Not my posting!!! Sorry if it’s not allowed

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
I just saw this and thought there’s someone here that may part with some cash!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
That is an insanely good value. A few members here have described them as the best speaker they've ever heard. Whatever improvements Jim made to the SS 9.5, I can only guess that it is a fairly incremental step up, along with a more complex cabinet design.

If I had 5Large to blow right now, I'd drive off to AZ and make those mine!

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
That is an insanely good value. A few members here have described them as the best speaker they've ever heard. Whatever improvements Jim made to the SS 9.5, I can only guess that it is a fairly incremental step up, along with a more complex cabinet design.

I messaged the poster and suggested he advertise them over here... then I couldn’t wait and posted them myself. I could buy them right now but my wife would probably take just one of them in the divorce to spite me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan

I can attest to the SB 9.5 woofer being incredibly smooth out to a high crossover and reaches very low.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
They don't tell us what the Woofers are used on the SS8, just dual 8", with the Accuton and the Raal; vs the single Satori 9.5", AT Mid, and Satori Be Tweet.
Other than that, the 8 is a 4 ohm design, 86dB sensitivity, and he recommends 100w amplification. the 9.5 is 6 ohm, 87dB sensitivity, and 150w.

At the end of the day, if I were buying new, it would be 5 ea 9.5s for my bed layer. :p

But back to my point, and knowing Dennis’ voicing and XOs... I think these two will sound more similar than not.
And for this Cat’s asking price of $4350, I think @Pogre should drive over and audition these at the very least!
:cool:

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
They don't tell us what the Woofers are used on the SS8, just dual 8", with the Accuton and the Raal; vs the single Satori 9.5", AT Mid, and Satori Be Tweet.
Other than that, the 8 is a 4 ohm design, 86dB sensitivity, and he recommends 100w amplification. the 9.5 is 6 ohm, 87dB sensitivity, and 150w.

At the end of the day, if I were buying new, it would be 5 ea 9.5s for my bed layer. :p

But back to my point, and knowing Dennis’ voicing and XOs... I think these two will sound more similar than not.
And for this Cat’s asking price of $4350, I think @Pogre should drive over and audition these at the very least!
Not sure how much different these would sound from your Phil3's!
The open rear of the Phil3's mids and highs would undoubtedly make a clear difference that I think would favor the Phil3 in a room with conventional walls behind the speakers.
It is a shame that Salk does not provide off-axis measurements.
As much as I like the TL bass, I am not going to give the nod for bass to he SS8's without finding out more!
The SS8 is more conventional in appearance than the Phil3, FWIW.
The SS8 has a 1 dB sensitivity advantage.
I don't know what the limiting factor of the Phil3's is for SPL. I suspect that is why they went to the Be tweeter over the RAAL for the 9.5, but I don't know for certain that The RAAL imposes an effective SPL limit.

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Not sure how much different these would sound from your Phil3's!
The open rear of the Phil3's mids and highs would undoubtedly make a clear difference that I think would favor the Phil3 in a room with conventional walls behind the speakers.
It is a shame that Salk does not provide off-axis measurements.
As much as I like the TL bass, I am not going to give the nod for bass to he SS8's without finding out more!
The SS8 is more conventional in appearance than the Phil3, FWIW.
The SS8 has a 1 dB sensitivity advantage.
I don't know what the limiting factor of the Phil3's is for SPL. I suspect that is why they went to the Be tweeter over the RAAL for the 9.5, but I don't know for certain that The RAAL imposes an effective SPL limit.
For lack of a better description, the SS9.5 is a... distillation... of the Phil 3. ;)
The story I heard from Jim was that the Phils were Dennis' response to the SS8, especially he cost of it. So between the Phil 3 and the SS8, I would expect perhaps a subtle difference here or there, but nothing groosly significant.

I think the Raals do have some limitations in power handling, and thus peak SPL. What that is, I couldn't say for certain (for the 64-10... have never seen a data sheet). But I do know based on a conversation with another designer, that the 70-20XR is a more powerful version, and more on par with the Satori Be Tweet in terms of its performance. The 70-10 is an obvious step above the 64-10... and considering the price difference between those two models, I feel comfortable in the assumption it is a meaningful upgrade. The 70-20XR Can hold it's own against a 3-way speaker with 2 of those Satori 9.5s, and 2 Satori Mids.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
For lack of a better description, the SS9.5 is a... distillation... of the Phil 3. ;)
The story I heard from Jim was that the Phils were Dennis' response to the SS8, especially he cost of it. So between the Phil 3 and the SS8, I would expect perhaps a subtle difference here or there, but nothing groosly significant.

I think the Raals do have some limitations in power handling, and thus peak SPL. What that is, I couldn't say for certain (for the 64-10... have never seen a data sheet). But I do know based on a conversation with another designer, that the 70-20XR is a more powerful version, and more on par with the Satori Be Tweet in terms of its performance. The 70-10 is an obvious step above the 64-10... and considering the price difference between those two models, I feel comfortable in the assumption it is a meaningful upgrade. The 70-20XR Can hold it's own against a 3-way speaker with 2 of those Satori 9.5s, and 2 Satori Mids.
The Phil 3s were the best speaker to cost ratio I've heard. Saying the preformed above their price point was an understatement. The bass alignment is so tight.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

Omg how do I come up with 4k like, tomorrow?!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
He didn't say you had to buy them, just audition them!
Ha. Wait til you hear your first set. Soon right? ;)
I can’t wait to hear your impressions. And then you’ll be looking for ways to climb the ladder... Song 3A, BeATs... :p

As was the case with me... to hear a pair is to buy a pair!

Cheers!

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Ha. Wait til you hear your first set. Soon right? ;)
I can’t wait to hear your impressions. And then you’ll be looking for ways to climb the ladder... Song 3A, BeATs... :p

As was the case with me... to hear a pair is to buy a pair!

Cheers!
I'm auditioning a set of Song3's on the 30th. I'm excited to hear them. I hope they live up to the hype. I guess if I really wanted to climb the Salk ladder, these SS8's would be a steal. I'd need to have them refinished as the wife really likes the grey burst finishes she's seen. ;)

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I suspect the accuton mids might be too revealing for my musical tastes. Jim has even suggested that I could still go with the original bamboo coned mids for my music.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I suspect the accuton mids might be too revealing for my musical tastes. Jim has even suggested that I could still go with the original bamboo coned mids for my music.
I'd say that bad recordings more so than genre would be the issue. The Eaton in my Songs definitely made me hear some of my recordings differently. I've heard both versions of the Tang Band and had liked them.

Last edited:
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I could buy them right now but my wife would probably take just one of them in the divorce to spite me!
Each having one speaker might be reason enough to get back together.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I suspect the accuton mids might be too revealing for my musical tastes.
I've heard those mids in a couple of DIY designs. It's a level worth changing your musical tastes.

I think @Pogre should drive over and audition these at the very least!
The first time I heard speakers that outclassed mine by a country mile, I couldn't listen to my system for a month afterward. Auditioning stuff you can't afford is punishing. It would be better for him to move two states away. :D

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
They have been described to me as very "revealing", some say too much so that it makes the music sound etched. Whatever that means to them... When I hear that, I think of fine crystal: delicate clarity and superior detail, which is what I heard the time I heard an all Accuton system. :)

If you find you enjoy what you hear, regardless of the pedigree of the driver, all I can say is "congratulations." I hope you enjoy them!!!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The first time I heard speakers that outclassed mine by a country mile, I couldn't listen to my system for a month afterward. Auditioning stuff you can't afford is punishing. It would be better for him to move two states away.
It would be less expensive for him to just buy them then, rather than move! :cool:

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
They have been described to me as very "revealing", some say too much so that it makes the music sound etched. Whatever that means to them... When I hear that, I think of fine crystal: delicate clarity and superior detail, which is what I heard the time I heard an all Accuton system. :)

If you find you enjoy what you hear, regardless of the pedigree of the driver, all I can say is "congratulations." I hope you enjoy them!!!
Between my audition this coming week and Axpona in a few months time I'll find something that works for me. I was kinda blown away by the Paradigm Premier 800F's when I heard them, and by all accounts, the Salks are more comparable to the higher Paradigm lines, so it will be interesting to hear.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The first time I heard speakers that outclassed mine by a country mile, I couldn't listen to my system for a month afterward. Auditioning stuff you can't afford is punishing. It would be better for him to move two states away. :D
This is my thinking. If I go listen to them I'll either do something stupid that I can't afford or go into a depression because my current speakers will sound like crap afterwards.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis