B

bucknutmd

Audiophyte
So the wife said ok... And I'm about to pull the trigger on my most recent system upgrade which is a GIANT leap from my 10 inch Klipsch subwoofer. I spoke at length with SVS and read reviews wherever I could find, including on the main site. Still unsure of how much power it actually takes to give good bass though to make my chest thump.

I have an open concept house with stairwell to the upstairs behind living room. First floor is 10 foot ceilings, I can close a sliding farm door to a cathedral ceiling room. So let's say I need to fill 15,000-20,000 cubic feet. Is that a rediculous task or will this do the trick? Would PB 2000s do just as well?

Any thoughts from folks who have made open concept house bass work would be great.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I think PB-3000s would work quite a bit better than 2000s in that space. The closer your listening position is to the subwoofers, the less you need to worry about the volumetric space of the room you are keeping them in. They are not going to fully charge a space like that with powerful bass, but if you are seated close to them, they should give you a pretty good bass sensation.

B

bucknutmd

Audiophyte
I think PB-3000s would work quite a bit better than 2000s in that space. The closer your listening position is to the subwoofers, the less you need to worry about the volumetric space of the room you are keeping them in. They are not going to fully charge a space like that with powerful bass, but if you are seated close to them, they should give you a pretty good bass sensation.
Thanks! Obviously I could send back if not enough bass is felt, I just figured I would try to get it right the first go round considering I have to break the 2k sub budget to go this route. Much appreciated.

vader540is

vader540is

Full Audioholic
Thanks! Obviously I could send back if not enough bass is felt, I just figured I would try to get it right the first go round considering I have to break the 2k sub budget to go this route. Much appreciated.
IMO SVS isn't known for mid-base chest thump that you're looking for.

You should check out

Tom V , the owner, is the V in SVS so he definitely knows about speakers and subs! Really really big subs!

W

wje2

Audioholic Intern
I'd also recommend check out PSA too. While I've never heard or owned their subs, we all know Tom V. is a very good designer. Plus, don't overlook the used market. There's a guy in my area that has 2 PSA V15 subs available for sale. I don't know his price, but considering those subs were only about $900, each when new, the price could be quite viable. This is in northern Virginia.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Nobody has mentioned Hsu? They're not as pretty as SVS but they perform at that level for less. I don't think a pair of VTF-3 MK5s (price in link is for 2) would be overkill for you.

I love me some SVS tho. @shadyJ how do the PB3000s compare to the VTF-3s? I'm only assuming the 15" Hsus would fill the space better because size, but I haven't spent any time with the 3000s.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The power only is meaningful if you translate that into spl, I think that sort of chest thump is largely about a high spl as well as capable gear. Or an eq curve to accentuate such at lower levels....but damn that's a huge room. In any case dual PB3000 will be a lot different from a 10" Klipsch!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I love me some SVS tho. @shadyJ how do the PB3000s compare to the VTF-3s? I'm only assuming the 15" Hsus would fill the space better because size, but I haven't spent any time with the 3000s.
The 3000s are pretty close to the VTF-3s. The 3000s have a bit more output around 20-25Hz but the VTF-3s have a bit more around 16Hz. Aside from that its very close.

W

wje2

Audioholic Intern
If you were somewhat local to Virginia, this is what I mentioned from PSA. A pair of V15 subs for $1,000 - it appears the guy takes really good care of his gear.
PSA V15.JPG

B

bucknutmd

Audiophyte
Hmmm... Looks like I have a lot to consider. The terrific thing is that they seem to have good return policies. I live on the gulf coast, so Virginia would be a great journey compared to the online direct companies. I do appreciate the thought though! Based on everything I'm going to just order these and see... That's what the sales guy at SVS said to do. Guess they don't get many returns if they say just go for it and try.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hmmm... Looks like I have a lot to consider. The terrific thing is that they seem to have good return policies. I live on the gulf coast, so Virginia would be a great journey compared to the online direct companies. I do appreciate the thought though! Based on everything I'm going to just order these and see... That's what the sales guy at SVS said to do. Guess they don't get many returns if they say just go for it and try.
Plus, an in-home trial in the room you're actually using the speakers in is best.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
One of the things I love about SVS. Great company.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis