Ceiling Speakers HELP..

B

BC STEREO

Audiophyte
New member and glad to be able to post here.

I have a complete Klipsch 7.2 System with four in ceiling Reference Premiere height speakers. I live in TX and the attic insulation is lacking and I need to Air Tight my attic and add a bunch of new cellulous insulation.
Part of the process to AIR TIGHT the attic, I have to seal up anything that penetrates the attic dry wall at can let the interior heated/cooled air out of the living space.
That will require me to make or purchase a Styrofoam enclosure to cover the back of each of the ceiling speakers and then seal that enclosure to the back of the ceiling dry wall. The box will be air tight and foam sealed to the back of the ceiling dry wall.

My question is:
Will enclosing the ceiling speaker have any detrimental effects on the speaker?
Will the enclosure box size be any consideration to be concerned about?

Thank You fore any advice and assistance.

Bill C

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
90+ Views and no comments? Anyone?
In theory they should have been enclosed in the first place. Most prominent CI manufacturers have back boxes for their inwall/ceiling speakers.

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Hi BC. I don’t think making a box will have much consequence. In the context of 7.x.4 system and what those speakers are doing, you shouldn’t notice anything. If anything, it might help bolster the low end, but I’m sure they’re crossed at 80 or higher anyway. I say go ahead and box em up. If you do end up with a bass bump, I’m sure audyssey will pull it down. Whose to say it won’t sound better as well?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
In theory they should habe been enclosed in the first place. Most prominent CI manufacturers have back boxes for their inwall/ceiling speakers.
And the ones that don’t are mainly designed as IB right?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
New member and glad to be able to post here.

I have a complete Klipsch 7.2 System with four in ceiling Reference Premiere height speakers. I live in TX and the attic insulation is lacking and I need to Air Tight my attic and add a bunch of new cellulous insulation.
Part of the process to AIR TIGHT the attic, I have to seal up anything that penetrates the attic dry wall at can let the interior heated/cooled air out of the living space.
That will require me to make or purchase a Styrofoam enclosure to cover the back of each of the ceiling speakers and then seal that enclosure to the back of the ceiling dry wall. The box will be air tight and foam sealed to the back of the ceiling dry wall.

My question is:
Will enclosing the ceiling speaker have any detrimental effects on the speaker?
Will the enclosure box size be any consideration to be concerned about?

Thank You fore any advice and assistance.

Bill C
All ceiling speakers should be enclosed. The box needs to be filled with Polyfill, but not compressed. The optimal size is determined by the T/S parameters of the driver, which you could measure with the Dayton woofer tester. However size is not critical unless it is too small. If you don't know, or can't measure the T/S parameters, then just don't make it too small. If you do you will have a nasty honk. I would make the volume of the back box no less than 0.5 cu.ft. Probably best to cross them 100 Hz to 120 Hz. I am able to measure the T/S parameters of my drivers. So the drivers are installed in their optimal sealed box.

You can see a couple of the boxes I made for mine.

Speaker installed.

Finished installed speaker.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis