High 2.0 vs cheaper 2.1

P

pattyt21

Junior Audioholic
Now my 2nd post ever, think I posted in wrong forum first. Anyways looking for some advice, in buying a stereo for my mother, not concerned about room acoustics, imaging etc, already have system picked out, need help with speakers. wondering if a $1600 pair of bookshelves would be better than say a $800 pair and sub? In particular looking at paradigm prestige 15B vs premier 100B and defiance v10 sub. She listens to rock (scorpions, guns and Rose's), top gun soundtrack, coldplay. Looking to rock the house, loud and clear in a 3 walled 8x8 room. Floor standers and towers are not a option as she will likely have to move soon and would like her to be able to transport. Thanks for any info!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Definitely go for a 2.1 system rather than a two channel system for those listening tastes. This is pretty clear cut case. She will enjoy a system with a sub a whole lot more than a system without a sub.

P

pattyt21

Junior Audioholic
Definitely go for a 2.1 system rather than a two channel system for those listening tastes. This is pretty clear cut case. She will enjoy a system with a sub a whole lot more than a system without a sub.
Thanks, just wasn't sure. Obviously in a nice room, stands, etc. A $1600 pair of speakers will sound better than a $1,000 pair, but in a toss em in a corner here and the other on a shelf over there, which one would rock better hahaha.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
It's easier to properly place a 2.1 system than a 2.0 system; improving in-room bass response.

P

pattyt21

Junior Audioholic
It's easier to properly place a 2.1 system than a 2.0 system; improving in-room bass response.
Ohhhhh yeah. Port to wall placement etc. Where sub is more flexible. Thanks! Thinking I should pull the trigger on the KEF LS50s just because they're $400 off.....

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Ohhhhh yeah. Port to wall placement etc. Where sub is more flexible. Thanks! Thinking I should pull the trigger on the KEF LS50s just because they're $400 off.....

If you will have a sub with them -- then yes

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis