Emotiva B1 speakers

Yohansen

Yohansen

Audioholic
I just ordered the Emotiva B1 speakers
I will give my impressions after I try it with a Yamaha RXV485.

Yohansen

Yohansen

Audioholic
Unfortunately, Emotiva b1+, I sent them back because comparing to RTIA7 Polk speakers are almost the same.
The b1’s lack of some pretty deep low.
I stand by my Polk for now.
They are very good for desktop computer use though. :)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Unfortunately, Emotiva b1+, I sent them back because comparing to RTIA7 Polk speakers are almost the same.
In my experience, speakers with narrow vertical dispersion make for poor near-field speakers. But that is because I can slouch a lot, and change posture, etc., so that I end up changing listening position height a lot relative to the vertical axis. I think that a desktop speaker should have a wide and even vertical dispersion, unless the listener maintains perfect posture always (in which case, the listener's humanity is called into question).

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Well they're a lot smaller speakers than your RTI A7s. I wouldn't expect the same low end performance from a $229/pr 2-way bookshelf you get from a much larger 3-way tower...

Yohansen

Yohansen

Audioholic
In my experience, speakers with narrow vertical dispersion make for poor near-field speakers. But that is because I can slouch a lot, and change posture, etc., so that I end up changing listening position height a lot relative to the vertical axis. I think that a desktop speaker should have a wide and even vertical dispersion, unless the listener maintains perfect posture always (in which case, the listener's humanity is called into question).
I’m sorry my friend but my vocabulary and words in English that is my second language, is limited but I didn’t understand. Can you rephrase please? :)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I’m sorry my friend but my vocabulary and words in English that is my second language, is limited but I didn’t understand. Can you rephrase please? :)
To rephrase, when many people sit at their desk, they can often change the way they sit, like they will lean to one side, or they will slump back, or sink into their seat. Since they are seated so close to the speaker, those kind of changes greatly changes the angle that the speaker is facing toward them, and they can can often be listening at a position far below the tweeter. But most speakers are designed to be listened at a height where the ears are level with the tweeter. Speakers with AMT tweeters (like the Emotiva speakers) mostly are intended to be listened where the ears at are at the same height as the tweeter. If you listen too far below an AMT tweeter's axis, the treble will be greatly reduced and also becomes very uneven. For this reason I don't think that speakers with AMT tweeters make great desktop speakers. They are only OK if you don't change your posture while seated.

Yohansen

Yohansen

Audioholic
To rephrase, when many people sit at their desk, they can often change the way they sit, like they will lean to one side, or they will slump back, or sink into their seat. Since they are seated so close to the speaker, those kind of changes greatly changes the angle that the speaker is facing toward them, and they can can often be listening at a position far below the tweeter. But most speakers are designed to be listened at a height where the ears are level with the tweeter. Speakers with AMT tweeters (like the Emotiva speakers) mostly are intended to be listened where the ears at are at the same height as the tweeter. If you listen too far below an AMT tweeter's axis, the treble will be greatly reduced and also becomes very uneven. For this reason I don't think that speakers with AMT tweeters make great desktop speakers. They are only OK if you don't change your posture while seated.
Thank you so much my friend. Now I get it and I believe that I made the right decision to send them back. I’ll stay with my Polk that sounds at its best if I set it on “direct” mode.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis