Thought on Elite Screens or suggest otherwise

R

Rtekkam

Enthusiast
Hi All,
Looking for some feedback on projector screens. I am building your home theater a new one. I wanted a projector screen that will acoustically handle the speakers behind it. A friend of mine has this specific screen. Please see the information of the screen below. The cost of the screen is around $700.

Elite Screens Spectrum, 125-inch Diag 16:9, Moiré-Free Electric Motorized Sound Transparent Perforated Weave 4K Ready Drop Down Projector Screen, ELECTRIC125H-AUHD

Appreciate any thoughts on the screen. Or please suggest any other good brand that provides the same features that is acoustic material. Also, the screen should be motorized. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Hi All,
Looking for some feedback on projector screens. I am building your home theater a new one. I wanted a projector screen that will acoustically handle the speakers behind it. A friend of mine has this specific screen. Please see the information of the screen below. The cost of the screen is around $700.

Elite Screens Spectrum, 125-inch Diag 16:9, Moiré-Free Electric Motorized Sound Transparent Perforated Weave 4K Ready Drop Down Projector Screen, ELECTRIC125H-AUHD

Appreciate any thoughts on the screen. Or please suggest any other good brand that provides the same features that is acoustic material. Also, the screen should be motorized. Thanks in advance.

VuTec and Stewart would be my choice, but they get a little pricier.

Is the room going to have light control? What projector? What speakers?

R

Rtekkam

Enthusiast
Projector is an Epson - Home Cinema 2150 1080p

The theatre is its own separate room. Darkened walls and carpet.. some ambient LED lighting along the crown moulding.

System set up
Pioneer elite 84 taxi
F/L defttech bp-7004
Center- defttech
Surround - elacs ub 5
Rear surround- Klipsch rm 41
Sub- svs sb2000

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Projector is an Epson - Home Cinema 2150 1080p

The theatre is its own separate room. Darkened walls and carpet.. some ambient LED lighting along the crown moulding.

System set up
Pioneer elite 84 taxi
F/L defttech bp-7004
Center- defttech
Surround - elacs ub 5
Rear surround- Klipsch rm 41
Sub- svs sb2000

I'm not sure di/bi polar speakers, like the deftechs, will work behind a screen. Given just the amount of space the need from the rear wall is an issue, 3 to 4'. Add in the need for rear wave having to pass back thru the screen, it wont arrive at the listener at the intended time. The center should work behind it.

Maybe @BMXTRIX can chime in on the screen itself.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
All of the low cost acoustically transparent screens are woven fabric vs micro perf vinyl. $700 is a lot of money to spend on fabric that may also deteriorate the image. Even more when you consider you only get a couple years of warranty - which is not something I would want on an electric screen.

But $700 is a lot less than what the big names are charging. There is a 3x-4x multiple on brand name vs Internet Direct prices, electric would be even more - but the warranty is much longer, too.

I am a DIYer, so where I did not pay for a fancy screen (Stewart Cima Perforado for 2nd theater), I sanded and painted a wall - and my latest attempt (I sanded like crazy) the wall appears to be perfectly flat. Just normal valspar paint and primer and a roller, and a lot of sanding.

So that's my perspective, I'm willing to do a good bit of work to make my own screen, but for AT screens, they just are expensive, period. Adding in electric rollers, and you are really talking about a very premium product.

$700 is a lot of money to spend on fabric.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
DO NOT BUY AN ELECTRIC SCREEN!!!!

This is a dedicated room and you should be looking for a decent quality screen. For that matter, you should be looking for a much better projector as well.

If you have to have speakers behind the screen, then I wouldn't hesitate to recommend SeymourAV who has specialized in AT screens for years. I wouldn't get a Stewart screen in almost any circumstance unless I needed something really crazy. But, Seymour is a good brand for long life AT screens and they almost invented the woven screen category which so many others are now on board with.

No chance I would recommend the one that you listed though. This is because of screen curling which will give that screen a lifespan of just a few years or so at the most before you get waves and curling of the material.

You can also just get raw material from Seymour to do your own frame and screen which may be a great option as well.

DO NOT BUY MOTORIZED! If you do go motorized, you really have to either suck up the quality drop with waves and curling, or you will want to get a tab-tensioned screen which adds a pretty penny to the overall cost.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis