Blown Tweeter in NS-200ma... need advice

B

bkraemer

Enthusiast
One of my NS-200ma's has a blown tweeter and the original tweeter is a Yamaha JA-0573.

I can't find a in-working-condition replacement for this tweeter anywhere.

But... it looks a lot like a JA-0549 and a JA-0522.

So the question is... will either of these work and if so... should i replace them both or just the broken one?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
One of my NS-200ma's has a blown tweeter and the original tweeter is a Yamaha JA-0573.

I can't find a in-working-condition replacement for this tweeter anywhere.

But... it looks a lot like a JA-0549 and a JA-0522.

So the question is... will either of these work and if so... should i replace them both or just the broken one?
Look like and are alike are totally different things.

Unfortunately there are no detailed specs available for those tweeters.

eBay sellers want a lot of money for the tweeters you mention. That older design of speaker you have is not worth it. In any case the ferro fluid in those tweeters will be drying up, so you can expect further failures.

You will have to change both tweeters.

The speakers are not going to sound the same. How different I can't tell you.

What you need is a couple of 1" titanium domed tweeters 6 ohm impedance.

A coupe of these will fit the bill. However if you want original sound from these speakers you are not going to get it without finding the correct tweeter.

If you want to continue to use them, then a couple of these are probably your best bet.

B

bkraemer

Enthusiast
Look like and are alike are totally different things.
which is to be expected... but worth a thought.

eBay sellers want a lot of money for the tweeters you mention. That older design of speaker you have is not worth it. In any case the ferro fluid in those tweeters will be drying up, so you can expect further failures.

You will have to change both tweeters.
That was my hunch, that I'd need to replace both. I found a pair for ~$80 but as you mentioned... prone to further failures.

If you want to continue to use them, then a couple of these are probably your best bet.
Thanks. I just want good sound, need not be original.

However... two other things... those Theil's don't look like they'd fit. The tweeter form factor is circular but these Yamaha's have dog-eared corners: https://www.ebay.ie/itm/YAMAHA-NS-200MA-TWEETER-SPEAKER-JA-0573-TITANIUM-OEM-NS-EXCELLENT-DIE-CAST-/172371669852

I don't see anything on madisound that looks like a shape match. Maybe I am misunderstanding though.

And... I don't want to waste good gear, but $60-$80 for a pair of used tweeters... is that the right investment going forward? A pair of Polk's for instance... $300.

I assume that these can't really be repaired?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
which is to be expected... but worth a thought.

That was my hunch, that I'd need to replace both. I found a pair for ~$80 but as you mentioned... prone to further failures.

Thanks. I just want good sound, need not be original.

However... two other things... those Theil's don't look like they'd fit. The tweeter form factor is circular but these Yamaha's have dog-eared corners: https://www.ebay.ie/itm/YAMAHA-NS-200MA-TWEETER-SPEAKER-JA-0573-TITANIUM-OEM-NS-EXCELLENT-DIE-CAST-/172371669852

I don't see anything on madisound that looks like a shape match. Maybe I am misunderstanding though.

And... I don't want to waste good gear, but $60-$80 for a pair of used tweeters... is that the right investment going forward? A pair of Polk's for instance... $300.

I assume that these can't really be repaired?
The problem is that I know nothing about those tweeters. They might be totally the wrong tweeters. If it is good sound you want then it time to retire those speakers and go shopping.

On the ones I selected I looked at the crossover circuit of the speakers you have and I expect they will be close. When you switch tweeters without an exact replacement then there is usually a physical mod involved that involves some carpentry. You don't know those tweeters are the same size as the ones you have. You only have a picture to go on.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis