TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
The fact that you're sticking up for him? :D
You really do have some great comebacks. If you read those articles I would think it was obvious. He glorifies terrorists and there is no left leaning totalitarian regime, especially of the South American variety the idiot does not admire. I have to say that if Out of Phase can not see the harm in this terrible bloke then his moniker Out of Phase fits him like a glove.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

You know him? He told you this?

Read your link again and get back to me.

Take a look at this. The chap has never found a left leaning extremist he did not like.

I'm now done with this. If you can't see this bloke is a nasty idiot, then I'm now done with you. Fortunately the great British public saw him for the dangerous idiot he is, and gave BOJO a honking majority. Even his campaigners admitted he was toxic on the door step. Even a long time labor supporter and former labor MP said "He could not find his way out of a paper bag", on TV election night and I heard him say it, as I was tuned to election coverage live via VPN server.

And for the last time it is not bias to cause a spade a spade. The left lunatic shoe fits on Corby. Lastly I remind you again far left regimes have spread unimaginable misery around the world and we don't need to court it in the USA. That is not opinion, but fact.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Your link is interesting and is listed by a reliable source as least-bias. Thank you for it.

Your denunciation of the politician in question is based more on your own personal bias than facts. Feelings aren't facts.
Nonsense. He has a paper trail, audio and video record, that stretches for miles. The evidence to support my position is overwhelming.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Back to the emerging Coronavirus story… or the Attack of the Mutant Virus from China.

It's not yet a major pandemic, but the number of people infected by this virus is expanding exponentially. It's far from slowing down. One statistical prediction has said that the numbers of people infected worldwide may peak sometime in April –assuming that the rates of infection continue without changing from what we've seen so far. That's only a prediction. We'll see. But it's clear this new virus could be around for the long term.

It's also been widely reported (or repeated) that infected people can spread the virus to others before they show any symptoms. Although this is waiting scientific confirmation, it's not too surprising. If true, this will contribute to the virus's rate of spreading.

I hope that medical people are now getting a handle on how to treat (make that support, not treat) infected patients so they remain alive, and that this info can used worldwide to reduce the numbers of deaths.

It is also quite possible the virus itself is rapidly mutating, and might soon evolve into a less lethal form. From a virus evolution perspective, a virus is most successful when it promulgates itself widely without killing it's host or hosts. The next few months will be a roller coaster ride.

The vaccine development people already have swung into action. With some luck, there may be several prototypes in early stages of testing and clinical development as early as this spring. The anti-vaccine community may be in for some intense soul searching in the near future.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Back to the emerging Coronavirus story… or the Attack of the Mutant Virus from China.

It's not yet a major pandemic, but the number of people infected by this virus is expanding exponentially. It's far from slowing down. One statistical prediction has said that the numbers of people infected worldwide may peak sometime in April –assuming that the rates of infection continue without changing from what we've seen so far. That's only a prediction. We'll see. But it's clear this new virus could be around for the long term.

It's also been widely reported (or repeated) that infected people can spread the virus to others before they show any symptoms. Although this is waiting scientific confirmation, it's not too surprising. If true, this will contribute to the viruses more rapid and wider spread.

I hope that medical people are now getting a handle on how to treat infected patients so they remain alive, and that this info can used worldwide to reduce the numbers of deaths.

It is also quite possible the virus itself is rapidly mutating, and might soon evolve into a less lethal form. From a virus evolution perspective, a virus is most successful when it promulgates itself widely without killing it's host or hosts. The next few months will be a roller coaster ride.

The vaccine development people already have swung into action. With some luck, there may be several prototypes in early stages of testing and clinical development as early as this spring. The anti-vaccine community may be in for some intense soul searching in the near future.
I agree with most of that. The problem is that as with most viral infections there is no specific treatment. So you get better or not with simple supportive care. However this is primarily a respiratory infection. So if you go into respiratory failure you need intubation and putting on a ventilator. The trouble with that is that ventilators are a very finite resource in every community. Once you run out of ventilators, then most in the respiratory failure column will progress quickly to the mortality column. How to treat people with viral infections in respiratory failure is well known. It is resources that quickly become the problem and always the fear in situations like this.

It is too soon to see where this is headed, but it is worrisome. When the crisis passes there is going to have to be some straight talk with China and some serious consequences for non compliance. This may be required of other countries also in Asia and the Middle East.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Although I'm not real familiar with him, it appears that he has had many accomplishments in his life. I don't always trust wiki sites for accuracy, but he certainly shows his admiration for peace and human rights. I'm sure many British citizens are proud.

"The evidence to support my position is overwhelming."

I haven't found any thus far. Supporters of Corbyn would disagree with you.
Not nearly enough to make him PM thank goodness! However what Thatcher called the "wets" abound these days. Woke leaning liberals often known as "snowflakes" abound everywhere now. They claim a virtuous superiority. History tells us their legacy is misery.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
On the subject of anti-viral treatment, several drugs had in the past, during the SARS outbreak, been mentioned as of possible use for the new Coronavirus. If I remember correctly, these drugs had been developed for HIV infections and are approved use in HIV patients.

Coronaviruses (if I recall my virology from years ago) have a single-stranded RNA positive-sense genome. It encodes for viral capsid proteins, and two enzymes: a RNA replicase and a viral protease. The drugs target two similar, but not identical, enzymes encoded in the HIV genome. I don't know what the status is for these drugs with Coronaviruses, but I remember reading that it is now being looked into. Again, with some luck, there just maybe anti-viral drugs on the horizon that might be of use in life-threatening cases. However, it may be some time before they are adequately tested and approved for this new indication. Until then, the only medical option is life support for respiratory failure cases.

R

RedCharles

Full Audioholic

So I'm looking at the numbers from John Hopkins. There's 4474 confirmed, 107 deaths and 63 recovered. Those numbers look really bad, because deaths lag confirmations.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it probably takes a day or three to die after being confirmed. So if we go back a few days to Jan 23, the world had 900 confirmed cases, and I'm thinking the deaths from today were confirmed before or around Jan 23, which would mean this virus kills at a rate closer to 10 percent. Anyone agree with this logic?

Please shoot this idea full of holes. I really don't want it to be true.

Not to mention only 63 recovered, what's up with that?

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
So I’m actually in Thailand right now on vacation and We’re on high alert. On Friday we leave. We fly from Bangkok to Hong Kong and transfer. Then Hong Kong to LAX and I’m very concerned about the transfer and the 12hr flight. We’re going to try to wear the masks through the whole 12 hour flight. It’s gonna be very uncomfortable but I think we should do it. We’ve been wearing masks, using hand sanitizer regularly and washing our hands at every opportunity. Wish us luck please!

Attachments

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

So I’m actually in Thailand right now on vacation and We’re on high alert. On Friday we leave. We fly from Bangkok to Hong Kong and transfer. Then Hong Kong to LAX and I’m very concerned about the transfer and the 12hr flight. We’re going to try to wear the masks through the whole 12 hour flight. It’s gonna be very uncomfortable but I think we should do it. We’ve been wearing masks, using hand sanitizer regularly and washing our hands at every opportunity. Wish us luck please!
Hopefully those masks are able to block that virus.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

What the does Jeremy Corbyn and fact checking the WSJ have to do with Corona virus?
Image result for shut the truck up donny350 × 261
Absolutely nothing you are correct. It just happened that I linked one article, yes just one of many, on this outbreak from the Daily Telegraph. Then we had a nutter here questioning the veracity of my links, because according to one of his lefty fact checkers the Telegraph was biased. To indicate same he linked an article from the Daily telegraph stating out that Corbyn was basically an incompetent idiot. This had nothing to do with dreadful viral epidemic. So I should not have indulged the idiot, and for that I apologize, especially to you who is the OP of this thread.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

So I'm looking at the numbers from John Hopkins. There's 4474 confirmed, 107 deaths and 63 recovered. Those numbers look really bad, because deaths lag confirmations.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it probably takes a day or three to die after being confirmed. So if we go back a few days to Jan 23, the world had 900 confirmed cases, and I'm thinking the deaths from today were confirmed before or around Jan 23, which would mean this virus kills at a rate closer to 10 percent. Anyone agree with this logic?

Please shoot this idea full of holes. I really don't want it to be true.

Not to mention only 63 recovered, what's up with that?
I personally think the situation is so confused currently no definite conclusions can be drawn other than the fact that this virus can cause fatalities.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I think you could benefit from the masks as long as they are N95 certified.

However you need to understand that viruses were discovered because they pass through filters. For many years they were known as non filterable infectious agents.

Having said that the infecting virus is often suspended in a droplet. So current thinking is that masks may limit viral infectious spread by up to 50%. Most of this data come from influenza studies. I have linked CDC guidelines for you. However we have virtually no data on this new virus.

It goes without saying that hand washing is of great importance.

Good luck on your trip home.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Most of those N95 masks can, under the right circumstances, block most liquid droplets. These droplets are large particles, significantly larger than the virus particles themselves. Read what the FDA says about N95 masks and respirators.

These masks seem to be somewhat effective if worn by patients already infected with influenza virus. They block some transmission of virus to other people who aren't infected. Less is known about how well these masks are at protecting uninfected people. Few people take that to mean they shouldn't bother with a mask, taking the approach that a mask is better than nothing.

It is assumed that Coronavirus is transmitted by coughed or sneezed liquid droplets, similar to influenza. Until we know differently, that assumption is reasonable. It is however important to remember that nothing at all is known about how well masks block liquid droplets containing Coronavirus.

Also, nothing at all is known about how well hand sanitizers kill this virus. The FDA has recently admonished the makers of Purell that it must stop false claims that ethanol-based hand sanitizers are effective at eliminating Ebola, MRSA, or the flu. See the full text of the FDA warning here.

Last edited:
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
We regret to inform you that your request to rejoin civilization has been rejected. Chinatown wasn't good enough for you and now you wanna put everybody else at risk. Nuh-uh, no thank you. You stay right where you are until this blows over. We got enough problems.

Good luck.

Just kidding, stay safe ... but stay in Cali when you get back. :D

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Most of those N95 masks can, under the right circumstances, block most liquid droplets. These droplets are large particles, significantly larger than the virus particles themselves. Read what the FDA says about N95 masks and respirators.

These masks seem to be somewhat effective if worn by patients already infected with influenza virus. They block some transmission of virus to other people who aren't infected. Less is known about how well these masks are at protecting uninfected people. Few people take that to mean they shouldn't bother with a mask, taking the approach that a mask is better than nothing.

It is assumed that Coronavirus is transmitted by coughed or sneezed liquid droplets, similar to influenza. Until we know differently, that assumption is reasonable. It is however important to remember that nothing at all is known about how well masks block liquid droplets containing Coronavirus.

Also, nothing at all is known about how well hand sanitizers kill this virus. The FDA has recently admonished the makers of Purell that it must stop false claims that ethanol-based hand sanitizers are effective at eliminating Ebola, MRSA, or the flu. See the full text of the FDA warning here.
Your point about hand sanitizers is well taken. Good old fashioned soap and water is the best advice. The problem is, it is not always readily available, so one just has to hope that it is better than nothing.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis