N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
Any opinions to share? I haven't seen them mentioned. I'm looking for duals for a 2 channel system in my living room. I have 5 black subs, but want to go white, or perhaps a walnut finish.

The Cantons on A4L are priced well. Of course, I look at the PB-1000s in gloss white, but if I can save dough, I'm into it. Also- I want sealed for the size factor. Not looking for incredibly deep extension as I will only do music, and don't listen to stuff like EDM or pipe organ music.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Where have you been!
Do a forum search for Canton and my name and you will see tons of comments (along with many others)!
However, my quick & dirty summary is to try and get the models with the ceramic tweeter if your budget allows! Below that pricepoint I would generally reccomend other speakers like teh Infinity or JBL (when on discounted).

So, for the ceramic tweeter, we are talking Chrono SL 5X6.2 (where the number in the "X" position will distinguish between the size and type (tower, center, etc).
Any of the Ventos (which are a level up from the Chrono SL) have the ceramic tweeter unless they are one of the older models (A4L still has a few to sell). Just check the spec to make sure "ceramic" is in the discription
I have not heard any Canton above the Vento. My understanding is the Vento Reference have nicer drivers and I have to believe they are better, but I have not experienced the Vento Reference.
If you are interested in a pair of bookshelf speakers for surrounds for $650, this is a very good deal:

Last edited:
N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
Oh, I'm with you on the books. Where have I been? Single handedly unpacking vand decorating my new house. I'll probably end up with the Ventos, but I've dropped a lot on the new move ( well into the 5 figures just on new furniture), so I'm probably just going to run with the paradigms for a little while.

I was wondering about the 10" and 12" subs. The 10" specs similarly to the SB 1000, and the 12" exceeds it, although I don't really feel like I need dual 12's for a strict music setup.

I absolutely acknowledge you're the Canton whisperer here:D

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
although I don't really feel like I need dual 12's for a strict music setup.
I thought we were friends, NorCal. What u talkin' about?!

:p

Duals will give you more even bass throughout the listening area. Size and output are more up the room size you want to fill.

I don't know that I could ever go back to a single sub! :)

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
I thought we were friends, NorCal. What u talkin' about?!

:p

Duals will give you more even bass throughout the listening area. Size and output are more up the room size you want to fill.

I don't know that I could ever go back to a single sub! :)
Yeah, I have a VTF-3 in there right now, and it's output is just fine- more than I need in there actually. The coverage though- it's why I want duals (and why I've fealt that way about duals for a long time). It's why I had quads in my previous HT room (going back to duals in my new spot- smaller room, but it's totally enclosable, and within my master suite:cool:). I do have one room with a single- it's 10x10, with a PB 1000 in it, adjacent to the kitchen for having something on while I cook or to keep my 2.5 y.o. occupied).

The specs on the A4L website says the 10" performs the same as the SB1000. It's bottom ported, and slightly bigger (think in between a PB and an SB, volumetrically). Even if its low end number is down 6dB I'd be ok with that given they'll never see an LFE track.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
The specs on the A4L website says the 10" performs the same as the SB1000. It's bottom ported, and slightly bigger (think in between a PB and an SB, volumetrically). Even if its low end number is down 6dB I'd be ok with that given they'll never see an LFE track.
I would take Canton's specs with a grain of salt.
For example, the speaker below has a 7" woofer and the specifications state that they are -3 dB at 27Hz. While I do like the performance of Canton's drivers, it is no 7" JL Audio subwoofer driver and I cannot believe it actually provides that type of extension. I don't know of anyone who has one of their subs. You might speak with Mark at A4L and see if he is familiar with SVS subs and can comment on how the Cantons might compare

My sense of most European subs is that they are fairly tame compared to US ID subs. I think that because there are typically more people living in closer quarters where deep strong bass would cause more problems. Homes on 2-3 acres like much of the USA has are pretty rare.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis