What sub is best for me?

K

Kyle Braunlich

Junior Audioholic
I have finally given in to the advice to get new subs for my home theater rather then getting new speakers.
I currently have a definitive technology setup with a Denon receiver.
Front left/center/right: definitive sm55 bookshelfs
Surround left/right: definitve sr9040s
Top middle Atmos: Pro monitor 1000s
Subwoofers: 2 pro sub 1000s
Reciever: Denon AVR-x1400h

I am in a 9x19ft room, and looking to spend $1000 or less. I am looking to get dual subs as well. Thanks for any help.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
How high are your ceilings? Is the room open to other areas?
Overall room VOLUME is more important than square footage... Low frequency waves are omnidirectional, they will go wherever they want! :)

For 2 subs under 1K?
If your room is closed off, with 8' ceilings, you are just under 1400'^3. I would look at Hsu, VTF2 would be very strong in that space. These will likely be your best value for good, high quality Woofage.

K

Kyle Braunlich

Junior Audioholic
How high are your ceilings? Is the room open to other areas?
Overall room VOLUME is more important than square footage... Low frequency waves are omnidirectional, they will go wherever they want! :)

For 2 subs under 1K?
If your room is closed off, with 8' ceilings, you are just under 1400'^3. I would look at Hsu, VTF2 would be very strong in that space. These will likely be your best value for good, high quality Woofage.
Thanks for the advice I will check them out

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Wouldn't be hard to exceed your current subs. Price range? Total volume of space? Or is room sealed? How low do you want to go at what spl? Your current subs could of course work for your current needs....

K

Kyle Braunlich

Junior Audioholic
Wouldn't be hard to exceed your current subs. Price range? Total volume of space? Or is room sealed? How low do you want to go at what spl? Your current subs could of course work for your current needs....
Would like to keep it under $1000, better if lower. 9x19x8 but the roof has an angle on each side so I lose some volume. The room is sealed. I would like it to go as low as possible, I know 20hz is the goal range. I try to watch most movies at reference level calibrated at 75db when played at reference. I have always been told to upgrade my subs, do you think I will notice much of a change if I got new subs.
Thanks for the reply.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Would like to keep it under $1000, better if lower. 9x19x8 but the roof has an angle on each side so I lose some volume. The room is sealed. I would like it to go as low as possible, I know 20hz is the goal range. I try to watch most movies at reference level calibrated at 75db when played at reference. I have always been told to upgrade my subs, do you think I will notice much of a change if I got new subs.
Thanks for the reply.
Calibrating a sub to your volume control at 75dB doesn't mean it can achieve reference performance particularly....but I have no doubt an upgrade from those DefTec bass modules would be an upgrade....but if you do that make it a significant upgrade would be my suggestion. At least $500 per if not diy.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It's hard to call anything DefTec offers (especially currently) a "sub"

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The Hsus are the best option for the least. There are always other options. If you choose, you can get a pair of subs for just over your budget, now, that you can use in full knowledge that you bought some highly respectable gear.
If you want better, buy the best single sub you can now, and save to add a second matching one later.
Will the VTF 2s be better than the DTs? Ya. Big time.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
@Kyle Braunlich , I just wanted to point out that while DefTech speakers sound pretty good, they are notorious for fudging their specifications.
I suspect they do the same with their subwoofers, so you might consider that when you are comparing new options like Hsu against your DefTech sub.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
@Kyle Braunlich , I just wanted to point out that while DefTech speakers sound pretty good, they are notorious for fudging their specifications.
I suspect they do the same with their subwoofers, so you might consider that when you are comparing new options like Hsu against your DefTech sub.
That's a nice polite way of putting it....and certainly I wouldn't use as a result,, LOL

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I had a guy that sells DT tell me I should buy SVS instead. That’s all I needed.

K

Kyle Braunlich

Junior Audioholic
The Hsus are the best option for the least. There are always other options. If you choose, you can get a pair of subs for just over your budget, now, that you can use in full knowledge that you bought some highly respectable gear.
If you want better, buy the best single sub you can now, and save to add a second matching one later.
Will the VTF 2s be better than the DTs? Ya. Big time.
If I were to get one better sub now and a second later what would you recommend? Also, would it be ok to use the one new sub and one pro sub 1000 until I buy the second?
Thanks for the reply.

K

Kyle Braunlich

Junior Audioholic
Calibrating a sub to your volume control at 75dB doesn't mean it can achieve reference performance particularly....but I have no doubt an upgrade from those DefTec bass modules would be an upgrade....but if you do that make it a significant upgrade would be my suggestion. At least $500 per if not diy.
Any thoughts on particular subs to look at and why those choices?
Thanks for the help.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
The HSU VTF2 mk5 is what you probably want.

Good luck! :)

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Don't know where you are located, or interested in used (with warranty) but this available still

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
If I were to get one better sub now and a second later what would you recommend? Also, would it be ok to use the one new sub and one pro sub 1000 until I buy the second?
Thanks for the reply.
Dual subs right now: Hsu VTF 2 MK5

One better sub now and one later: Hsu VTF-3 MK5 or VTF-15H MK2

There would be no point in using one of your existing subs with a much better one. It will be completely dwarfed by any of the Hsu subs in both output and frequency response. Any of these Hsu subs will get you solid, usable bass down to 20 Hz with proper room placement.

For what It's worth, I used to have a Deftech Supercube 2000 in my theater system, which they (deftech) rate to 20 Hz. It had no usable output under 30 Hz. They rate the prosub 1000 to 18 Hz, which I highly doubt they're achieving based on the design and my previous experience with their subs.

K

Kyle Braunlich

Junior Audioholic
Dual subs right now: Hsu VTF 2 MK5

One better sub now and one later: Hsu VTF-3 MK5 or VTF-15H MK2

There would be no point in using one of your existing subs with a much better one. It will be completely dwarfed by any of the Hsu subs in both output and frequency response. Any of these Hsu subs will get you solid, usable bass down to 20 Hz with proper room placement.

For what It's worth, I used to have a Deftech Supercube 2000 in my theater system, which they (deftech) rate to 20 Hz. It had no usable output under 30 Hz. They rate the prosub 1000 to 18 Hz, which I highly doubt they're achieving based on the design and my previous experience with their subs.
Sorry for the late reply, but out of all three of those subs would having only one now be an upgrade even the vtf 2 mk5 coming from the dual pro sub 1000s

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis