What speaker setup to use

C

Chomp2012

Audiophyte
Hi
I am currently building a house with a small theatre room 4x4m. My current system is
Yamaha - RX-V2083
2 x Yamaha ns777
4 x Yamaha ns333
1 x Yamaha cs444
2 x Yamaha yst300
In my new theatre I don’t really have room to use the bookshelf speakers and was thinking of replacing them with 4 ceiling speakers. But with Atmos availability I’m really unsure if I should setup a 5.2.2 or 5.2.4 or just remain 7.2.

5.2.2 would be 3 front channels, 2 ceiling speakers over the couch as the surrounds then 2 ceiling speakers in the middle of the room as the presence speakers ( I understand Atmos requires surrounds and presence speakers at different heights)

5.2.4 would have 5 front channels with 2 bookshelves used as the surrounds with virtual cinema front turned on. Then the 4 ceilings as the presence. But would virtual cinema front be worthwhile?

7.2 obviously just replacing the 4 bookshelf’s with the four ceilings.
I’m not that clued up on this stuff and want to achieve the best I can for my options.

any help would be great.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Hi
I am currently building a house with a small theatre room 4x4m. My current system is
Yamaha - RX-V2083
2 x Yamaha ns777
4 x Yamaha ns333
1 x Yamaha cs444
2 x Yamaha yst300
In my new theatre I don’t really have room to use the bookshelf speakers and was thinking of replacing them with 4 ceiling speakers. But with Atmos availability I’m really unsure if I should setup a 5.2.2 or 5.2.4 or just remain 7.2.

5.2.2 would be 3 front channels, 2 ceiling speakers over the couch as the surrounds then 2 ceiling speakers in the middle of the room as the presence speakers ( I understand Atmos requires surrounds and presence speakers at different heights)

5.2.4 would have 5 front channels with 2 bookshelves used as the surrounds with virtual cinema front turned on. Then the 4 ceilings as the presence. But would virtual cinema front be worthwhile?

7.2 obviously just replacing the 4 bookshelf’s with the four ceilings.
I’m not that clued up on this stuff and want to achieve the best I can for my options.

any help would be great.
Can’t speak to virtual but in the past I’ve found that kind of thing hokey. IMO the room is too small for 7ch, and you should have 5-6’ behind the LP for that to work. Also. I would not bother with surrounds and heights(NOT presence) both on/in the ceiling. As you mentioned, you do need both and I wouldn’t mix them.
Also 4 Atmos speakers would be hard to fit as much as a 7ch bed layer, unless you can move off the wall but with only 12’ of depth. I don’t think it’ll fit. SO, IMO I would try for a good 5.x.2 with the tops at about 3 or 4’ in front of the LP.
Also, maybe consider a couple PB 1000’s too. IMO a pretty good subwoofer upgrade over the Yamahas for a small room.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis