Rear Speakers on their sides (rather than upright)?

N

Nostromo

Junior Audioholic
After changing the order once, I decided to go back to the Samsung HW Q90R Soundbar with its standard rear speakers. They will be delivered and installed in 2 weeks.

The issue is that about the only spots where the rear speakers can be placed effectively and proportionately are tops of built-in furniture cabinets immediately behind the listening position. They'll be at the same level and same distance from the listener but rather high - top of doorway height. I got around this issue by deciding to position them tilting slightly downwards and turned towards the listening position using acoustic pads.

The only likely problem with that arrangement is that at 21 cm tall standing them upright in the space available between the shelves and ceiling could be rather tight. There is 26 cm space, but I have to allow for acoustic padding to act as tilting wedges. It may still be just about OK but if not, one possible solution is to place the rear speakers on their sides instead of the usual upright position. The trouble is that I was not sure (still not) if this will affect their functionality.

I asked Tech support at Samsung UK and they said that the rear speakers could be placed on their sides without problems but IMO they did not sound very convincing. Can anyone here advise, please?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
After changing the order once, I decided to go back to the Samsung HW Q90R Soundbar with its standard rear speakers. They will be delivered and installed in 2 weeks.

The issue is that about the only spots where the rear speakers can be placed effectively and proportionately are tops of built-in furniture cabinets immediately behind the listening position. They'll be at the same level and same distance from the listener but rather high - top of doorway height. I got around this issue by deciding to position them tilting slightly downwards and turned towards the listening position using acoustic pads.

The only likely problem with that arrangement is that at 21 cm tall standing them upright in the space available between the shelves and ceiling could be rather tight. There is 26 cm space, but I have to allow for acoustic padding to act as tilting wedges. It may still be just about OK but if not, one possible solution is to place the rear speakers on their sides instead of the usual upright position. The trouble is that I was not sure (still not) if this will affect their functionality.

I asked Tech support at Samsung UK and they said that the rear speakers could be placed on their sides without problems but IMO they did not sound very convincing. Can anyone here advise, please?
It all depends on the lobing error of the speakers, which is very much dependent on crossover design. All I can ell you it will switch the lobing error through 90 degrees. Generally the axis of the lobing error in the horizonanal pane and usually downward. At least that is always my aim. So putting the speaker on it side will put the lobing axis left if you put it on one side and right if you put it on the other side.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Your two satellite speakers' description: "Each Dolby Atmos-enabled wireless rear speaker features a forward facing full-range driver and a upward firing full-range driver powered by a built-in 35 watt amplifier." I assume the upfiring has something to do with its Atmos feature, so you'd need to keep them oriented so the upward firing driver works properly. The full range driver facing forward wouldn't matter as to orientation otherwise....

N

Nostromo

Junior Audioholic
Your two satellite speakers' description: "Each Dolby Atmos-enabled wireless rear speaker features a forward facing full-range driver and a upward firing full-range driver powered by a built-in 35 watt amplifier." I assume the upfiring has something to do with its Atmos feature, so you'd need to keep them oriented so the upward firing driver works properly. The full range driver facing forward wouldn't matter as to orientation otherwise....
Thanks. I guess that answers my question.

I may still get away with it in the normal upright position. There's 260 mm from the tops of the shelves on either side to the ceiling. The Q90R rear speakers are 210 mm tall; add 38 mm to the rear part for the acoustic wedges to allow the downward tilt and I'll still have just over a centimetre to play with. Not much, but probably enough.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Well I should have looked up that system first. What a totally miss begotten mess up of a contraption. My, my, things really are on the slide.

I have heard quite a few sound bars now as they seem to be populating suberbia faster then rabbits! They are all only marginally better than TV speakers, and in many aspects worse. The modus operandi seems to be small over driven tinny speakers covered up with a ghastly boomy sub crossed too high in a vain attempt at subterfuge.

It seems that particular item has a lot of connection/reliability issues even when paired with Samsung TVs.

My advice to OP. Do NOT open the box. Return immediately.

This is a fad that needs to die, but probably won't.

I advise a pair of good small bookshelves and a small little integrated amp with an optical connection to the TV. That would get you way further ahead.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis