Using Computational Fluid Dynamics for a Bottle Rocket

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
Haack Nose.png

Here's the newest nose, its a Tangent Haack nose. Supposedly the least drag under subsonic speeds. I'd say it has decent resolution for using an equation's table values input into AutoCAD and then polylined and revolved.

I also have new fins that I'm printing and hopefully I can get a video of the launch for you guys.

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic

The rocket, with new nose and larger wings.

Behind is my Denon AVR3802 and 10+ woofers lol.

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
Ballsy. Is that a cardboard box workstation with a soldering iron on it? :p
Don’t tell anyone but it’s actually wood flooring underneath ;)

I think it makes a great workstation to be honest. Who knew cardboard made such a good desoldering tool?

annunaki

annunaki

Looks a lot better than your first go! Hopefully it will deliver the goods now ;)

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
In high school, we convinced our physics teacher to let us play with these types of rockets for weeks on end!

I may have missed a detail....what is the goal? You are supposed to launch an egg and protect it upon landing?

If that is the case, then you need to also be looking at your re-entry/landing scenario. And for that you should be looking at ways to slow the descent (parachute, copter blade drag, etc).

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
In high school, we convinced our physics teacher to let us play with these types of rockets for weeks on end!

I may have missed a detail....what is the goal? You are supposed to launch an egg and protect it upon landing?

If that is the case, then you need to also be looking at your re-entry/landing scenario. And for that you should be looking at ways to slow the descent (parachute, copter blade drag, etc).
Yeah we didn’t have enough time to play with rockets for weeks on end. 5 days. Then next section. AP Physics! Lol.

So we are supposed to protect an egg but no parachutes allowed. So you could stuff the nose with cotton balls or something similar. There’s no way an egg survives my reentry speed though, I’ll email you the video if you like haha.

I just wanted to have the highest launch record at the school, or at least his class, and I think I got it. So yay me.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah we didn’t have enough time to play with rockets for weeks on end. 5 days. Then next section. AP Physics! Lol.

So we are supposed to protect an egg but no parachutes allowed. So you could stuff the nose with cotton balls or something similar. There’s no way an egg survives my reentry speed though, I’ll email you the video if you like haha.

I just wanted to have the highest launch record at the school, or at least his class, and I think I got it. So yay me.
I can tell you what worked in my high school days in the "Physics Olympics"!

It was NOT my design.

But, the winning design for the egg drop had a paper cone on the bottom to absorb/dissipate as much energy as possible, and it had copter-rotors to slow the descent too.

So, if you could work it out where the rocket comes down nose-first, with a cone/nose that is designed to crumple when it hits, and has some sort of rotors that will only pop out on descent, it will likely be a winning design!

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
Excellent! So you are saying your objective doesn't align with your instructor's objective? Oh well. I like the objective of the highest altitude.

Years ago, we built model rockets for science in middle school using the Estes solid fuel rocket engines you could buy in any hobby shop. Our launch day for class happened to coincide with a visit by President Reagan. We got high enough altitude that the project resulted in the teacher and principal to getting a visit from the Secret Service.

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
Excellent! So you are saying your objective doesn't align with your instructor's objective? Oh well. I like the objective of the highest altitude.

Years ago, we built model rockets for science in middle school using the Estes solid fuel rocket engines you could buy in any hobby shop. Our launch day for class happened to coincide with a visit by President Reagan. We got high enough altitude that the project resulted in the teacher and principal to getting a visit from the Secret Service.
Wow, that’s pretty impressive. Did you guys get a presidential award? :p

So basically I made my first rocket which complied with his requirements, launched that, was alright for what it was. I went home and said to myself “that sucked” and I could do better. Drew up a new nose and wings that are pretty sweet, as seen in the picture, got it launched by my friend as I wasn’t feeling good and went home before my physics class, and got a video of it.

All in all, very happy.

I think the next goal is to take down a Sheriff’s helicopter during a bank robbery, maybe they’ll come back and give me a cut as a thanks for helping them get away :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis