8K Video and AVR pass through

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
How far out is 8K video before it gets released to the masses and AVR support to pass through 8K? I'm nearing retirement and I dont want to spend a whole pile of cash anymore at this point. I suspect that prices will drop in the used 4K market which I'm currently dabbling in when 8K gets rolled out. My second system has a 4K player with two HDMI outputs, one for audio/video, the 2nd for audio so I'm able to get the high def audio codecs out from that and 4K display from the display. I've been lucky in purchasing used AVRs with everything working and experiencing no hickups. I'm now looking at the the used 4K market.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
How far out is 8K video before it gets released to the masses and AVR support to pass through 8K? I'm nearing retirement and I dont want to spend a whole pile of cash anymore at this point. I suspect that prices will drop in the used 4K market which I'm currently dabbling in when 8K gets rolled out. My second system has a 4K player with two HDMI outputs, one for audio/video, the 2nd for audio so I'm able to get the high def audio codecs out from that and 4K display from the display. I've been lucky in purchasing used AVRs with everything working and experiencing no hickups. I'm now looking at the the used 4K market.
MCode, may be able to shed some light on this subject. Me being retired I’am in that champ also, used or Refurbished or deeply discounted. Why pay retail when great deals can be had in the refurbished or used market.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
I wouldn't worry about 8K unless you're going purchase a massive display. There might be AVR's with 8K pass through, but they will passing through very little 8K content for the foreseeable future. I doubt there's a future market for 8K optical disc players and 8K blu ray disc considering the fact that optical disc is dying. I would keep my eyes on streaming companies to see where the 8K market is heading.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
BTW, I would be more interested in new, future display technologies like Micro-LED, which will be modular displays with 16K resolution.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General

"
Netflix doesn’t care about 4K nor 8K

Back in 2016, upgraded 4K TVs with HDR were released with 8K TVs being a concept only. When Netflix was asked its two cents about 8K, Netflix’s Chief Product Officer said, “The future of TV is in better pixels, not just more of them.” He added, “8K is only interesting if you’re going to sit too close to the TV.”

Fast forward to 2019, and we still haven’t heard anything from Netflix.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Let alone bandwidth requirements for 8k.....where I live 4k isn't even possible to stream....just another consideration.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
If you spend about 13 seconds searching Google about issues with 4K, you will see that 8K is a LONG ways off. 4K isn't figured out. Not even close. Yes, people can shoot it, edit it, encode it down to a streamable rate that looks great, but once it is decompressed and pulled out of a device at 18Gb/s, it suddenly is hitting some major cabling barriers that haven't been figured out except for the most standard setups. TV on top of a component with a single cable? That seems to work. Through a receiver but everything is really close? More tricky, but still very standard.

A projector 30 feet away?
Remote located sources?
Multiple displays?
Splitting?

All of these items are a nightmare in the 4K/60 world. Quality gear remains extremely expensive and cheaper gear is questionable in terms of both reliability and if it works in the first place. Tons of people are making claims of 18Gb/s support, which don't measure up in the real world. But, the biggest issue seems to be the cabling. The cabling, the cabling, the cabling! 18Gb/s is about 5 times what 1080p needed. It's much faster than what home networks support. It's beyond the rated capabilities of Cat-6 cabling (not really in shorter distances!). So, to make 18Gb/s cables, they are working right on the edge of what works.

Now, multiply all this 4K garbage by 2.5x to get 48Gb/s which is the HDMI 2.1 standard for 8K video and just hang your head in shame for even considering this post.
:D :D :D :D

Not really, but you get the idea. While I think the HDMI 2.1 specification for 48Gb/s has some level of finalization, they don't have equipment to certify 48Gb/s cables at this point to that specification. Any gear rated to 48Gb/s isn't actually HDMI 2.1 certified. Not like HDMI Premium 18Gb/s cables are. And those already have issues. So, we are still phenomenally early in the 48Gb/s game. Anyone who considers that pathway at this point is playing on the bleeding edge, and they will be let for money as well as actual blood and tears over these next few years.

Spend half as much now on 4K. Wait five or six years, then pay the same amount again and get 48Gb/s support that actually has some testing and quality behind it.

Or bleed.
Your choice.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think you're wondering when 8K becomes ubiquitous like 4K is now everywhere?

I would say 10 more years. :D

As for 4K contents, most contents aren't even MASTERED in 4K.

For example, the last 2 Avengers movies were shot in 6.5K Digital Cameras, but then were mastered in 2K digital.

So the 4K Blu-Rays were from the 2K digital masters, which means they are just UPSCALED from 2K to 4K.

IOW, most 4K contents are really just FAKE 4K. :D

So what's the point of 8K if most contents are still digitally mastered in 2K today?

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
I’m done with upgrades for HDTV, 4K is as good as I’ll need

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General

"Last week, CES 2020 concluded without a single announcement about a new UHD Blu-ray player. FlatpanelsHD did not even see a Blu-ray player at CES 2020. Perhaps we did not pay enough attention but we were not the only ones."

To all the delusional 8K advocates, so much for 8K UHD Blu Ray players. The future doesn't look good.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
8K is nothing more than planned obsolescence.

This. People need to understand that while 4k is neat, the HDR stuff is what's up. Even then, I've not been inclined to buy a new PJ to support it just yet.

8K is just another ploy to sell more TVs/projectors. Kind of like 3D.

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
I'm just wondering what the next "trick" with 8k will be? Having just purchased a 65" qled 4k hdr tv I couldn't tell 4.k from 1080 if I was pressed. I've switched back and forth and really can't tell. I can tell HDR! Especially in the blacks. Unless there's another trick with 8k or you go really big, I'm not sure anyone would notice a difference. Also, at this point we're still a couple years out from 4k being the standard over the air transmission (I know a few cities are scheduled, and where I'm at we're on the 2nd wave).

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I wouldn't worry about 8K unless you're going purchase a massive display. There might be AVR's with 8K pass through, but they will passing through very little 8K content for the foreseeable future. I doubt there's a future market for 8K optical disc players and 8K blu ray disc considering the fact that optical disc is dying. I would keep my eyes on streaming companies to see where the 8K market is heading.
You know consumer 8k is only 7640 or something what a scam , I aight tonjust keep all my junk TVs and hdtv trube TVs until they die . By then 8k will be affordable and 12k or 11,249 x 8400 will come out .

Reptilians invading in year 2025
Tesla spoken to them

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
BTW, I would be more interested in new, future display technologies like Micro-LED, which will be modular displays with 16K resolution.
Unless Nikolai Tesla was raised from the dead I don’t see any possible way to stream 16k especially on WiFi ,/ what good are al ll these pixels if no native content exists ?
Micro led sounds amazing like a mini mi tv ? Nano pixels

Is anything really going to be that good ? My 4k tv sucks if you seen my post . And I will not get another one even if I find a Job , 16k will only be 15,369 pixels or something it’s more like 15k another gimmick .

Tesla spoken to them

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
8K is nothing more than planned obsolescence.

You know 8k tv existed ages ago way before first 4k hit the market , and consumers never get true 4000 or 8000 pixel displays always much Lower.
Was the first 8k display well over 10years ago ? It’s been around for a long time and still just now showing up in stores . Yes planned obsolescence greedy whale sobs .

Tesla spoken to them

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If nobody cares about 8K, then why does it seem like so many people want to make sure their new AVR or AVP has HDMI 2.1? :D

Lately I’ve been looking a lot into movies that are mastered in 4K. I’ve found that probably 75% of the new movies are still mastered in only 2K (1080p). And we’re talking blockbusters like Avengers Franchise, Aquaman, Iron Man Trilogy, Captain America Trilogy, Thor Trilogy, Harry Potter Franchise, etc.

Thus, most blockbusters are still being mastered in 2K, everyone has a 4K TV, and many people are asking for HDMI 2.1 for 8K. But many people are also against 8K since there doesn’t seem to be any 8K Blu-Ray players.

With most new blockbusters still being mastered in 2K, it’s very difficult to see how they would make 8K blu-ray!

Are they actually going to master the movies in 8K?

Or will they continue to master most movies in 2K and make a bunch of FAKE 8K blu-rays like they are making a bunch of FAKE 4K blu-rays right now?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
You know consumer 8k is only 7640 or something what a scam , I aight tonjust keep all my junk TVs and hdtv trube TVs until they die . By then 8k will be affordable and 12k or 11,249 x 8400 will come out .

Tesla spoken to them
Dude. It’s called rounding up...

8k is so much easier to say than, “hey check out my seven thousand six hundred forty TV!!!!!! Or even , man I love my seventy six forty. Way too many syllables... duh.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis