Why mainstream brand subs so wimpy ?

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
I'm sorry, I was wrong, I have an SC4000, not an SC2000. It's attached to my desktop PC right now. Though I've considered selling it and picking up an RSL Speedwoofer 10s to replace it.
I can’t imagine that would be much improvement for near field production...

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
I do hope they all raise their game, it's not that hard and if they had done so from the beginning they may have made the whole DIY/ID thing not possible.....but that's corporate decision making for the most part.

ps I do wonder if they understood the attraction of lower bass capabilities at all.....
It’s not because they didn’t want to, or didn’t know but that retailers have size and weight limitations for shelf space. You also have to net the retailer more margin the more shelf space you take up, so even 10, and 12” models were too expensive. Not to mention the larger and heavier the more customers you scare off. Perfect Storm...

That said, some of these have ways around it. Klipsch has a large enough footprint that they can offer a 15 that you might not see in stores. SVS went the opposite direction by gradually inching up price and squeezing into BestBuy show rooms.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
It’s not because they didn’t want to, or didn’t know but that retailers have size and weight limitations for shelf space. You also have to net the retailer more margin the more shelf space you take up, so even 10, and 12” models were too expensive. Not to mention the larger and heavier the more customers you scare off. Perfect Storm...

That said, some of these have ways around it. Klipsch has a large enough footprint that they can offer a 15 that you might not see in stores. SVS went the opposite direction by gradually inching up price and squeezing into BestBuy show rooms.
I’ve never seen svs in any bestbuy in Akron or canton , Ohio. Fail

Reptilians invading in year 2025
Tesla spoken to them

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
I’ve never seen svs in any bestbuy in Akron or canton , Ohio. Fail

Reptilians invading in year 2025
Tesla spoken to them
They are either on display at a Magnolia Showroom, or they can be ordered through them, which is a waste of time. But, alas, they are officially a retail sub maker. I think this was their plan for a while, and their prices reflect that decision. Other ID brands, PSA, Rythmic, HSU, and others have more bang for the buck for what I look for in a subwoofer.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
The mainstream sub brands make subs that people are willing to buy. The companies that make large subs are niche brands by comparison. The large manufacturers outsell them by a wide margin. Few people are willing to tolerate a large subs that takes up a lot of space, is an eyesore, and also bothers the neighbors when in use.
You mean WAF??? :p

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis