or anything else :D). It's just personal preference.

Heck, if they ever make a XLR-HDMI cable, I would buy them. :D

clamatowas

clamatowas

Junior Audioholic
Aesthetics is personal preference. The only person who knows if it's worth it or if it's a "good" reason is the owner.

SQ-wise, it makes no difference. So it's pure preference.

Would I do it? Yes I would. I like to see the all-XLR team on the back of my Yamaha pre-pro. I don't want to see any RCA cables on the back of my Yamaha (or anything else :D). It's just personal preference.

Heck, if they ever make a XLR-HDMI cable, I would buy them. :D
I agree with you 100% they are a very sexy cable.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
LOL sexy cables on one end only on the back of a prepro....you guys are weird.

AVUser001

AVUser001

Full Audioholic
For cables try fellow member @afford-hifi ? He's got a give away this month, too. Otherwise usual go-tos like Bluejeanscables.com, monoprice.com, parts-express.com, amazon...

Just use rca on the sub, it won't likely make any difference even if you had xlr input on the sub, but a good shielded rca cable will work fine. How long is the run?

ps here's the give-away https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/how-about-another-give-away-from-afford-hifi.117219/#post-1369112
I'll add Mediabridge cables to the list of good quality/cheap cables, in addition to BJC,Monoprice,Bluerigger...Great quality , Cheap, good Customer service and ton of positive feedback

All my speaker/HDMI/sub cablesare either BJC or MediaBridge now. Used to use Binary cables from SnapAV, highly recommended by the AV contractors for reliability esp in-wall, was happy with them esp with their Griptek HDMI connectors, but they're a bit more expensive, last time I checked and not broadly available.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Sexy cables huh? I think we just came up with a new marketing strategy...
Know what I really like about XLR cables? I love that "CLICKING" sound they make when you connect the cables to Pre-pro/Amp!

Yeah. That's right. CLICK! :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis